Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #61
Cafe Racer
King of this hill

AMA #2881773
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: ...fall in love with me.
Name: Miguel
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
I made a post once on Yelp about how they shouldn't shut down the entire highway for a funeral procession for two firefighters. I made points about how they're paid, they signed up for the job, etc, and inconveniencing thousands of people with a hero worship funeral didn't really benefit most people. Hell they had people flying in from other states by the thousands, and additionally most crews were being run on skeleton crews because everybody was at the funeral thus ironically endangering more people.

The backlash was...EPIC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Yep, I should have expected it, but I was in a silly frame of mind at the time. What was funny were the occasional people defending me and saying I had a point, and even more funny the people trying to shut me up by simply being louder and angrier than I was.

I can't even have a civil discussion in this country about how signing up for the military doesn't automatically make you a hero without getting threatened with physical violence, so it shouldn't surprise me.
So, as a San Francisco fireman and a good friend of the deceased with whom I have worked side by side with for many years. A brother on duty and friend off duty. I take offense to your privileged comments.

We choose a career just as everyone else makes a choice. Our choice to serve the public has its dangers. we don't agree to give our lives for the job but we will put ourself in risk to make a difference in someone else's life. my good friend lost his life in the line of duty and it still hurts everyday.

so f*** you for your comments.

Miguel
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #62
shouldnthave
Taze away, Yana...

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ GOP + 1%

Motorcycles: Sure
Name: J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
So, as a San Francisco fireman and a good friend of the deceased with whom I have worked side by side with for many years. A brother on duty and friend off duty. I take offense to your privileged comments.

We choose a career just as everyone else makes a choice. Our choice to serve the public has its dangers. we don't agree to give our lives for the job but we will put ourself in risk to make a difference in someone else's life. my good friend lost his life in the line of duty and it still hurts everyday.

so f*** you for your comments.

Miguel
Sorry about your buddy.

I had a very close friend that worked at a 7-11. He was shot 15 times for a carton of smokes, and $47. My little brother was run over by a drunk driver when he was seven whilst standing in the street playing kick-ball with three other kids. All if them lived except my brother, though none of them are fully recovered.

My GF (read soul mate) of eight years was killed by a drunk driver along with her two best friends whilst on a road trip to Moab a few years back. I have had countless friends die from crashes, mishaps, war, and brazen carelessness.

Only one of them was ever given a parade (he was an on-duty police officer), and he was no better than any single one of my fallen friends. So, you know what? You can take your self fulfilling "my friend was better than you because of X", and shove it up your self-righteous ass.

Sorry for your loss
shouldnthave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #63
Cire 5th
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 13' Triumph Daytona 675
Name:
Whoa lets calm it down folks, we know how each feels for the other, the opposite sides here.

We just got take in the fact that public servants will always be held in the higher regards and receive some special treatment. To some it sucks but that's the way it goes.

From what I heard this firefighter actually saved lives (20) years ago in a fire in a building, according to the news.

I just don't understand why he just didn't let someone else drive knowing he was drunk, like I mentioned before I'm pretty sure he was not the only firefighter working that night.

So, just like anyone else, he should be accountable like anyone else. Go through normal motions so to speak. He may get special treatment in some ways (in his position who wouldn't?) but at least the injured will be covered in medical and what have you. Who know what the intentions the FF will do for this guy, most likely positive actions after the fact.

Last edited by Cire 5th; 07-01-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Cire 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #64
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cire 5th View Post
I just don't understand why he just didn't let someone else drive knowing he was drunk, like I mentioned before I'm pretty sure he was not the only firefighter working that night.
Sounds simple when you think that way.
Problem: Alcoholics don't think that way.

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #65
Cire 5th
Veteran

Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjeff View Post
Sounds simple when you think that way.
Problem: Alcoholics don't think that way.
Yes, easier said than done, i know. Hence, that's why I said I don't understand. It should be easier to persuade alcoholics that way. If not I'm not hanging out with u in the first place.

Have you Jeff, had an instance where you let someone drive for you because you were drunk?

Who has? I have.

Last edited by Cire 5th; 07-01-2013 at 08:35 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #66
explorin
Veteran

Motorcycles: uoy kcuf
Name: holeofass
Quote:
Gee, maybe he wasnt the only one drinking? These guys live together. There's no way your going to hide drinking on the job your entire career.
explorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #67
Cafe Racer
King of this hill

AMA #2881773
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: ...fall in love with me.
Name: Miguel
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
Sorry for your loss
Thank you and the same to you.

Certainly don't intend to hijack this thread. I hope that the rider heals well.

Miguel
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #68
Daks
Jersey Devil

Motorcycles: '06 Kawasaki Ninja 250EX aka Zero
Name: ...Daks
Damn, sorry I started a shitfight here. Dx I make no comment on funerals and whatnot about servicepeople. Has nothing to do with this point.

To me it's pretty much any profession that requires skill and you know, DRIVING A FUCKING FIRE ENGINE AROUND that holds you to a higher standard.
Doctors, Pilots, Policemen, etc. Part of what makes them heroes in the eyes of others is that they do things day by day most of us couldn't take or stomach because of the training and bravery. Things that you shouldn't do while drunk and things you're expected to own up to. You're entrusted with complicated equipment and people's lives every day and don't take it seriously?

They should be punished equally for their crimes is all I'm saying. If a drunk cop accidentally discharges his gun and shoots a 5 year old in the face, why is he less guilty than a guy who happens to legally own a gun who gets drunk and accidentally shoots a 5 year old in the face? The policeman probably even has more training.

He's a "good guy"? A "good cop"? Random guy is a good guy to someone. Didn't mean it any more than the cop.

But some departments get breaks and whatnot just for the title they hold. No one can deny that exists. My only wish was that if this firefighter is found guilty of these crimes, he's charged as a person, not a fire fighter.

Last edited by Daks; 07-01-2013 at 08:40 PM..
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #69
Cire 5th
Veteran

Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorin View Post
Gee, maybe he wasnt the only one drinking? These guys live together. There's no way your going to hide drinking on the job your entire career.
Like I said, find someone else to drive and i meant someone who is sohber of course. And I don't give a fuck if its Ali Baba in a Taxi Cab parked out front. There still is coherency in someone who is drunk because throughout his life he got his neck, shoulders and head together. Call it tolerance in alcohol if you will. But seriously this is a case of poor judgment. Should've found someone else to drive.

Last edited by Cire 5th; 07-01-2013 at 08:59 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #70
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
Whoa whoa.. PAGE FIVE!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #71
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cire 5th View Post
Have you Jeff, had an instance where you let someone drive for you because you were drunk
Certainly, but its not an apples to apples comparison. Lets face it....if he were to ask that question while at work, he's pretty much fired anyway...or at least in more of a fucked position than if he successfully bluffs his way through it....which he most likely has time and time again. People rarely get busted *The First Time* doing anything. Usually, the odds need some time to catch up.
If he is drinking on the job...that job... he is an alcoholic. Period.
Once that has been established, you can toss logic and reasoning out the window.
Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.

Last edited by gixxerjeff; 07-01-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #72
Cire 5th
Veteran

Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Certainly, but its not an apples to apples comparison. .

Why can't it be? It should be. We have the initial argument saying (the reason why I stepped in) saying that there should be no difference between him and an average joe.

So if he cant command or ask someone to drive for him without question, then the reason why he is asking is....damn I lost my train of thought. It's right there too. I'm done.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #73
shouldnthave
Taze away, Yana...

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ GOP + 1%

Motorcycles: Sure
Name: J
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
Whoa whoa.. PAGE FIVE!!!
It was not my intention to start a fight, and I couldn't imagine pursuing one. It was only a simlpe knee-jerk reaction. Sorry to take the thread off track. Where were we?
shouldnthave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #74
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

If I need to explain the ramifications of being caught drinking on the job to you, then I'm done too.
(There....that should aim this mess back toward the rails)

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #75
Cire 5th
Veteran

Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
If I need to explain the ramifications of being caught drinking on the job to you, then I'm done too.
(There....that should aim this mess back toward the rails)
That's not the issue Jeff. Drinking on the Job is not the issue. It's driving drunk. Number one rule, find a designated driver. The point I'm trying to make. You're ramifications has no relevance in this matter. He could have also been drinking on the job last Friday night playing Xbox. He needed to find someone in the firehouse a goddamn rookie for all I care to drive.

See that's the risk in riding at night for motorcyclist too. I have yet to ride out at night. I was thinking about that Oakland Night Ride too next week.

He will be accountable for DUI and then some. If I was a defense lawyer, a good defense lawyer should be able to leave out drinking on the job.

Last edited by Cire 5th; 07-01-2013 at 09:27 PM..