Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 08-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
Alan_Hepburn
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1994 GL1500SE
Name:
Air conditioning in your helmet?

Here's an interesting concept to keep you cooler during your rides: Air conditioned helmet
Old 08-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Name:
hmmmm id have to try one on.
Whammy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Wow, interesting idea. 10-15F isn't that much, though. Some odd things in the FAQ too:

Is there a battery pack that can be used instead of hard-wiring the harness to the motorcycle battery?

There are several 12v battery pack options that can be purchased separately that will work with the ACH-1 connectors such as this option from Talentcell. Please read the specifications carefully and be sure to use a battery pack that does not exceed 13v and works with the ACH-1 connectors. The length of time these batteries will power the helmet in AC mode will vary, but you can expect the following approximate times:

3000mAh battery should power the helmet for around 2 hours
6000mAh battery should power it for 4 hours
12000mAh should work for 6 hours.

any bike with a properly functioning charging system will be outputting significantly over 13V (mid 14s generally).

it sounds like it uses about 1.5A/18W, so almost any bike's charging system should be fine with it.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
Feanor
Unmasked

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 2008 ZX-10R, 2004 KDX-220R
Name: David
I think Formula 1 has been using cool helmets for quite a long time, but I don't think their helmets are self contained.

They realized and capitalized a long time ago on the fact that if you keep a persons head cold(er) it doesn't matter (within reason) how hot your body gets. Whether or not its more psychological than physiological I have no idea, but if it didn't work and work very well, I doubt the weight stingy F1 engineers would sacrifice extra ounces for it. I think they also only use them in extreme situations.

Neat implementation!
"How many times has a cop looked over and said, 'There goes a Ninja' The name just stuck, like 'Crescent wrench', it's actually an adjustable end wrench made by Crescent Inc., but people know them as Crescent wrenches. Sportbikes are the same way, all sportbikes are Ninjas, especially if they're Kawasaki"

~ Nick Ienatsch

Last edited by Feanor; 08-24-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Wow, interesting idea. 10-15F isn't that much, though. Some odd things in the FAQ too:

Is there a battery pack that can be used instead of hard-wiring the harness to the motorcycle battery?

There are several 12v battery pack options that can be purchased separately that will work with the ACH-1 connectors such as this option from Talentcell. Please read the specifications carefully and be sure to use a battery pack that does not exceed 13v and works with the ACH-1 connectors. The length of time these batteries will power the helmet in AC mode will vary, but you can expect the following approximate times:

3000mAh battery should power the helmet for around 2 hours
6000mAh battery should power it for 4 hours
12000mAh should work for 6 hours.

any bike with a properly functioning charging system will be outputting significantly over 13V (mid 14s generally).

it sounds like it uses about 1.5A/18W, so almost any bike's charging system should be fine with it.
10-15 degrees below ambient is a considerable amount IMO.

I'm surprised at the low weight.
Abacinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
sanjuro
Rider

Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000
Name: Steve
Well, from my bicycling experience, venting and air flow are the keys in keeping a cool head.

Most helmets do an so-so job there.

Of course, too many vents means the helmet will explode in a high speed impact.

Still imagine a helmet with this many vents...

sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
redtail
only ones and zeroes

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: <LIFE><! Ride until..></LIFE>
Name: Jon
Hmm, sounds cool to me.

Like Whammy said, I'd like to try before I buy however.
redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
kurth83
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda CB500X, BMW F700GS
Name:
If I could buy one integrated helmet, that had all the doodads, and it was a good helmet, like Shoei, maybe.

Like:
A/C, heat, HUD, windshield wipers, defogger.
Using a single plug compatible with my gerbing gear.

It might be a big heavy helmet though, and possibly pointless as a result. The return of Dark Helmet...
Old 08-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
The home page of their site shows a pic of a guy riding a bike but the head/helmet is cropped out of the picture
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #10
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
If I could buy one integrated helmet, that had all the doodads, and it was a good helmet, like Shoei, maybe.

Like:
A/C, heat, HUD, windshield wipers, defogger.
Using a single plug compatible with my gerbing gear.

It might be a big heavy helmet though, and possibly pointless as a result. The return of Dark Helmet...
Sounds like a car that you wear on your head.

California Superbike School ē tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
I wonder what that hunk of hardware on the back of the helmet might do to it's crash worthiness? Would it cause injury in an accident?

I'd always thought I'd install some fine tubing and some misters in the air channels in my helmet, provide a quick disconnect at the back/side of the helmet, and hook it up to one of those pressurized mister bottles. When it gets hot, just press a button and you get moisture in your helmet which would help cooling. Better than stopping and soaking your head. But the times I really wanted something like that were few and far between. The worst was a trip up to Idaho in the middle of the high desert in eastern Oregon. It got up to 115 degrees with zero shade and I was wearing an all black Darien. I stopped to buy some water and ice a few times. 'Took everything out of my pockets and stuffed my pockets as much as I could with ice. Then soaked myself top and bottom with water.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #12
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
I think Formula 1 has been using cool helmets for quite a long time, but I don't think their helmets are self contained.
F1 (actually none of the euro open-seat series) donít use helmet cooling. For the 3-4 hottest locations the driver does wear a cooling vest but theyíre self contained, unlike the vests which are supplied by cold water via pump system that are used in DTM and the endurance races. Even Indy car doesnít have helmet cooling.

NASCAR and the Aussie Supercar series DO use helmet coolers as the enclosed cabins get much hotter inside than an open-wheeler and another 30lbs is less of an issue for them.

My brother drove for a GT3 team in the early 2000ís and he said that Porsche would have been miserable without wearing a pump-supplied vest.

The helmet linked by OP has a stated weight and of 1,450 grams (+-30gr), which works out to about just 3.23lbs...thatís about the weight of your normal Arai or Shoei!
Slow Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #13
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
ive never really worried about how hot my head was during a race. but I do go through a bit of effort to reduce my body temp - ice towels, cold showers, soaking my undersuit, etc. so head cooling would probably be helpful. theres no way this would ever be "legal" for race use though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
I wonder what that hunk of hardware on the back of the helmet might do to it's crash worthiness? Would it cause injury in an accident?
its just another thing to get destroyed and soak up energy in the event of an impact. so long as the helmet is "complete" without it and theres nothing to pierce the shell, I cant imagine this would add risk.

actually, I can imagine one scenario. its adding a longer lever arm on the back of the helmet for rotation. with all the MIPS stuff and trying to reducing skull rotation, this could make that worse. but, if it just breaks off easily, itd probably reduce that too.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 08-24-2018 at 04:54 PM..
stangmx13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #14
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
If they work, I'm in.

Like a cool head!
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #15
Aware
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda
Name: Steve
When my head is hot (like when my head is baking inside a helmet in full sun at 100f++), my capacity to think diminishes significantly. My lizard brain just about functions well enough to handle riding with minimal distractions. I'd prefer a settable thermostat, but a 10f or so reduction would be a huge help.
Aware is offline   Reply With Quote