Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Classifieds > Wanted

Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
HONDACBR600RR
Jesse

Motorcycles: Gsx-r1000 Dyna Road Glide Road king
Name:
sport bike hitch carrier ** ADVICE**

Going to Thunderhill on Monday the 15th. My truck took a 💩. Don't really want to pull a trailer. I'm very skeptical about these hitch carriers but I like the idea. Anyone have one for sale cheap or have one I can borrow/ try out before I spend money on something I don't like. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HONDACBR600RR; 10-11-2018 at 10:43 AM..
HONDACBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
Moto Beck
The Longest Title Allowed

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 Triumph 765 RS
Name:
i know this is not what you want but Uhaul moto trailer rental for a weekend at Thill typically cost me $25 and they hook it up for you if that's a concern for you. I tow it with my little 4 banger turbo GTI - works great.

2 reservations about the hitch carriers:

1. in the unfortunate even you crash - you may not be able to get the bike home with that kind of trailer depending on how bad the damage is

2. tongue weight on those can be tricky given the amount of up and down force your bike may exert on hitch when you go over bumps may be more than the tongue weight when it's sitting stationary.
Moto Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
HONDACBR600RR
Jesse

Motorcycles: Gsx-r1000 Dyna Road Glide Road king
Name:
Moto Beck. All good points, I have a Yukon capable of holding the tounge weight and an open motorcycle trailer i I just hate being speed resticted. Buy I never thought about the being rear ended with the hitch carrier. ��
HONDACBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
Moto Beck
The Longest Title Allowed

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 Triumph 765 RS
Name:
on my first point - it's less about getting in an auto accident (though that could happen) and more about if you crash at the track on your motorcycle.

Those hitch carriers basically have a ramp that both tires need to sit into - if you take some heavy front end damage in a crash for example - you may not be able to get the bike back up onto the carrier to get it home vs. a trailer you tow - if you really had to throw it all into the bed of the trailer if you had to.

Again - it's a less likely scenario but it's what kept me away from using one.

Also i may have been lucky but i typically put the cruise control on at 65mph when towing and haven't had an issue with police. Still is slow but haven't had a problem (YMMV)

Last edited by Moto Beck; 10-11-2018 at 01:34 PM..
Moto Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Aware
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda
Name: Steve
I have one. I've used it on my RV and my truck. Always makes me a bit nervous, but not had any terminal issues. One time I hitched my bike to the RV and took it to Seattle!

If your truck is long bed and long wheelbase, it might get light at the front, which may limit your speed a little. But it certainly seems fine for 80mph cruising.
Aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
I’m tempted to to get one but the hitch weight (all 425lbs is on it) and the geometry of the tie-downs keep me away.
The U-Hail trailer is easy and pretty cheap and holds a lot of gear.
Slow Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
Stratman
Paisan

Motorcycles: SV650, CRF230/sm
Name:
Check out joehauler.com. Made in a small shop in the USA. Mine is rated for 600 lbs., and has been modified to add a third tie-down point in the middle of the carrier in case one of the handlebar tie-downs breaks (which happened on the freeway). I have had my carrier for years and it works great for me, but there are a few things to know.

The hauler is steel and weighs about 55 lbs., so squatting and inserting it into the hitch can be a test for your lower back.

Definitely a good idea to invest in quality rear shocks if needed, and your steering/handling will feel different, so allow plenty of gap for braking and any emergency maneuvers. I transport my 240lb. dirt/supermoto bike, and haven't transported a heavier street bike, so I imagine this issue would be even more noticeable with the increased weight on the hitch.

You will likely block one or both of your brake/turn signals, so you may want to pick up some magnetic tow lights that will plug into your wiring harness.

Your license plate will be blocked, but I have never been pulled over for it.

The upside is that it is nice to cruise in any lane on the freeway. I found my joe hauler for $150 on CL about 10 years ago. I think they sell for about $400-500 new.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote