Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Classifieds > Moto Wanted

Old 07-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #76
DucatiHoney
Ride only user

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota-Bike-RR View Post
I wanted to ask you guys am I suppose to hang off the monster as if I was riding a sport bike going into turns?
Well, that depends... how much do you want to impress the girls workin' behind the counter at Starbucks?

s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #77
monstermonster
Veteran

Motorcycles: '03 Ducati M1000SS by FlightCycles, Yamaha Vino 125 (vroom vroom!), '07 SV650 (just cuz)
Name:
Congrats on your monster.

Quote:
I wanted to ask you guys am I suppose to hang off the monster as if I was riding a sport bike going into turns?
It's not a tard, so yes. You'll find that if you have the stock rearsets and stock pipes, you have more limited ground clearance than whatever fairing japanese bike you're used to riding (R1?). So hanging off is even more important.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #78
Toyota-Bike-RR
Veteran

Motorcycles: Yammy R-1000
Name:
The bike came with some aftermarket pipes and rearsets, so the clearance should be better than stock. When I try to hang off, it feels like the tank wont be able to help keep me on the bike. On the R1 I have tank grips there so it helps a lot, and I feel much more confident.
Toyota-Bike-RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #79
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Hildi
Name: Jason
What kind of Monster is it?

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #80
monstermonster
Veteran

Motorcycles: '03 Ducati M1000SS by FlightCycles, Yamaha Vino 125 (vroom vroom!), '07 SV650 (just cuz)
Name:
Quote:
The bike came with some aftermarket pipes and rearsets, so the clearance should be better than stock. When I try to hang off, it feels like the tank wont be able to help keep me on the bike. On the R1 I have tank grips there so it helps a lot, and I feel much more confident.
The shape of the monster tank just doesn't allow as good a lock-off with your outer knee as an SBK does. You won't fall off, but it just won't feel as secure. That said, many folks have tracked their monsters just fine. But you'll have to work a little harder on body position to get it right. You can't rely on the ergos to hold your body in there like you can on your R1. You'll get used it it, but you're right that it's not as confidence inspiring.

If you brake really hard coming into a turn with your body already set up for the turn (i.e. ready to hang off, with your leg/inner thigh in the middle where the tank meets the seat), you'll notice another problem with the monster tank shape. Your leg will feel like it wants to slide up the tank, whereas on your R1, it'll feel more locked. Like with your outer leg, it'll hold just fine, but it's not as confidence inspiring.