Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #46
Reli
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
<--- Not AGATT unless I'm riding the twisties or a trackday of course.

The better question is:
For those who claim they're AGATT, do you use your bike for quick runs to the store? Do you use it to commute to a white collar job where you need to wear something better than jeans and polo shirts? If the answer is no, then for you to brag about being AGATT isn't really impressive.

Last edited by Reli; 02-13-2015 at 04:05 PM..
Reli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #47
Unicorn Power
My cat uses toilets

AMA #: 1075923
Contributor

Motorcycles: require repairs
Name: Mr. Hough
Quote:
Originally Posted by revnort View Post
Riding in town as transportation: No riding pants, but everything else.
This is arguably the stupidest thing I've read by you, considering you visited NolaNomad in hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reli View Post
The better question is:
For those who claim they're AGATT, do you use your bike for quick runs to the store? Do you use it to commute to a white collar job where you need to wear something better than jeans and polo shirts? If the answer is no, then saying that you're AGATT isn't really impressive.
Yes to all the above. That's what the Roadcrafter and other easy-on-easy-offs were designed for.

Last edited by Unicorn Power; 02-13-2015 at 04:05 PM..
Unicorn Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #48
Brokenlink
Veteran

Contributor++++

Motorcycles: FZ-09 DRZ400SM
Name: Mike
Quote:
The better question is:
For those who claim they're AGATT, do you use your bike for quick runs to the store? Do you use it to commute to a white collar job where you need to wear something better than jeans and polo shirts? If the answer is no, then saying that you're AGATT isn't really impressive.
Yes
Brokenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #49
revnort
Tasty Pants

AMA#: 1108597
Contributor +++++++++

Motorcycles: F800GS, Dr. Zoidberg
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Power View Post
This is arguably the stupidest thing I've read from you, considering you visited NolaNomad in hospital.

Yes to all the above. That's what the Roadcrafter and other easy-on-easy-offs were designed for.
I have an Aerostitch now. Between You, Nanda, and Robert it was a major factor in the decision.

However I still on occasion will ride in just the jacket but only in town. It has only been once since I got the stitch. I needed to try on some new clothes. All the gear all the time means you never ride anywhere without full gear. I am just being honest. I could be wrong but I doubt you'd stitch up if we ever took another trip to baja and rode around the development.

Anyway, I will say that I have my doubts gear would have drastically changed things for Robert, but we will never know that. Regardless, I have already changed my behavior.

However the argument can be made we are all idiots for throwing our legs over a bike gear or not. Yes that includes those who have taken things off the streets.

Who do you see? Who do do you watch? Which is your flock? Do you watch at a distance from the side you have chosen? Whose answers serve you best? Who'll save you from confusion? Who will leave you an exit and a comfortable cover? Who will take you oh so near the edge, but never drop you over?

Last edited by revnort; 02-13-2015 at 04:13 PM..
revnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #50
louemc
Veteran

Motorcycles: 05 Kawi ZX10R
Name:
I ride ATGATT. Didn't start out that way, but, ways can change over a half a century.

I don't do short rides now, I dress for the day long ride.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #51
weak_link
Hugh Jasole

Mod Alumni
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Multistrada 1200S Touring
Name: Eric
Quote:

The better question is:
For those who claim they're AGATT, do you use your bike for quick runs to the store? Do you use it to commute to a white collar job where you need to wear something better than jeans and polo shirts? If the answer is no, then for you to brag about being AGATT isn't really impressive.
I work in a corporate cube farm and have to look the part. I wear my AeroStitch on my hour commute. I also wear it to go pick up beer. So yep, I'm just that lame.

Save the ta-ta's
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #52
Cyclesuzy
Proud Pissant Squid

Mod Alumni
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: '14 CB500F
Name: HT
Quote:

The better question is:
I'm not sure what you mean by bragging - the question was asked and I responded in the affirmative. To answer your further question I rarely commute to work but if/when I do I am allowed to wear jeans and any kind of shirt I want.

Honestly people do whatever the fuck you want ... why do you care what others do? Wear gear if you want - don't wear gear if you don't but why bag on those that do?

Official Button-popper of TPW

Be polite and civil, but wary ...
Miri/Lylith

“No artist is pleased.”
“But then there is no satisfaction?”
“No satisfaction whatever at any time ... There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.”
Cyclesuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #53
weak_link
Hugh Jasole

Mod Alumni
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Multistrada 1200S Touring
Name: Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesuzy View Post
Honestly people do whatever the fuck you want ... why do you care what others do? Wear gear if you want - don't wear gear if you don't but why bag on those that do?
This, all day long. I don't give two shits if you want to wear flip flops and a face eraser helmet, just stay the fuck outta my way.

Save the ta-ta's
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #54
Unicorn Power
My cat uses toilets

Contributor

Quote:
I could be wrong but I doubt you'd stitch up if we ever took another trip to baja and rode around the development.

Anyway, I will say that I have my doubts gear would have drastically changed things for Robert, but we will never know that. Regardless, I have already changed my behavior.

However the argument can be made we are all idiots for throwing our legs over a bike gear or not. Yes that includes those who have taken things off the streets.
Your final point aside, since this is a dichotomy of risk v. reward we all contend with.

I think you'd be wrong about me and Mexico, unless the heat was so intense, at which point I'd probably don forcefield compression suit, jersey, and airbag vest to keep cool.

I will say while he and I had similar, though obviously not the same, type of collision -- at least my bits stayed contained with my skin. Take that for what it is.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #55
revnort
Tasty Pants

Contributor +++++++++

Are people bagging on anyone who rides in their gear all the time with absolutely zero exceptions? I am not... I respect it. I am simply being honest and saying there are times when I don't. Just recently it has become a lot less, but I'd be lying if I said 100%.

If someone asks, I would certainly tell them ATGATT is the way to be, and I am a stupid fuck if I was currently not.

Who do you see? Who do do you watch? Which is your flock? Do you watch at a distance from the side you have chosen? Whose answers serve you best? Who'll save you from confusion? Who will leave you an exit and a comfortable cover? Who will take you oh so near the edge, but never drop you over?
Old 02-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #56
Entoptic
Red Power!

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
ATGATT if I am going to be going over 25mph. ATGATT is going to stop the damage from a car slamming into me but it will protect me from abrasion and that is what I am looking for.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #57
Reli
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
It's always seemed like there's a ton of BARF'ers who criticize non-AGATT'ers. That's why I figured I'd even the score.
Reli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #58
revnort
Tasty Pants

Contributor +++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Power View Post
Your final point aside, since this is a dichotomy of risk v. reward we all contend with.

I think you'd be wrong about me and Mexico, unless the heat was so intense, at which point I'd probably don forcefield compression suit, jersey, and airbag vest to keep cool.

I will say while he and I had similar, though obviously not the same, type of collision -- at least my bits stayed contained with my skin. Take that for what it is.
He had a direct hit on the knee. We can't know...

I get the point, but being admittedly dickish when do we start including a LEATT and an airbag vest in ATGATT? Hi Viz? Maybe a frame around the whole moto and two more wheels?

Last edited by revnort; 02-13-2015 at 04:36 PM..
Old 02-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #59
Unicorn Power
My cat uses toilets

Contributor

Not everyone experiences the same -- often painful -- lessons at the same point in their lives. People will do what they want to do, and the reality is nobody can save everybody from themselves.

Quote:
He had a direct hit on the knee. We can't know...

I get the point, but being admittedly dickish when do we start including a LEATT and an airbag vest in ATGATT?
Stop being redundant - the brace and vest serve the same purpose.

Last edited by Unicorn Power; 02-13-2015 at 04:33 PM..
Unicorn Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #60
mrmarklin
Veteran

Motorcycles: Harley Crossbones, XL1200V
Name: Dave
Cool

ATTGATT only on long road trips. Unless it's very hot, its helmet, armored jacket, boots and gloves. In the heat I'll wear a vest, or even a t-shirt. Actually for super hot rides, like last summer in the Mojave desert, I use a perforated leather jacket and a hydro vest.

Most trips are short, and I'm willing to compromise for convenience.

Back in the 70s I'd go on road trips with whatever shoes I happened to be wearing, a 3/4 helmet, work gloves and if it was warm, only a shirt. I had (still have) an old Hondaline jacket with a zip in liner for colder rides. No armor. What was that?
103 cu in. kit by BFD Racing,

2015 Harley XL1200V with Stage One kit

Last edited by mrmarklin; 02-13-2015 at 04:40 PM..
mrmarklin is offline   Reply With Quote