Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #61
Marcoose
50-50

AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
What method of defending herself would you suggest she use, if she's attacked and losing a fight to the point that she's afraid for her life, and doesn't have other weapons? Not many civilians who carry also have less lethal alternatives.
More armchair quarterback talk ... perhaps her best defence would've been to run away, never engage a stranger. In a way she was lucky he stepped out of his SUV. He could've killed with his right foot. That's the lesson I'm learning. Not this picking on details of laws and legality and scenarios and assumptions. If my vehicle is operational, clear the area. If it isn't, literally walk away. Let the hot-headed person blow off steam on something else.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #62
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
More armchair quarterback talk ... perhaps her best defence would've been to run away, never engage a stranger. In a way she was lucky he stepped out of his SUV. He could've killed with his right foot. That's the lesson I'm learning. Not this picking on details of laws and legality and scenarios and assumptions. If my vehicle is operational, clear the area. If it isn't, literally walk away. Let the hot-headed person blow off steam on something else.
so she should always hit and run rather than risk a stranger attacking her (if this started because of a traffic incident)?

She may not have realized how crazy he was until he was on top of her.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #63
Marcoose
50-50

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
so she should always hit and run rather than risk a stranger attacking her (if this started because of a traffic incident)?

She may not have realized how crazy he was until he was on top of her.
Do as you think it’s the best for you. For me, both killer or killed are very bad options. I can always explain why I ‘fled’ ... straight to the nearest police station.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #64
OldMadBrit
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2017 R1M
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@barf View Post
To all the riders that are judging this rider by their personal standards of action.

One point. I'm 5'4" and if someone is approaching me I will set the side-stand and get off the bike. I'm not 6'+ or 200lbs+ and I don't have a 32"+ inseam. At my size, if someone pushes me, there's a good chance I'll end up on the ground, under the bike, possibly trapped there. From what I've read this rider is even smaller than me.

It's probably not useful or even reasonable to decide that she should have reacted like you or done what you would do.
This!!! If you can't just ride away, that last place you want to be in any confrontation is sat astride a bike. Again, if you can't just ride away.

Words of wisdom just before my first trip in a 4 man bobsled

"Ding dong the witch is dead"
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #65
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
Quote:
Her name will forever live in databases. Many employers won’t care about the small details. She killed somebody. Next candidate. End of story.
Wrong. Unless she’s charged/convicted of a felony it won’t come up on any HR department’s radar short of working for LE/FBI. Unless you’re considering Google and Facebook as databases...... She’ll be fine employment-wise.
Slow Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #66
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 18 450 SXF
Name:
No idea why everyone is calling the old guy crazy. She might be insane gun nut who threatened him. Poor guy could of been fighting to save his own life and she takes him out. Does she even have a permit to carry........
KooLaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #67
CrumpetRocket
Veteran

Motorcycles: 07 Daytona
Name: Jared
What a shit show. Still no word on what the original issue was? I might be misreading, but it sounds like she stopped because traffic did, this guy pulled up next to her, played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. I recognize that I'm not working with all of the info here, but so far i haven't seem anything that says she initiated the altercation. Sounds like he did.

I'm young enough that 60 sounds really old... but my old man is 60 and he for sure could beat you to death. At some point it's not "just" a fair fist fight, and I really don't have much room in my heart for anyone crying foul for shooting / stabbing someone if they're literally on top of you. I typically carry a knife and while I'd never nonchalantly one up a guy in a fist fight, if I'm beat and now you're just killing me cuz you've got no self control, sure I'll use every tool at my disposal to try to stay alive. I really hope more info comes to light, but working with what I've got, that's what this instance looks like to me.

People on barf are always saying that you shouldn't engage because you never know who is crazy or armed. This guy had 60 years to learn that and only found out on his last day.
CrumpetRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #68
sasquatch
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: one or another
Name:
Quote:
She’ll forever be the one that killed another over an unimportant traffic mishap. It’ll be with her for life. Hundreds of jobs and housings she won’t be illegible for.
At this point she has not been arrested, may never be arrested.
How will it stick? Maybe in the Tacoma WA area, but if she leaves the area she is able to fall off the radar.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #69
cfives
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: EX400
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Facts are still sparse,

Traffic came to a stop and the motorcycle stopped with the traffic in the HOV lane while the GMC truck stopped on the left shoulder of the highway parallel to the bike.

The driver of the GMC exited his vehicle and the rider on the motorcycle got of her bike and the two of them “started a physical altercation,” according to the patrol report and at one point “they were fighting on the ground,” said a patrol spokesperson to reporters at the scene.

No idea of what actually happened, but if an irate driver pulled up onto the left hand shoulder of a stopped HOV lane, and exited his vechicle to confront me, lane splitting stopped traffic would be my first, second, and third options.
cfives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #70
Marcoose
50-50

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Goat View Post
Wrong. Unless she’s charged/convicted of a felony it won’t come up on any HR department’s radar short of working for LE/FBI. Unless you’re considering Google and Facebook as databases...... She’ll be fine employment-wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
At this point she has not been arrested, may never be arrested.
How will it stick? Maybe in the Tacoma WA area, but if she leaves the area she is able to fall off the radar.
You ought to get up-to-date on how data is compiled on you. Long were the days of police records. Now it’s the internet. When you apply for jobs at banks, even small clerk jobs, they get the whole enchilada on you. And it’s becoming more and more invasive. There’s no falling off the radar. I don’t like it, but it’s the Information Age. This killing will be with her forever.

To be clear again, I neither know or care which one was in the wrong or culpable or responsible. Both played stupid games. Both won stupid prizes.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:34 PM   #71
nakedape
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Multistrada S
Name: Doug
^^^^ She won her life, not a stupid prize. And for those speculating about CCW, Wa. gives out permits to anyone with a valid DL and no felonies.

The driver had to get out of his car. He won the stupid prize.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:45 PM   #72
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Dude was looking for trouble and found it. He won't try that again.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #73
chickenfried
Super Noob

Motorcycles: 2017 CB500F
Name: Daniel
kettle...
Quote:
More armchair quarterback talk ... .
chickenfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #74
islemann
Older 'n Dirt

Motorcycles: '94 Kawasaki ZG1000
Name: Michael
It was a tragedy waiting to unfurl itself.

Latest is that she won't be charged with anything.

There are witnesses who attempted to stop the guy from beating her.

One version is that this guy was wailing on her, yanking at her helmet, kicking, shoving and eventually knocking her to the ground where the beating continued. At that point she was able to get her weapon out and shoot him with a single round - killing him on the spot.

Less is known about what led up to the assault.

I'm going to posit the following personal experience with using the car-pool lanes while on a moto:

I've been riding for 57 years now. At one point I was commuting about 30mi each way in heavy Seattle traffic. I used the car-pool lanes 99% of the time. EVERY time I was in the CP lane, some yahoo would brake check me or tailgate me or some other insane bs. I stopped counting the number of people who took offense to my being legally in the CP lane. Washington drivers are some of the most idiotic and passive aggressive drivers I've ever had the pleasure of riding among. It's likely that dead guy was simply pissed off that a moto was in the CP lane.

By the way - you're not a 'senior' until you get ALL the senior discounts.

So there.

http://www.facebook.com/islemann
islemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:59 AM   #75
ABC
Veteran

AMA #:2770635
Contributor +

Motorcycles: !
Name: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entoptic View Post
Have you ever tried to fight with gear on? I have many times and it’s the suck. However the armor does provide nice benefits but I’d still take clothing over attgat.
Yeah but I’m also 6’6 and have a long ass reach. The two times I scrapped with some motorcycle gear on was against some little Filipino guys. But I guess I can see where it could get in the way. Maybe try fighting less and you won’t have to worry about it lol
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote