Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 Multistrada ST
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
$10 head, $10 helmet. That is true. The difference between an $80 Chinese helmet and a $500 Arai is how they are made. Look at what the racers wear, none wear the junk helmets. None.

The safest helmet is a Suburban.
You can not buy the helmets the pros wear. They are custom fit (that fit thing again). If you get a helmet from a pro the straps will be cut because they have not passed DOT or Snell.
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
Gixxergirl1000
AFM #731

Official BARF Roadside Angel BARFIE winner 2014
BARFIE winner 2014
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + BB
Barf Roadside Angel Leader

Motorcycles: GSXR-1000; GSX-R 450 Triple race bike "Timmay"; GS 500 race bike "The Murderbike"
Name: Connie
I wear an Arai because it fits my head the best. My next helmet will probably be an AGV, because the fit was almost exactly what the Arai is, and that's what Jason over at Motowrx can hook me up with for my racing.

What matters the most is that it properly fit your head. I'd take a properly fitting Z1R over a poorly fitting Arai in a crash any day.
Try helmets on, have an expert properly fit it, and then get the lightest of the good fitting that you can afford. If you're going to spend 8+ hours or so a day riding, the lightest helmet out of the lot of best fitting will make a real difference in how you feel at the end of the day.

TMU Local 209- Road Captain- cuz Roundboy sez so!

Check out my website & read my race reports: RoadsideAngelRacing.com

Jim Perry~ my <3 10/18/08 Steve "Cygnus" Hempler 12/2/10 Gary Jaehne 5/19/12 Dad 11/22/13
Gixxergirl1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
corndog67
Pissant Squid

Motorcycles: KTM 950 SM Weapon
Name: Robert
I ran into those guys at Road Rider buying those helmets.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
Gixxergirl1000
AFM #731

BARFIE winner 2014

Motorcycles: GSXR-1000; GSX-R 450 Triple race bike "Timmay"; GS 500 race bike "The Murderbike"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeama View Post
You can not buy the helmets the pros wear. They are custom fit (that fit thing again). If you get a helmet from a pro the straps will be cut because they have not passed DOT or Snell.
Actually, I don't think that part is accurate... I know a couple of people in the industry that were given helmets used by some of the Moto GP racers over the years, and none of them had the straps cut...

Jim Perry~ my <3 10/18/08 Steve "Cygnus" Hempler 12/2/10 Gary Jaehne 5/19/12 Dad 11/22/13
Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
injun
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZRX 1200- Cagiva Gran Canyon
Name: nobody
contrary to what some believe you can indeed purchase a snell non dot certified helmet here in the states look at most simpson race helmets -non dot -I have several years experience with them and will vouch for them, today I use a Shoei I have a Shoei head Arai just does not fit my melon, fit and comfort is foremost so you can concentrate on the task at hand
"It's like standing in the rain with a sieve trying to catch a bucket of water" Adam Guzzo! RIP 4-11-15 A great painter and friend.
injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #21
joespeedfast
WTF LOL

Motorcycles: wHookers and Blow!
Name: Juliojuanv
Pro racers most often wear what they get paid to wear. Certainly, HJC and KBC(Mladin) amongst others, are "cheap" helmets that are very good. And yes, at that level and certainly in MGP, the ones they wear are not like the ones we can buy.

Last edited by joespeedfast; 01-29-2013 at 06:42 PM..
joespeedfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
corndog67
Pissant Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeama View Post
Most of the local pros I've ever known bought their own helmets, most did not have helmet sponsors. And they generally used Arai or Shoei. I know Lorenzo and Spies aren't using off the shelf helmets.

I'll make a comparison to tires. Cheng Shin makes a usable tire that holds air very well. At 1/4 the cost if a Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin or Bridgestone. No matter what the magazines say, you know and I know, they aren't the same. I feel the same way about helmets. A critical piece of safety gear. I'm not going to cheap out on tires, or the single most important piece of gear you wear.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
ToraTora

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Cool Other Fish in the Sea

Last edited by ToraTora; 07-02-2015 at 12:30 PM..
ToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 Multistrada ST
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxergirl1000 View Post
Actually, I don't think that part is accurate... I know a couple of people in the industry that were given helmets used by some of the Moto GP racers over the years, and none of them had the straps cut...
Chris Carr is a good friend and he has to cut the straps on the Arai's he gives away.
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
Much depends on your individual melon and facial shape.

You should visit a moto store that stocks different brands of helmets and try them all, Bell, Shoei, Arai, Suomy, Shark, AGV, Scorpion, Icon, Nolan, HJC, KBC, .

It's a mistake to ask us to tell you what helmet fits your melon. You should try and tell us what fits your melon.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
corndog67
Pissant Squid

You're right Robbie, but some people I know pick a helmet strictly by color and graphics, fit be damned.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
russ69
Backside Slider

Motorcycles: I like 'em
Name: Russ
The Hurt report said any helmet is a good helmet, IIRC.
russ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #28
Gixxergirl1000
AFM #731

BARFIE winner 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
The Hurt report said any helmet is a good helmet, IIRC.
They started research on the Hurt report in what, 1976? And it was published in 1981... I remember helmets from back then... there weren't a lot of differences between the brands. And yeah- compared to NO helmet, any helmet is a good helmet.

There is such a HUGE selection available today, that finding the exact right helmet for your individual head within your budget is easy to do.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #29
monkeythumpa
When I go slow, I go fast

Motorcycles: V-Strom 650, XT250, XR50 (son's), KLX110 (other son's) (Past: R1200GS, ZR-7S, V-Star 650, Vulcan 500
Name: mnkythmpa
The difference between high end and middle priced helmets are about 4% more crashes result in a concussion. Are cheap helmets worth the risk?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #30
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Hildi
Name: Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeythumpa View Post
The difference between high end and middle priced helmets are about 4% more crashes result in a concussion. Are cheap helmets worth the risk?
Honestly, I don't think it's about safety as much as it is features and quality of materials and craftsmanship. KBC and HJC are cheaper because they're made with cheaper materials and not to the same quality standards as the big names. Does that mean they're less safe? IMO, no. However, I do have a Shoei helmet. YMMV

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is online now   Reply With Quote