Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #61
Tydive
Rides every day

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: '13 V-Strom 650
Name: Ty
I would like to read your reevu review very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorFA View Post
I think you're the first guy I know of that has worn an Arai and a Shoei and worn them well. I sure couldn't!

I have dabbled in a few other brands as well. I really liked the Scorpion I had but it didn't last. Damned thing just fell apart on me. The Icon was a bust. And the O'Neal, the cheapest of the bunch, I still have and wear on occasion. But invariably I tend to go back to Shoei and probably always will. Like anything else, once you build trust in a brand, you tend to stick with it.
When I had more hair the RF1000 fit pretty well. Now I wear the Arai Profile for my long dome.

I've only had unknown '70s bubble helmets, old Bell, Nolan, Shoei, and now Arai. I've traded up pretty much every 5-7 years. I like that I can get new pads for the Profile every few years. Daily use can be rough on shields and pads. Really love the airflow on the Arai well worth the premium for me. Is it safer than brand X? I dunno :shrug life is a gamble.
Tydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #62
Dr. Evil
Mother of God.

Contributor

Motorcycles: '99 BMW R1100R (Ozzy)
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivetgirl View Post
1. Arai Corsair
2. Shoei x-twleve
3. Shark Race-R
My pick is the Shark. They have a unique foam contouring system that lets them (theoretically, anyway) absorb more force before it's transmitted to your grape, and their visors are about 50% thicker, in my experience, than Asian helmets and most European ones.

Quote:
Thanks for reading - sorry for being so long-winded!
You've obviously never been in the Sink and seen any of my posts.
You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be. -- VAdm. James Stockdale, USN
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #63
RaptorFA
EarShplitinloudenboomer

Motorcycles: Yes
Name: Dennis
I've been curious about the Shark but don't know where I can go to actually look at one.

So is there a local shop that carries the Shark brand that has enough stock and selection on hand that you can go, see, touch, try on etc.? I will not buy a helmet online. Gotta try it on and do all those things.
RaptorFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #64
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Hildi
Name: Jason
I've heard Hollister Honda carries Shark and also Road Rider.

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #65
ilikefood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Suzuki DR-Z400SM, Ducati ST4
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiker73 View Post
so features, build quality, comfort aside. Is still no more safe?!.. :WTF

Do yourself a favor and stop by a bike shop with a healthy selection of helmets. I wouldn't trust my head to some of the crap out there that is DOT certified. I love my Arai and yes, I am biased. Quality can do that to a person.
A "safest helmet" is one that protects your head the best in an accident - would you agree? Features, build quality, and comfort make a helmet nicer to live with, but have NO influence on what happens when your head hits the pavement. That's why your Arai - nice as it is - isn't necessarily any safer than a much cheaper Snell-certified helmet.
ilikefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #66
ilikefood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Suzuki DR-Z400SM, Ducati ST4
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiker73 View Post
so features, build quality, comfort aside. Is still no more safe?!.. :WTF

Do yourself a favor and stop by a bike shop with a healthy selection of helmets. I wouldn't trust my head to some of the crap out there that is DOT certified. I love my Arai and yes, I am biased. Quality can do that to a person.
Oh, and here is an article from someone who actually tested expensive helmets vs. cheaper DOT-only ones. And it turns out that the cheapo helmets can actually be BETTER than the Snell-certified ones:

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf
ilikefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #67
joespeedfast
WTF LOL

Motorcycles: wHookers and Blow!
Name: Juliojuanv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefood View Post
Oh, and here is an article from someone who actually tested expensive helmets vs. cheaper DOT-only ones. And it turns out that the cheapo helmets can actually be BETTER than the Snell-certified ones:

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf
REPOST!
joespeedfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #68
RaptorFA
EarShplitinloudenboomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
I've heard Hollister Honda carries Shark and also Road Rider.
Road Rider eh? Cool. I didn't notice Shark last time I was in there, but then again, I wasn't really looking for Shark at the time. There be a lot of lids on that wall! I will pay closer attention next time I'm in. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #69
2nsane
WILD CARD

Contributor + BB

Motorcycles: 2006 CRF 525 BB Stroker
Name: Danno
The safest helmet is the one you decide to wear. I see 90% of the riders here in SC with a skin n hair helmet. No wonder my insurance went up

Goldmember of the Barf Chapter of the Ancient Order of TrustyGOLDEN Shellbacks
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government
2nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #70
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Hildi
Name: Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorFA View Post
Road Rider eh? Cool. I didn't notice Shark last time I was in there, but then again, I wasn't really looking for Shark at the time. There be a lot of lids on that wall! I will pay closer attention next time I'm in. Thanks!
I'd call first. Just what I've heard.

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #71
RaptorFA
EarShplitinloudenboomer

Copy that. Actually, it's just an excuse to go in there and see what trouble I can get into!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #72
ToraTora

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Cool

Last edited by ToraTora; 07-02-2015 at 12:29 PM..
ToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #73
originalsturge
litre bikes are fun

Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel/ Contributor +

Motorcycles: 13 RC8R touring edition
Name: Dan Sturge
the newest one i have a lust for is the schuberth s2. of all the helmets ive ever put on my dome(shoei, arai, scorpion, agv, hjc,bell,707, and some no name lids) it was the one that gave me a "come to jesus" feeling. fit is awesome and the features are nice only downside is like the other top end lids its 700 bones. its on my bday list if anyone wants to know what to get me this year.

If it wasn't for capital punishment, there wouldn't be a Christian religion.

"The people of the Night understand that the world is a toilet and if you find something that makes you happy before you're flushed, more power to you." Eldritch

"To wave to existing riders is like saying good to see you and hopefully we cross paths again. An agreement that neither rider will do anything to endanger such future passing."-withonor
originalsturge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #74
bluesjr
Veteran

AMA #: #2771654
Contributor

Motorcycles: V-Twin
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdt509 View Post
you left three very important factors... and field of view from one helmet to the next....
all these helmet threads and this is the 1st time I've seen this mentioned. The difference in views between my Scorpion and Bell are dramatic. I had to black-tape off the upper 3rd of the visor with the Bell due to combination of upright ergos and sensitive eyes. The Bell would probably be fine for a sportbike.

btw, some of the worst fit advice I've gotten was at moto shops. It's been trial and error for me.