Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #61
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Now a member of the Whammy fan club.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
Old 01-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #62
kelsodeez
2wheels good 4wheels bad

MotoGP CRC Contributor

Motorcycles: SV650
Name: Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by phocup View Post

And oh yeah, we should tax bicycles too but Brown isn't going to kick that hornet's nest.

i disagree with this because one of the main reasons they shouldnt be charging the same for registration on motorcycles is because they need to encourage varied modes of transportation to alleviate congestion and pollution. not to mention the minute amount of wear that two wheeled vehicles put on the roads.

i think the registration fees should be calculated by weight of the vehicle and/or engine displacement. not this "one size fits all" bullshit.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #63
KittenMeat
Life: It's Terminal!

AMA #3299627

Motorcycles: 84 Kawi GPZ550 Brat/Hipster bike Honda BRINGTHEMTHAFKN-Ruckus
Name: Dr. Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewwazoo View Post
I love taxes. They pay for civilization.

My only regret is that flat taxes are regressive, and hit poor people most. I'd much rather see this increase tied to vehicle value.
I have to agree here : We live in an incredible country, and some of us have to pay our fair share to keep it that way. By the time I'm done with training, I'll be basically giving away half of my income each year, and I'll remember that it was those same tax dollars that helped create the environment in which I could thrive and attain success.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #64
Killroy1999
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Zero SR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Electric bike owner

Old 01-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #65
thenewwazoo
esculenta delicta

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: RC79 / RC46 / RC31 / NC35
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Just in case someone wants to make a comment about me pointing out about people getting freebees.
My family came here many many generations ago, as did 99% of us on this board.
Nobody gave us any hand outs we've earned our way in life, and wouldn't want it any other way.
A professional military was already protecting you from invasion when you were born. You didn't have to invent your own currency in order to invent a stable free market to get your first job. Even if you went to private schools your entire life, the teachers that taught you probably went to public schools for free. Unless your family walked over the Bering land bridge, your entire existence, and that of your forebears', was subsidized by someone. Now is your turn to pay for someone else to have good roads. They may not thank you, but not every good deed requires thanks to be worth doing.

Redeem the following codes for a thrill!
Code:
[ 0 - 180 - 450 - 630] <- for fun
[ 0 -  90 - 360 - 450] <- for more fun
Old 01-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #66
mrmarklin
Veteran

Motorcycles: Harley Crossbones, XL1200V
Name: Dave
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
Why? I'm more than happy to contribute $65/vehicle if it's going to improve our our poorly-maintained roads...
As if...............
103 cu in. kit by BFD Racing,

2015 Harley XL1200V with Stage One kit
Old 01-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #67
packnrat
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2004 FZ1 1993 klr 650 1978 xl 350
Name:
Smile

brown out browney, has got to find a way to fund his toy train boon-dongle,
so to make him and his friends richer.

expect more tax hikes and added "fees".
Old 01-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #68
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 Multistrada ST
Name: Bill
Quote:
A professional military was already protecting you from invasion when you were born. You didn't have to invent your own currency in order to invent a stable free market to get your first job. Even if you went to private schools your entire life, the teachers that taught you probably went to public schools for free. Unless your family walked over the Bering land bridge, your entire existence, and that of your forebears', was subsidized by someone. Now is your turn to pay for someone else to have good roads. They may not thank you, but not every good deed requires thanks to be worth doing.
+1 I pay my fair share of taxes, and feel good about it, freedom is not free. I grew up poor, dad died when I was young. Used survivors social security to get an education and get a good job. Now because of because of the cut this cut that right wing, survivors benefits stop when you are 18. Just toss the kids on the street and see if they can make it. Does not say much about us as a society.

Every time someone blames money for schools or other programs they always have a story about there family has been here for generations. Than just tells me they never went to bed hungry and have no idea the good a social program do. As soon as they say the lottery was going to fix schools you know where the post is going. Everyone know the school part of the lottery was never going to fix anything it was just to get it passed.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:14 PM   #69
HeatXfer
Not Erudite, just er

AMA #3295418

Motorcycles: '87 Paso 750. '07 KTM 990
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsodeez View Post
i disagree with this because one of the main reasons they shouldnt be charging the same for registration on motorcycles is because they need to encourage varied modes of transportation to alleviate congestion and pollution. not to mention the minute amount of wear that two wheeled vehicles put on the roads.

i think the registration fees should be calculated by weight of the vehicle and/or engine displacement. not this "one size fits all" bullshit.
+1

Quote:
+1

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
- Isaac Asimov
Old 01-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #70
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Good government takes a lot of time and money from us.

Us, meaning the motorcycling population. If you want to be heard, and possibly prevent being screwed, you, and all our brethren, have to step up to a higher level of activism.

It is difficult, but at a minimum you need to...
Join the AMA and BRC, and CORVA if you care about OHV access.
Meet your representatives, state senator and assemblymember; an email followed with a phone call to their chief of staff is pretty effective.

Edit: here is another group http://www.rebuildca.org/rebuild-cal...tion-advocacy/

The motorcyle community is pretty silent to our lawmakers. It would be good if we could change that. Edit, example: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=490336

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!

Last edited by Butch; 01-24-2016 at 02:15 AM..
Old 01-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #71
kelsodeez
2wheels good 4wheels bad

MotoGP CRC Contributor

Sometimes I feel like all of my hobbies are under attack by the government. Sick of it
Old 01-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #72
phocup
Veteran

Contributor + + 6.5%

Motorcycles: 09 SVS
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
[...]
Child health care for those who are not here legally.
Dreamers college fund, again free college for those who aren't here legally.
[..]
Just in case someone wants to make a comment about me pointing out about people getting freebees.
My family came here many many generations ago, as did 99% of us on this board.
Nobody gave us any hand outs we've earned our way in life, and wouldn't want it any other way.

Quote:
I might be wrong so I'll leave it to Whammy to clarify if he wants to. My interpretation is his "people getting freebees" are directed at people who are not here legally, not legal US citizen who are entitled to those public services you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsodeez View Post

If its about congestion / pollution, then wouldn't priuz, tezla, and those new bimmer be exempt also ?

I actually have no problem with calculating based on power output, weight of vehicle, and engine displacement. I would benefit from that actually. However, from what I see in my daily life, poorer folks are more often the one with the 10-30 year old muscle car or work truck that weighs a ton while richer folks are now veering toward those 3 vehicles I mentioned above or some other new EV out of most people's financial reach. If we do it the way you suggested, I fear someone is going to start yelling class warfare soon.

Last edited by phocup; 01-23-2016 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #73
Snapping Twig
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2012 BMW R1200R
Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
Why? I'm more than happy to contribute $65/vehicle if it's going to improve our our poorly-maintained roads...
You're already paying for road maintenance through current registration and gas taxes.

Problem is, the money goes into the "general fund" and is sucked out for vote buying - welfare - among other things - train to nowhere, etc. Anything but the intended purpose.

I'd say crooked politician, but then I'd be repeating myself.

This is the problem with a corrupt one party State.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:32 PM   #74
PhoS
[ˈfäs]

Contributor

Motorcycles: are tasty.
Name:
I'll gladly pay $65 to be in the cool kid club.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #75
kelsodeez
2wheels good 4wheels bad

MotoGP CRC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phocup View Post
I might be wrong so I'll leave it to Whammy to clarify if he wants to. My interpretation is his "people getting freebees" are directed at people who are not here legally, not legal US citizen who are entitled to those public services you mentioned.

If its about congestion / pollution, then wouldn't priuz, tezla, and those new bimmer be exempt also ?

I actually have no problem with calculating based on power output, weight of vehicle, and engine displacement. I would benefit from that actually. However, from what I see in my daily life, poorer folks are more often the one with the 10-30 year old muscle car or work truck that weighs a ton while richer folks are now veering toward those 3 vehicles I mentioned above or some other new EV out of most people's financial reach. If we do it the way you suggested, I fear someone is going to start yelling class warfare soon.
As long as the soccer mom's that can't drive for shit give up their ford excursions which they use to drive around their 2.5 children
Closed Thread