Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Classifieds > Moto Wanted

Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #16
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
If this is the case, I assume you are finishing top three in your class ( and it must have over 20 competitors) and running 1:55s at Thill. (You can run a 1:55 at Thill on an SV)

I can pretty much save you the money and guarantee you that the slow is coming from you.

You really like to toot your own horn.

congrats on picking up your pace and competing as you have done.

Get some coaching if you want to go faster, don't waste your money playing bike tag.
+10000 You would do better learning how to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #17
Racer V
Rookie

Motorcycles: Yamaha R1
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
+10000 You would do better learning how to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
I keep hearing this, but I have to admit I don't see the value in this. I say this because I believe that riding the faster bike would be a qualitatively different skillset. Lighter, more power, brakes that actually work, a chassis that actually transmits forces from front to rear tire at a reasonable speed, etc. etc.

What are your reasons for asserting this? Merely cost savings? I plan on getting a fast bike eventually, anyway. Why not save money by reducing the learning curve, getting the fast bike sooner, rather than spending money learning how to ride a bike that will never be competitive?
Racer V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #18
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer V View Post
I keep hearing this, but I have to admit I don't see the value in this. I say this because I believe that riding the faster bike would be a qualitatively different skillset. Lighter, more power, brakes that actually work, a chassis that actually transmits forces from front to rear tire at a reasonable speed, etc. etc.

What are your reasons for asserting this? Merely cost savings? I plan on getting a fast bike eventually, anyway. Why not save money by reducing the learning curve, getting the fast bike sooner, rather than spending money learning how to ride a bike that will never be competitive?
Go for it.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #19
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

Motorcycles: are fun
Name: Kegan
Quote:
Why not save money by reducing the learning curve, getting the fast bike sooner, rather than spending money learning how to ride a bike that will never be competitive?
Good question. Have you considered asking the generations of top-level GP racers who come up through the 125-250-500 ranks (now Moto3-Moto2-MotoGP ranks), rather than jumping on a MotoGP bike as soon as they know how to ride on two wheels?
Kegan -- '12 MTS1200ST -- '15 CB500F -- '09 WR250X-SM -- IBA #41999 -- AMA #3283468 -- AFM #895
My Ride Reports! -- BARF Terms of Service
sckego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #20
Racer V
Rookie

Motorcycles: Yamaha R1
Name:
Quote:
You really like to toot your own horn.
Sorry if it sounds that way. What I mean to say is this: most people are physically capable of learning the fine motor control required to be a world-class rider. With enough funding and time, and the right approach, they can fulfill that capability and put it to use at the top level of the sport.

In the Nature vs. Nurture debate, I'm of the mindset that genetics do determine ultimate potential, but our ultimate potential is much, much higher than most of us realize, and we unfortunately all-too-often take our potential for granted.

Quote:
Go for it.
Thanks, will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
Good question. Have you considered asking the generations of top-level GP racers who come up through the 125-250-500 ranks (now Moto3-Moto2-MotoGP ranks), rather than jumping on a MotoGP bike as soon as they know how to ride on two wheels?
That's a really solid idea, I'll start doing some outreach. Thanks!

Last edited by Racer V; 08-18-2015 at 04:40 PM..
Racer V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #21
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Sorry if it sounds that way. What I mean to say is this: most people are physically capable of learning the fine motor control required to be a world-class rider. With enough funding and time, and the right approach, they can fulfill that capability and put it to use at the top level of the sport.
I think mid level might be a better expression. I agree that it is possible for almost anyone to reach a fairly high level of competence. As to the higher levels, that requires much more than funding and approach, it requires desire and commitment, though those two may be approach. I think you may discover that mid level moto america is a level that is pretty hard to reach and then by very few people/ And then, as Josh Herrin said, when racing Moto2, "it was just like AMA except everyone was faster than me."

Last edited by afm199; 08-18-2015 at 08:59 PM..
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #22
ABC
Veteran

AMA #:2770635
Contributor +

Motorcycles: !
Name: D
This whole thread got me lol'n for days
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #23
bikewanker
Veteran

AMA #: 178394
Contributor +++++++++ 1%

Motorcycles: Real Strom, TR-650x.5, Rapid Taxi RR, ZX-6r, '81 1002
Name: chris
"In the Nature vs. Nurture debate, I'm of the mindset that genetics do determine ultimate potential, but our ultimate potential is much, much higher than most of us realize, and we unfortunately all-too-often take our potential for granted."
Sounds like you've isolated the proverbial "fast gene", did you do actual DNA testing or is this intrinsic?
I did a few laps but sufferd that self doubt that I wasn't good enough for the 500 world championships. Your on something here and piqued my interest.

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #24
209yamaha
yamaha FTW

Motorcycles: yzf-r6
Name:
*waits on another "250 vs big bikes pt2" video to be released with the OP in it.
209yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #25
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
I started on a KZ650 in the 750cc class; riding against GS750's, CB750's, etc. As it took me a few years to figure things out, I'm glad I started w/an underpowered bike for the class. I was back then 235lbs. in tip top shape, giving away the equivalent of 20+ HP to everyone. I was winning the corners only to get passed on the straight.

It kinda sucked in the beginning; but ya know what, after gaining experience & racer skills it was a great way to learn. Knowing I couldn't best anyone unless I went faster around the WHOLE track was the way to learn I thought ATT.

Now, 190hp while your still a new rider? <you are only 3 races in.> Judge yourself after a full season of 7-8+ racedays. Ride as many races each race meet as you can 2-3 at least. THEN when start noticing your getting beat on power on the straights, THEN get a faster bike/or build your engine/brakes/suspension etc.

Or, just buy an H2R, 330hp & built for the track. Enjoy:
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-Ninja-H2R

Last edited by EastBayDave; 08-23-2015 at 09:04 AM..
EastBayDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #26
Hybridchemistry
Not dead yet

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: '05 DRZ440SM; '96? KLX; '97 KLR; another KLX & another KLR
Name: Maxwell
What the fuck did I just read? Was this a troll thread?
Hybridchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #27
Tharkūn
Freeway Moderator

Mod Alumni

Motorcycles: Dirt
Name:
Jfc
Tharkūn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #28
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Andrew, the only bike that fits the bill that will be useful in MotoAmerica is the 2015 Yamaha R1. Mach 1 has two left. Anything else, you're wasting your time.

One thing to note: you're doing it backwards. You don't need more HP, you need better entries and exits. Get a current gen R6. Get down to 50's at Thill/ 41's at Sonoma; sadly I just sold my backup that's been there. That will put you around top 10-15 in Moto America races and top 3 or so in 600's. Our top 3 600 guys would consistently finish in the box in the liter bike classes. Once you can get a 600 into those times, then move to that 1K. IMO, of course.

Or go buy that 2015 R1. It'll do most of the work for you.
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:55 AM   #29
Hooli
Dammit Bobby

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Yep.
Name: El Jefe
Odds are the OP is going to ignore the useful knowledge posted here and do what he wants.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant AFM #677 Craig Hightower AFM#868 Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM #13 Miri/Lylith
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #30
KazMan
2012 Fifty is Nifty Tour!

AMA #2086825
Barf Racer / BARF Moderator
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: anything I can throw my leg over
Name: Eric
As I have said before, Andrew, I know you have visualized what you think is going to happen. Please remember that there are other members in the AFM who are fathers, brothers, sons, etc., who are dependent on their competitors in some manner, for their safety. Jumping on a 200 hp is not a lab experiment.

There are real conclusions for any mishaps. There is a reason why even at the most elite levels, MotoGP, WSBK, MotoAmerica, etc., there are tiers that competitors must go through to establish credentials for the safety of all.

I hope you truly understand this aspect as well. Travelling at 170mph is not the time to understand that your visual aspiration far exceeded your actual skill level. It would be a tragedy if you were hurt. Even more so if another was hurt as well.
KazMan is offline   Reply With Quote