Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 12-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
AkA_WooDy
Veteran

Motorcycles: -[Sold]'07 ZX6R -[Sold] '02 CB900F 919 -Kawi ZRX1200R
Name: Vadim
Motorcycle trip to/from Nicaragua | Volunteer Work

Hello fellow riders,

I've been a member here since 2010, but haven't really been active.
Though, I have to say that BARF brought me some very close and dear friends.

So, go on with the business; 
I plan to have a motorcycle trip from SF down to Nicaragua, to volunteer build a clinic there in a remote village, near Chinandega, then back up to Cali.
Thats kinda short version of things.

With that I’m asking for your help.

Here is a link to my crowdfunding, with a full story of what and why I’m doing it:
http://bit.ly/2SbPcPg

Everything and anything helps really, I will highly appreciate even a good word, “share” or a smile

To moders: I could not find a right place to put this topic to, please move it if i’m wrong in thread selection.

Last edited by AkA_WooDy; 12-29-2018 at 12:11 AM..
AkA_WooDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
NoTraffic
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2nd Gen FZ1 / Oil Cooled 1200RT
Name:
NoTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #3
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650 Honda Click
Name:
Mainly I see the budget for this trip this way:
- Restore/Prepare my ZRX for the trip - Hopefully under $2.000
- Motorcycle gear/bags - hopefully under $1.500
- Gas Money - better overestimate and say about $2.500
- Hostels/Food - that I have not priced yet, maybe under $1.500

Seems like it would be really easy to save that on bay area wages. Are you planning on working and saving or are you just planning for others to pay for you?

I'd start by buying the gear used and working/saving myself.
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
AkA_WooDy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalkid View Post
Mainly I see the budget for this trip this way:
- Restore/Prepare my ZRX for the trip - Hopefully under $2.000
- Motorcycle gear/bags - hopefully under $1.500
- Gas Money - better overestimate and say about $2.500
- Hostels/Food - that I have not priced yet, maybe under $1.500

Seems like it would be really easy to save that on bay area wages. Are you planning on working and saving or are you just planning for others to pay for you?

I'd start by buying the gear used and working/saving myself.
Hah, that's an awesome way to put to, "others to pay for me".

Of course I saved some money to go on such trip.

Not only that I take a motorcycle trip down and up, but I also plan to work(donít get confused, volunteer work, no pay) there for about month to a month and a half.

Now you put time together, and that rounds up to be ~3 months Iíll be gone from ďdefault worldĒ life. Meaning that Iíll have to cover 3 months of rent, bills, other things that one spends a month.

So the actual budget is >$10K.

Back to your point;
No, Iím not asking others to pay for my trip, Iím asking to help me with going on this trip.
Yeah, I did work. Lots of work. Saved.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Name:
[QUOTE= No, Iím not asking others to pay for my trip, Iím asking to help me with going on this trip. .[/QUOTE]

Isn't that a two sided request?
Asking for funds is asking people to pay for you.

Not trying to disrespect or call out your honorable intentions, you seem sincere.
What you plan to do is honorable, and adventurous.

I have worked as a volunteer in Honduras and Nicaragua via the Military.
Our security was paramount as we helped rebuild homes, orphanages and we also built clinics for the people.
Rewarding to say the least.

Also have you considered the security situation?
Once you get past a certain point in Central America there is little to none as far as police to protect the people as you travel.
There are plenty of factions that would like to kidnap someone who is considered (American) and hold them hostage. Just saying.
Its advisable to let those back home to know where you are who you are with when you travel anywhere.

Maybe flying to and from then buying a used bike down there would be better for you.
Just my .02, maybe this puts a little more perspective on the trip as a whole.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
AkA_WooDy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Isn't that a two sided request?
Asking for funds is asking people to pay for you.

Not trying to disrespect or call out your honorable intentions, you seem sincere.
What you plan to do is honorable, and adventurous.

I have worked as a volunteer in Honduras and Nicaragua via the Military.
Our security was paramount as we helped rebuild homes, orphanages and we also built clinics for the people.
Rewarding to say the least.

Also have you considered the security situation?
Once you get past a certain point in Central America there is little to none as far as police to protect the people as you travel.
There are plenty of factions that would like to kidnap someone who is considered (American) and hold them hostage. Just saying.
Its advisable to let those back home to know where you are who you are with when you travel anywhere.

Maybe flying to and from then buying a used bike down there would be better for you.
Just my .02, maybe this puts a little more perspective on the trip as a whole.
First off, thanks for kind words.
I have to admit, I might have come out lil too rough in my previous responseÖ

I absolutely agree with you, request is two sided, of course. There is no other way about it, none that I see.

I want to be extremely clear about my intention and intention of my campaign.

Now, about the dangers;
Thank you very much for warning me, yeah, Iíve heard those before. I guess itís a risk that Iíll have to take while there. I am ok with that.
I will advice with my friends in Mexico and all of the countries on the way, and try to do my best to avoid shady areas as much as I can. Thatís probably the only thing that I can do.

About buying the bike there;
Iíve considered it, I did. It seems like an option. Though speaking to fellas that live there and in surrounding countries Iíve got that bikes(good quality/condition/etc) are more expensive, harder to get.
Seems like riding down is the best choice I have.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkA_WooDy View Post
Iíve considered it, I did. It seems like an option. Though speaking to fellas that live there and in surrounding countries Iíve got that bikes(good quality/condition/etc) are more expensive, harder to get.
I don't know about the other countries in Central America, but in Mexico you can get a brand new Italika 200 dual sport for under $1500 US. They sell them in department stores there.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #8
AkA_WooDy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
I don't know about the other countries in Central America, but in Mexico you can get a brand new Italika 200 dual sport for under $1500 US. They sell them in department stores there.
Yeah, I may give it a second thought.
Could be a good idea, also a time saver.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:21 PM   #9
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
I would fly to Managua, buy your bike there.
You avoid 4,000 miles of monkey-butt, bandits, naughty police, and road hazards.

Whatever you do, Avoid Culiacan, Sinaloa. Trust me on that one.

Good luck with your campaign.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
AkA_WooDy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-rama View Post
I would fly to Managua, buy your bike there.
You avoid 4,000 miles of monkey-butt, bandits, naughty police, and road hazards.

Whatever you do, Avoid Culiacan, Sinaloa. Trust me on that one.

Good luck with your campaign.
That is some valuable information, right there! Thanks!
Old 12-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #11
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
First of all,

Plenty of people traveling Central America, the security situation really isn't a big deal unless you go to a few specific areas. So have an awesome trip and meet as many people as you can since that is often the most fun. I was in Corinto and Chinnendaga about 15 years ago when everyone was still terrified of Nicaragua and had a lovely time.

Secondly, giving you money to get to Nicaragua in the most expensive way possible to work for a month or two is a hugely inefficient use of funds for helping people in need. So if you really want to be helpful don't ask others to fund you vacation, ask them to contribute directly to whatever non-profit organization you would like to help.

I get that your heart is in the right spot, but if you really want to help, think about how to do it well and effectively.

As far as social media goes, unless you really enjoy doing that stuff I wouldn't bother. While your trip feels big to you it is common enough to be pretty mundane and it's unlikely many people will be interested. Enjoy being there instead of trying to post about everything you do, it will be far more rewarding in the end.

Last edited by bpw; 12-29-2018 at 07:03 PM..
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #12
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650 Honda Click
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkA_WooDy View Post
First off, thanks for kind words.
I have to admit, I might have come out lil too rough in my previous responseÖ

I absolutely agree with you, request is two sided, of course. There is no other way about it, none that I see.

I want to be extremely clear about my intention and intention of my campaign.

Now, about the dangers;
Thank you very much for warning me, yeah, Iíve heard those before. I guess itís a risk that Iíll have to take while there. I am ok with that.
I will advice with my friends in Mexico and all of the countries on the way, and try to do my best to avoid shady areas as much as I can. Thatís probably the only thing that I can do.

Have you looked into renting? Not sure if it's a possibility there but I have rented in Thailand, Vietnam and Philippines. Easier and cheaper than buying if only there for a short time and you don't need a real cross country bike to do day trips exploring if your working 5 days a week.

I eventually bought a bike in Thailand(scooter). It's kinda a pain in the ass to buy and sell for a short holiday. I just leave it there at a buddies place for when I'm in town.

Working the travel time (extra month working) would probably pay for the trip. Get a mileage bonus CC and cancel before they charge you, free flight with the sign up bonus. 2 grand a month probably more than enough to live comfortably down there. I just returned from Colombia in December, free flight using miles(about $70 in fees), spent about $50 a day staying in hotels and spending freely(staying in monthly place and having something to do all day would be cheaper), travel insurance runs me about $50 a month (500k usd policy).

I also plan to ride Central America. I get it, it's about the adventure of getting there. But it's not the cheapest or quickest option.
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote