Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
Beauregard
Aut Agere Aut Mori
 
Beauregard's Avatar
 
Contributor +++ 1%
1%

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Thereís a corner of my heart that is yours. And I donít mean for now, or until Iíve found somebody else, I mean forever. I mean that whether I fall in love a thousand times over or once or never again, thereíll always be a part that belongs to you.
Motorcycles: elude me.
Name: Guess....
Thoughts on a 2009 Husky TE510...

Iím thinking of picki g up a te510 but would like to know what your opinion is regarding the reliability and maintenance needs of 2009 Husky and what mods I should think about. I also know Iíll probably want to uncork it but exactly what does that entail?

Thanks.
__________________
I am the milkman of human kindness.
The Sock Drawer
Lagunitas Beer
SOPHOS Store
Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception
 
OaklandF4i's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco and Lake County
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Unless its UBER cheap, I couldnt recommend the TE450 or 510. I owned a 2006 TE450 and did a number of Baja trips on it. Norcal Slowpoke also owned one, 2006 or 2007 TE510 and I am sure he will echo my thoughts on the bike. He too did a number of Baja trips on his. We both really wanted to love the bike and spent a ton of money on them trying to make them acceptable. The only difference in the 2009 you are looking at is the fuel injection.

The motors are strong and reliable. It rev's quicker (or at least feels as it does) quicker than KTM's RFS motors of the same era. Also one of the nicest motors I've ever worked on. Their system allows you to change valve bucket shims without removing the cam. The only thing letting it down in the motor department is the close ratio transmission compared to the KTM EXC's and they are EXTREMELY vibey. Hot set up is to either get the crank balanced or add the SMR's crank balancer that didnt come on the TE's or other dirt bikes. My YZ 2stroke feels smoother through the bars and pegs, thats not an exaggeration.

The bad.

Those forks suck, and I do mean suck. No matter how much money you throw at them, they still suck. There is a guy up in PNW that is the specialist for Marzocchi's, but even after he makes them better they are NOT on par with any other fork stock. I dont want to speak on behalf of NorCal Slowpoke, but he had his forks done twice, and they still werent good.

The bike sits tall and carries its significant weight high. Its a porker but actually feels even heavier than it is on anything tight. A lot like an old school thumper. It wont hold its own against any of the other offroad bikes of the same era or newer without the rider having to put in significantly more energy. A dirtbike magazine was quoted in its review calling it a watercooled XR400r.... and as owner of a number of XR's, I'd agree.

I REALLY wanted to like this bike and spent a couple years trying to love it like a bad relationship with the hot girl.... it just isnt as good as it looks. Of the Italian Husky's, their last 2010 + 250/310 with the brand new motor design is the only one I'd actually recommend..... but even then the KTM of that era or any the of newer KTM/Husky's are SO much better even with a big price differential used.

If you want more info, pm me and I'll give you my cell number to chat. Myself a few other folks invested a lot of time and money into that gen Husky and would hope others dont waste their money.
__________________
I'm looking for 1970 or older project like a CB350 or Triumph 650. Cheap and complete. PM me if you have something - will provide it a good home.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 02-09-2019 at 08:20 PM..
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:28 AM   #3
Beauregard
Aut Agere Aut Mori
 
Beauregard's Avatar
 
Contributor +++ 1%
1%

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Thereís a corner of my heart that is yours. And I donít mean for now, or until Iíve found somebody else, I mean forever. I mean that whether I fall in love a thousand times over or once or never again, thereíll always be a part that belongs to you.
Motorcycles: elude me.
Name: Guess....
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
Unless its UBER cheap, I couldnt recommend the TE450 or 510. I owned a 2006 TE450 and did a number of Baja trips on it. Norcal Slowpoke also owned one, 2006 or 2007 TE510 and I am sure he will echo my thoughts on the bike. He too did a number of Baja trips on his. We both really wanted to love the bike and spent a ton of money on them trying to make them acceptable. The only difference in the 2009 you are looking at is the fuel injection.

The motors are strong and reliable. It rev's quicker (or at least feels as it does) quicker than KTM's RFS motors of the same era. Also one of the nicest motors I've ever worked on. Their system allows you to change valve bucket shims without removing the cam. The only thing letting it down in the motor department is the close ratio transmission compared to the KTM EXC's and they are EXTREMELY vibey. Hot set up is to either get the crank balanced or add the SMR's crank balancer that didnt come on the TE's or other dirt bikes. My YZ 2stroke feels smoother through the bars and pegs, thats not an exaggeration.

The bad.

Those forks suck, and I do mean suck. No matter how much money you throw at them, they still suck. There is a guy up in PNW that is the specialist for Marzocchi's, but even after he makes them better they are NOT on par with any other fork stock. I dont want to speak on behalf of NorCal Slowpoke, but he had his forks done twice, and they still werent good.

The bike sits tall and carries its significant weight high. Its a porker but actually feels even heavier than it is on anything tight. A lot like an old school thumper. It wont hold its own against any of the other offroad bikes of the same era or newer without the rider having to put in significantly more energy. A dirtbike magazine was quoted in its review calling it a watercooled XR400r.... and as owner of a number of XR's, I'd agree.

I REALLY wanted to like this bike and spent a couple years trying to love it like a bad relationship with the hot girl.... it just isnt as good as it looks. Of the Italian Husky's, their last 2010 + 250/310 with the brand new motor design is the only one I'd actually recommend..... but even then the KTM of that era or any the of newer KTM/Husky's are SO much better even with a big price differential used.

If you want more info, pm me and I'll give you my cell number to chat. Myself a few other folks invested a lot of time and money into that gen Husky and would hope others dont waste their money.
Solid gold. I fully appreciate your taking the time and saving me the Bastos of finding out the hard way.

- Beau
__________________
I am the milkman of human kindness.
The Sock Drawer
Lagunitas Beer
SOPHOS Store
Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die
 
augustiron's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Truckee & SF
Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
Great info from Of4i.
I had a general sense of "nope" from all my prior reading and research of bikes through the years, but didn't have any details to back it up for you off the top of my head.

Get a 2012+ FI KTM or husky 350 for tight stuff, 450 for all around or 500 if you are beastmode.
You should be able to find them as low as $6k for older ones, up to $10k for almost new.
Low miles/hours, good records and a knowledgeable owner are always the best to find.
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die
 
augustiron's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Truckee & SF
Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
A well setup plated 350 exc close to you for under $7k. At least worth a test ride to see if the 350 moves enough for you.

https://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/d/los...809864480.html

There are a couple of 500s on SLO CL also.
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
Junkie
re-tarded
 
Junkie's Avatar
 
Contributor + 3%

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alameda
Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
if you're talking 7k you can probably find a CA plated 12+ WR450. I'll admit that I'm biased though.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die
 
augustiron's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Truckee & SF
Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
if you're talking 7k you can probably find a CA plated 12+ WR450. I'll admit that I'm biased though.
I'd like the WR a lot more of it had another gear.
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
Junkie
re-tarded
 
Junkie's Avatar
 
Contributor + 3%

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alameda
Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
I agree, I'd love a 6th gear on mine.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Ducati_Scott
Always riding
 
Ducati_Scott's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Sunnyvale
Motorcycles: 16 Ducati Multistrada 06 CBR 1000RR Race Bike 12 KTM 450EXC 05 KTM 450 EXC 00 Harley Dav
Name: Scott
I have to agree with all the above, have ridden the Husky but based on personal experience and that of friends I would make a different choice. While I may be biased having ridden and raced KTM's exclusively in the dirt and desert for about 15 years; my plated 450EXC is one of the best all around bikes I have owned.
Ducati_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
1962siia
Veteran
 
1962siia's Avatar
 
AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + 3%

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rohnert Park
Motorcycles: xr100 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati_Scott View Post
I have to agree with all the above, have ridden the Husky but based on personal experience and that of friends I would make a different choice. While I may be biased having ridden and raced KTM's exclusively in the dirt and desert for about 15 years; my plated 450EXC is one of the best all around bikes I have owned.
Is that the '12 or '05? I have an '05 450 exc thats plated and love it, but thinking of getting something more modern some time.
__________________
1962siia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #11
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception
 
OaklandF4i's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco and Lake County
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Beau

I dont know what your budget is right now or your primary intended purpose for the bike is, but I will share this opinion with you. Its really tough to not choose or justify one of the latest gen KTM/Husky 350/500/501's.

Its been decades since bikes have made such a big step forward in such a short time. The real not hyped weight, the motor, the chassis, and handling. For a DIRT bike with a plate from the factory, there is no other choice. They really are that good and worth expanding the budget out to $7-8k or even more for new if you can swing it and it will be your primary bike. The current gen is worth it and I am not one of the so called KTM fanboys.

A 350 if you are using it as a single track NorCal dirtbike, a 500/501 for desert or more dual sport.

One of the KTM guys will have to chime in with differences by year, but I am referring to the most current gen bikes. I'll have one in time when the prices come down into my significantly lower budget. A plated fourstroke would only get used a couple times a year by me, so I cant justify one yet for my budget.

You probably already know this, but dont pay a premium for a 350 with 300 hrs and 7k miles... as it will be ready for top end.

ANyways, just my opinion. Others may vary.
__________________
I'm looking for 1970 or older project like a CB350 or Triumph 650. Cheap and complete. PM me if you have something - will provide it a good home.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #12
Beauregard
Aut Agere Aut Mori
 
Beauregard's Avatar
 
Contributor +++ 1%
1%

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Thereís a corner of my heart that is yours. And I donít mean for now, or until Iíve found somebody else, I mean forever. I mean that whether I fall in love a thousand times over or once or never again, thereíll always be a part that belongs to you.
Motorcycles: elude me.
Name: Guess....
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
Beau

I dont know what your budget is right now or your primary intended purpose for the bike is, but I will share this opinion with you. Its really tough to not choose or justify one of the latest gen KTM/Husky 350/500/501's.


ANyways, just my opinion. Others may vary.
Your opinion is based on experience and is of great value to me, with that said I'm seriously considering a '17 fe501 that's $8k.... just wondering if I'll get eight large worth of fun out of it.
__________________
I am the milkman of human kindness.
The Sock Drawer
Lagunitas Beer
SOPHOS Store
Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #13
Beauregard
Aut Agere Aut Mori
 
Beauregard's Avatar
 
Contributor +++ 1%
1%

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Thereís a corner of my heart that is yours. And I donít mean for now, or until Iíve found somebody else, I mean forever. I mean that whether I fall in love a thousand times over or once or never again, thereíll always be a part that belongs to you.
Motorcycles: elude me.
Name: Guess....
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustiron View Post
Great info from Of4i.
I had a general sense of "nope" from all my prior reading and research of bikes through the years, but didn't have any details to back it up for you off the top of my head.

Get a 2012+ FI KTM or husky 350 for tight stuff, 450 for all around or 500 if you are beastmode.
You should be able to find them as low as $6k for older ones, up to $10k for almost new.
Low miles/hours, good records and a knowledgeable owner are always the best to find.
I think Iíve settled on a Ď17 Husky fe501. As usual thanks so much for the help brah.
__________________
I am the milkman of human kindness.
The Sock Drawer
Lagunitas Beer
SOPHOS Store
Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #14
thedub
Octane Socks
 
thedub's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2952025

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800, KTM 500
Name: Wiles
Just get the newest one you can afford. There isn't a 'good year', they just keep getting better with each update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
One of the KTM guys will have to chime in with differences by year, but I am referring to the most current gen bikes.
__________________
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
Ducati_Scott
Always riding
 
Ducati_Scott's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Sunnyvale
Motorcycles: 16 Ducati Multistrada 06 CBR 1000RR Race Bike 12 KTM 450EXC 05 KTM 450 EXC 00 Harley Dav
Name: Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia View Post
Is that the '12 or '05? I have an '05 450 exc thats plated and love it, but thinking of getting something more modern some time.
Both bikes are plated and I love both.
The 05 is set up as a desert racer the 12 is set up more dual sport friendly.

Forest, fire roads and hwy combo rides were the main use.
__________________
She said if I went racing one more time she was leaving...

I'm gonna miss her!

CVMA #444
Ducati_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.