Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 05-05-2017, 05:10 AM   #46
ontherearwheel
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Tracer 900 GT, FZR 400 track bike, 04 R1 track bike
Name:
Well, this surely sucks.

The old shop in San Jose was not too far from where I worked. It was always cool to go there just to hang out. There was always some video on, magazines to read, nice seating area....just a really cool place.

For sure gonna get another pair or two of gloves. I've had one of his suits for over 15 years.....always felt great to slip them on.....even after a lot of years just hang in the closet.

They can not leave without a proper send off........my idea.......pick aday and show up in your Helimot gear. For me that would be suit, gloves and boots. Those Daytona boots are great.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:41 AM   #47
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
For anyone who doesn't know, he's been around (and in the Bay Area) for over 30 years, making the best leathers money can buy.

For people saying they can't afford his stuff, ask if they have any seconds. Shit happens sometimes, and it'll often result in gear that's 98% of the quality for quite a bit cheaper. I picked up a set of Hi 5 gloves from him last weekend, they used an alternate material somewhere that he decided wasn't quite as good, and he sold them to me for significantly less (and this was after I said that I'd buy a normal set if they didn't have any seconds that'd work well for me).

I also wish I'd gotten a suit.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #48
89fj
late braking

Contributor +

Motorcycles: yamaha FJ-09 S1000RR
Name: John
I really liked the way the old store in san jose he had a whole bunch of race event posters all over the walls. Laguna, Sears, etc.
I might have to buy another pair of Daytona boots there before they leave. I've had my current ones for 11 years and they still do the business!
89fj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #49
Outta Control
Renegade Drone Pilot

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 S1000RR Motorrad aka TaZ
Name: OuttaCtrl
We will surely miss Helimot but I applaud him for leaving this state with its ridiculous laws and propositions.

Hopefully he will move to M'urica and have a better life to prosper Helimot else where.

The best way to support them is to continue to purchase and promote their products.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

"Non-stop pursuing of wealth will only turn a person into a twisted being, just like me."..."Material things lost can be found. But there is one thing that can never be found when it is lost – “Life”." Steve Jobs

motorcycling is for everybody, but not everybody is for motorcycling

Last edited by Outta Control; 05-05-2017 at 07:09 AM..
Outta Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:18 AM   #50
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
Any idea where he is heading?

Anyone chatted with him directly? Closing down business possibly? Or just relocation?
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #51
easter bunny
Amateur Hour

Motorcycles: Pink Huffy, yo.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
Lots of small companies are moving to more business friendly states like Nevada.

The company my wife was working for just packed up and moved over to Nevada due to all the costs associated with operating in CA
I've been to a few chamber mixers where this is the exact plan. Attract CA businesses (specifically high tech like Tesla) to a more business and family friendly climate. I have mixed feelings about that. Reno is downright tiny compared to where I used to live, but I don't want it to become the East-East Bay either.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #52
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Any idea where he is heading?

Anyone chatted with him directly? Closing down business possibly? Or just relocation?
He posted something about it on FB last week, I stopped by Saturday to make sure I got another pair of gloves (as I imagine there will be a run on them) and have a modification made to an existing pair.

He didn't know where he was going at the time, I don't know if they've decided on that in the past week though.

I think I saw something implying there's info on it in CityBike but I didn't personally look.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #53
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
Citybike mentions it in their latest issue. Can anyone scoop up a copy locally and take a look?

Yikes. Thinking about ordering some gloves tonight ;O
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:30 AM   #54
aminalmutha
Amberlamps. Callz 'em.

Motorcycles: WAT
Name: Balzac
Too bad, I hope he does well elsewhere. Soon, the only businesses in CA will be Apple, Google and pr0n.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #55
aminalmutha
Amberlamps. Callz 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easter bunny View Post
I've been to a few chamber mixers where this is the exact plan. Attract CA businesses (specifically high tech like Tesla) to a more business and family friendly climate. I have mixed feelings about that. Reno is downright tiny compared to where I used to live, but I don't want it to become the East-East Bay either.
It's already happening. Check out housing prices in Truckee.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #56
TTTom
Veteran

'15 MGP Fantasy Champ   '16 MGP Fantasy Champ   '17 MGP Fantasy 1st Loser

Motorcycles: Ducati Multistrada
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by easter bunny View Post
I've been to a few chamber mixers where this is the exact plan. Attract CA businesses (specifically high tech like Tesla) to a more business and family friendly climate....
Nevada high tech is a joke. It's great if you want a low cost place to build a factory that is totally automated except for a few maintenance/support jobs. Not so great if you need scientists and engineers to develop the products that are going to be built in that factory.

I know which community I'd rather live in.
TTTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #57
Lardyboy12
Yee Dawg

Motorcycles: The red one
Name:
Oh no, I just bought a pair of boots from him 3 days ago and he didn't say a thing! I'll have to stop by again to see what else I need.
Lardyboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #58
aminalmutha
Amberlamps. Callz 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTom View Post
Nevada high tech is a joke. It's great if you want a low cost place to build a factory that is totally automated except for a few maintenance/support jobs. Not so great if you need scientists and engineers to develop the products that are going to be built in that factory.

No worries, in 20 years, Reno will be East East East Bay and the Bay Area will be Hong Kong II. A 3/2 house in the Ghey Area will cost $10M and will be occupied by the children of Chinese billionaires.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #59
turboLT
Veteran

Motorcycles: '09 Triumph Sprint
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aminalmutha View Post
No worries, in 20 years, Reno will be East East East Bay and the Bay Area will be Hong Kong II. A 3/2 house in the Ghey Area will cost $10M and will be occupied by the children of Chinese billionaires.
I am preparing for our new Chinese real estate overlords with lots of math classes. Have fun in the mines guys...
turboLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #60
easter bunny
Amateur Hour

Motorcycles: Pink Huffy, yo.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTom View Post
Nevada high tech is a joke. Not so great if you need scientists and engineers to develop the products that are going to be built in that factory.

The sales pitch is to move those people here. Not just open up a business and hope there's a supporting workforce. Would you rather be a software engineer making six figures in the BA and barely able to afford rent and fighting soul crushing traffic everyday? Or move here, be able to afford a nice home in a family neighborhood, and go skiing in Tahoe on the weekend? That's how I got here - fully paid relo.

So far Tesla/Panasonic have moved in, the new Switch data center is opening, and I've heard Toyota is planning something out there. Microsoft, Intuit, and IGT are all downtown-ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminalmutha View Post
Agreed.

Last edited by easter bunny; 05-05-2017 at 09:29 AM..
easter bunny is offline   Reply With Quote