Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Non Moto Activities

Old 09-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #1
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Paragliding...

There is nothing like the magic of running into the air...anyone else fly?

bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

One of the best...

Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
James
Veteran

Motorcycles: CT90, YZ-250, WR-450, FZ-1
Name:
Not sure how I missed this. Yes, there is at least 1 other. I happen to know a good handful of other riders/paragliders. I will add some pictures later, but I am a local pilot. P4, fly an Ikuma and Redout normally. May have been busted for flying closed areas. But, who knows.

I have sold a bike to fund a wing. It's that powerful.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #4
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
I'm considering taking it up as my next outdoor activity. What I'm really interested in is powered paragliding, but I'm not sure how much of the area where I want to fly is off limits. The Snake River Birds of Prey Conservation Area as well as the flight paths for the local airport and Air Force base might just make most of the good stuff unavailable.

I'm planning to contact a local paragliding school in a few months - after it warms up - to find out more. I've read books on the subject and joined paraglidingforum.com. I have a pretty good understanding of most of the risks.

It is still not clear how long it takes to learn enough to start flying on my own if I have daily instruction. There is a pretty good hill here near Horseshoe Bend, but I would consider going to Utah and learning on that great hill in Lehi (where I used to ride motorcycles many years ago).
Old 02-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
davidmc
Moto Traveler

Motorcycles: ‘16 BMW R1200GSA, ‘16 Moto Guzzi V7ii Stronello
Name: Dave
Those videos look familiar! Hi Ben. 😊

I’m a paraglider pilot too, P4 rated and flying for 9+ years. Lots of paragliders ride bikes too!
Old 02-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
davidmc
Moto Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
I'm considering taking it up as my next outdoor activity. What I'm really interested in is powered paragliding, but I'm not sure how much of the area where I want to fly is off limits. The Snake River Birds of Prey Conservation Area as well as the flight paths for the local airport and Air Force base might just make most of the good stuff unavailable.

I'm planning to contact a local paragliding school in a few months - after it warms up - to find out more. I've read books on the subject and joined paraglidingforum.com. I have a pretty good understanding of most of the risks.

It is still not clear how long it takes to learn enough to start flying on my own if I have daily instruction. There is a pretty good hill here near Horseshoe Bend, but I would consider going to Utah and learning on that great hill in Lehi (where I used to ride motorcycles many years ago).
Scott, even if you would prefer powered paragliding, I would highly recommend you get certified as an USHPA P2 pilot first. You will be a much safer pilot as a result.

If you want to go to Utah to learn, Point of the Mountain in Draper has some excellent schools. I can give you recommendations offline if you are interested. Figure about 9-12 days of instruction to get your P2 novice certification, which will enable you to fly independently, although flying with others when starting out will be highly recommended as P2 is just the first step.

The paragliding communities all over the country (and the world) are very supportive and welcoming of new pilots and the people are one of the best things about the sport. I was recently president of the local club in the Bay Area for 4 years so I’m happy to help answer questions if interested. Feel free to contact me offline.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
Mike95060
Figured it out!

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 CRF 250X
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
There is nothing like the magic of running into the air...anyone else fly?

Good friend of mine has competed in the red bull x alps. I got to fly tandem with him in baja back in 99. Good times.

You should always be looking for new ways to have fun.
I'm not a nostalgic guy. I'll talk about the past when someone asks, but I'm always looking at what's next for fun.
That's what has kept me pushing forward all these years. - Bob Mctavish
Mike95060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
James
Veteran

Name:
Red Bull X alps is a sweet event. It may be considered a bit hard to watch. The film crews have their hands full trying to keep up with those guys.

I leave Sat for a trip to Mexico for flying. I will try to bring back some video.

If anyone is riding Highway 1 on a nice day, stop off at Pacifica and pull into Mussel Rock. Anytime there is west wind, you will people flying. Makes for a fun break.

James
Old 02-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
I never ventured into that dimension, or lack there of.
But, hey, many of my like minded pals have. Some have turned into grownups with airplanes and shit.

Fuckers.

Anyhow, on topic. Way cool.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
James
Veteran

Name:
One of the cool things about paragliding is that our launches are shared with a lot of the popular dirt biking spots in Mendocino, Lake County, Tahoe, and everywhere south. Potato Hill looms over Stonyford. Elk Mountain is on the ride up to Middle Creek, and the landing zone is the camp ground. With the complete kit fitting into a back pack, why not throw it in and, if the conditions allow, go for an evening flight.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Dubermun
Veteran

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki ninja
Name: Tony
Add this to a list of badass hobbies that I can’t afford.
Dubermun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Mt Tam delivered yesterday, couple hour flight with climbs to 3700 feet. Nothing epic, but hard to complain about the views.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #13
James
Veteran

Name:
Here's a couple launches and a landing at Tapalpa, MX. Such a great week! Had 14 pilots. Cannot wait to hit it again. *edit, finally figured out how to embed.

youtu.be/I1Tw7q6nStE

Last edited by James; 03-03-2019 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: can't get it embedded....
Old 03-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #14
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
Mt Tam delivered yesterday, couple hour flight with climbs to 3700 feet. Nothing epic, but hard to complain about the views.
You can stay aloft for a couple hours in one go?

How do you handle the issue of starting in one place, landing in another, and the details of managing you car/stuff?
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #15
davidmc
Moto Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
You can stay aloft for a couple hours in one go?

How do you handle the issue of starting in one place, landing in another, and the details of managing you car/stuff?
Even longer than a couple of hours is possible. This paragliding distance record has surpassed 500km (in Brazil) and this means flying almost all day long. Of course different sites have different flying potential and a lot depends on your skill and experience level. A couple of hours in the Bay Area is usually considered an excellent flight if flying in thermal conditions. At the coast in Pacifica using ridge lift you could fly all afternoon without your feet ever touching the ground.

Taking off and flying without knowing where you will land is called going Cross Country or XC. Landing out means ideally landing near a road or within hiking distance to a road. Then it’s either calling your buddies to pick you up or hitchhiking back. Sometimes the ride back is more adventurous than the flight depending on who picks you up. I’ve had friends picked up by tweakers and Neo-Nazis but people rarely get stranded!

Last edited by davidmc; 03-03-2019 at 03:24 PM..
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote