Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #16
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbo Sur View Post
The GS Dick Heads are famous for this. When you ride a $25K bike, I guess you have something to prove!

I've been blinded several times by BMW GS guys running TOO BRIGHT LED Aux lights. One guy (on coming) running BIG yellow lights had me target fixating on him ... his lights dazzled me, started heading right at him ... then came out of it ... and flipped the guy off as he passed by.

When I see guys running too bright lights ... I TELL THEM.

The Real issue here IMO, is how much these guys with super bright lights PISS OFF car drivers. And what does that lead to?

More riders getting knocked off by enraged cage drivers. (thanks guys!)
But can you blame the car drivers?

I would urge riders to ease up on the bright LED lights ... and really look after the aiming of those lights. If you're riding across the Baja Desert ... at night ... like I've done, that's fine, but in day to day City riding, it's just an Ego trip and really endangers other riders ... and promotes even more cases of ROAD RAGE .... where bikers always lose.
I like the Clearwater lights. Crazy bright but you can dim them for street use. Of course, one must remember to dim them.

And running modulated at night is a dick move.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
I believe it is also not allowed per the CVC. I remember threads on this in the past.
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #18
MLCOakland
Rookie

2% Contributor

Motorcycles: '83 R65LS
Name: Greg
I saw a different BMW GS rider yesterday about 5:45 pm on EB24 in Oakland who honked, and then gesticulated wildly and flipped off a truck that wouldn't move over in lane 1 for the rider to split past. I was several lanes over, so I couldn't see exactly what was going on, but it didn't seem like the truck was doing anything other than staying in its lane. Either way, it would have been better to wait until safe to split past rather than make all that commotion. There were 2 riders behind that BMW who seemed to split past without incident.

Greg
MLCOakland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #19
Hooli
Dammit Bobby

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Yep.
Name: El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krooklyn View Post
I was fucking pissed that some asshole would roll up all Close Encounter like and light up the whole of 280-S with his fucking light show.

OP be like:

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant AFM #677 Craig Hightower AFM#868 Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM #13 Miri/Lylith
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
Krooklyn
Usual Suspect

Motorcycles: NC35 Tuono V4
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post

OP be like:

That's not too far off reality unfortunately.
Krooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #21
Gary856
Are we having fun yet?

Motorcycles: WR250F, 690SM, SD990, R1200GS, MTS1200, 950SM
Name: Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post

OP be like:

I've seen something just like that.

One night I was riding on Uvas Rd back toward San Jose and saw this towering, 3-dimensional bubble of light way up ahead beyond the curve and above the treetops, moving towards me. It looked like a helicopter shining its searchlight down onto a tall, moving x-mas tree. It was so unusual it appeared supernatural and kind of spooky. Turned out of be a bike (not sure if it was a Harley or a BMW - I was in awe and momentarily blinded) with who knows how many lumens blazing.

Last edited by Gary856; 12-06-2017 at 12:09 PM..
Gary856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #22
Gary856
Are we having fun yet?

Motorcycles: WR250F, 690SM, SD990, R1200GS, MTS1200, 950SM
Name: Gary
My fantasy on night riding is one day we’ll have personal drones flying overhead shining floodlights down to light up the roads and the surroundings ahead.
Gary856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #23
KazMan
2012 Fifty is Nifty Tour!

AMA #2086825
Barf Racer / BARF Moderator
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: anything I can throw my leg over
Name: Eric
It truly is annoying, but if you got to the point where you were annoyed, you were lucky not to hit or be hit.

Bright lights seem to make a person think they are safe, but in fact, they have blinded everyone for 1 or 2 seconds because they either have to squint, look away, or modify their driving.

For this reason, I can't stand when riders with 10 billion lumens are behind me, because I know everyone in front of us is really seeing nothing.

and if I could, no smile in that emoji
KazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #24
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
I ran aux lights on my F8GS for a while. But I ran them down near the front axle and had them pointed low and wide. They worked great for visibility in corners at night.
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #25
jwb
Veteran

Motorcycles: '17 Honda CRF250RL
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
I like the Clearwater lights. Crazy bright but you can dim them for street use. Of course, one must remember to dim them.

Dimming them does not help. Clearwater lights have circular flashlight beams and will blind those in front even on dim. There is NO optical cutoff in a Clearwater light, as there is in a DOT headlight. They are only appropriate for off-road use, and even then they are basically useless because of their conical beams.

In any sensible country that company would be put out of business. If you rode with those lights in German you'd be pulled over by the cops in the first hour. And they wouldn't give you some wimpy ticket, they'd seize your bike. In Germany even _bicyclists_ are required to have shaped-beam headlights.

In short, Clearwater = retarded. It is the optical equivalent of open pipes.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #26
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
It might not be the best approach but when I'm riding or driving and some dick behind is blinding me with his headlights either because they are on high beam or using off road lights, I try to aim my mirrors so as to reflect the light back at them. This also gets the light out of my eyes.
Maybe I'm misaiming because it often seems to have no effect on them.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #27
Marcoose
50-50

AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
BMW motorbike owners, BMW car owners, all the same, all assholes, teh barfs delivers.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #28
Marcoose
50-50

AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
On a related 'too bright' note, last Friday I followed a bicyclist by car for about 3 blocks. It was before sunup, and he had both front and rear flashing LEDs. The rear was red, not the dull/opaque kind, but super bright. We ended up at the same coffee shop, so I approached him and said that while I could see him, it was hard to gauge the distance because the light was blinding me, and that may yield unwanted results. He genuinely thanked me and said he was going to look at something else then. Jolly bloke.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #29
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Dimming them does not help. Clearwater lights have circular flashlight beams and will blind those in front even on dim. There is NO optical cutoff in a Clearwater light, as there is in a DOT headlight. They are only appropriate for off-road use, and even then they are basically useless because of their conical beams.

In any sensible country that company would be put out of business. If you rode with those lights in German you'd be pulled over by the cops in the first hour. And they wouldn't give you some wimpy ticket, they'd seize your bike. In Germany even _bicyclists_ are required to have shaped-beam headlights.

In short, Clearwater = retarded. It is the optical equivalent of open pipes.
Agreed. There is a member here who runs dimmed clearwaters on his bike. I've been opposite him on a couple occasions and discovered that I cannot, in any way, tell if said person's turn signal is on. Both times it was, and I was only able to tell after seeing the back of the bike.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #30
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
I'm gonna call the whambulance for you guys. I hope it's lights aren't too bright.
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote