Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Welcome Mat > Newbies

Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
matt7481

Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi V7
Name:
Hi, Newb Here...

Just a quick hello to the forum.

I am totally new (couple of months in) rider from San Francisco.

This is the classic mid-life crisis situation, decided at 40 something to try this moto stuff out and really got the bug. I was fortunate as a brit living in the US to be able to take the CBT class last year in the UK and will be doing the CMSP beginner class in a couple of weeks, plus hopefully the intermediate later this year.

Meantime I was fortunate to pick up a great 2016 Moto Guzzi V7ii and am really enjoying my neighborhood and local car parks. There'll probably be many people thinking that's too much bike for a new guy, but honestly a lot of research went into the choice with big factors being traction control and ABS. So far it's been perfect for me if not everyone.

Anyway, just saying hi. I will probably be more of a lurker on the forums for a while as I gain knowledge and experience.

Thanks
matt7481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
The best safety feature any bike will have is your right hand, and your control of it! That includes both throttle and front brake. If you're easy on the controls, any bike can be safe, from a Ninja 250 all the way up to a Turbo Busa.

Leave your ego at the door, ride your own ride, and have smiles among many miles

295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.

really like the modern V7s ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Matt

Hope you enjoy teh barf!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the CMSP course vs. CBT.

with a
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army

AMA #: 2818353
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor ++!

Motorcycles: Screaming yellow 2006 BMW K1200R, baby!
Name: SweeperBot
Whups, wrong emoji -

Welcome to BARFing, Matt! Gear up, please. Full armored leather or armored synthetic, full-face helmet, gloves, and over-ankle boots.

BARF has the "Gear for Sale" subforum, there are places that have consignment gear, and there's www.motorcyclegear.com that has last years stuff for lower-than-new prices. Although if you just bought a 'Guzzi and are living in Frisco, you're probably making enough coin to have any gear you want...

Come on out to our Social Gatherings, hit up some group rides (we don't block traffic or (generally) have huge masses of asshat clowns on bikes), have fun in the best area for riding on the planet.

Shoot me a PM if you want to get out & discover some great roads, or hit one of the "Ride with the Hun" events, etc.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - President John F. Kennedy, Democrat

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 01-28-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
matt7481

Name:
Thanks for the welcome all.

One minor benefit of starting late in life is that I had some disposable income to budget for gear. Believe me gear was my absolute first priority and I'm fully armored from head to toe.

Will definitely do a CBT vs CMSP comparison once I've completed the CMSP. The main difference practically is that the CBT includes a mandatory 2 hour road ride (with instructors) including all types of roads, traffic and junctions except freeways. That really gave me a head start on riding the roads even if it was on the wrong side!!

Once I get a bit more confidence I'll definitely be looking into social events and rides, but maybe not quite yet.

Really proud of myself this weekend as I did a tour of the Presidio including the very tricky left turn at Arguello & Washington. If you don't know it that baby will really test your clutch and throttle control.

Thanks again for the welcome!!
Old 01-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Welcome!

Where are you taking your basic course at?

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
matt7481

Name:
@motomania2007 Hi, thanks for the welcome. I'm taking it at Northern California Motorcycle Training in San Mateo on Feb 9/10 if anyone else happens to read this thread and will be attending I'll see you there.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #9
DarthData
Rookie

Motorcycles: MT-09
Name:

I almost bought that bike; well, the v7iii. I hope to see you on the road and be able to check out your sweet motorcycle. Ride safe!
DarthData is offline   Reply With Quote