Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 12-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
No More Anonymous Paper/Dealer License Plates

AB516 takes effect Jan01 - Thank you Steve Jobs?

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...nse-plate-law/

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160AB516

Could should maybe help cut down on some crimes as bad actors/perps are fond of rolling in new/old cars with paper dealer plates?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Yep
Those were such easy tickets. 9/10 cars I stopped with paper plates had passed the required deadline to put plates on.

Lots of people seem to buy cars on 12/31, so expect to continue to see paper plates until at least 03/30.

That Steve Jobs loophole never made sense to me since the law was 90 days, not 6 months.
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
given the shitpiles I see with paper plates or no plates, I don't expect much to change
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
Those were such easy tickets. 9/10 cars I stopped with paper plates had passed the required deadline to put plates on.

Lots of people seem to buy cars on 12/31, so expect to continue to see paper plates until at least 03/30.

That Steve Jobs loophole never made sense to me since the law was 90 days, not 6 months.
Prior to 2011, it used to be 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
given the shitpiles I see with paper plates or no plates, I don't expect much to change
This will help. It will be easier to enforce. Now, starting April 2019, all vehicles will have to display license plates. So police will be able to easily stop them if they don't. Right now, police can't stop a vehicle solely for having no plates if there is a temporary registration displayed. And, of course, we can't read what the temp reg. says (the ones displayed on the lower right side of the windshield). An officer can't just stop a vehicle to check it. They have to have another violation to stop for. With the new law, officers will be able to stop any car solely for not displaying license plates, starting April 1st. This is an improvement.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "

Last edited by bojangle; 12-18-2018 at 12:55 PM..
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Way to go California. Finally a change I can agree with.

In case anybody is interested, the state of Idaho just gives you the paperwork when you buy a new vehicle and it's up to you to stop by the DMV to pick up your license plate. I got mine the same day when I bought my KTM in July. No waiting for a month or more for the plate to arrive in the mail.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Prior to 2011, it used to be 6 months.

This will help. It will be easier to enforce. Now, starting April 2019, all vehicles will have to display license plates. So police will be able to easily stop them if they don't. Right now, police can't stop a vehicle solely for having no plates if there is a temporary registration displayed. And, of course, we can't read what the temp reg. says (the ones displayed on the lower right side of the windshield). An officer can't just stop a vehicle to check it. They have to have another violation to stop for. With the new law, officers will be able to stop any car solely for not displaying license plates, starting April 1st. This is an improvement.
and I imagine any piece of white paper, folded properly, taped in the right place, is enough to remove RS
Old 12-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
and I imagine any piece of white paper, folded properly, taped in the right place, is enough to remove RS
On older cars it is easier to articulate the reasonable suspicion for a stop with paper plates. Brand new or cars that appear brand new are more difficult.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
orbframe
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

AMA #1090498
Contributor + 2%

Motorcycles: 2019 FLHXS, 2017 FXDLS, 2002 RC51, 2001 500R (GF Bike), 1997 FLHT
Name: Dan
I want the electronic plate but I don’t like the tracking...
orbframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
bergmen
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
So police will be able to easily stop them if they don't. Right now, police can't stop a vehicle solely for having no plates if there is a temporary registration displayed. And, of course, we can't read what the temp reg. says (the ones displayed on the lower right side of the windshield). An officer can't just stop a vehicle to check it. They have to have another violation to stop for. With the new law, officers will be able to stop any car solely for not displaying license plates, starting April 1st. This is an improvement.
Interesting. A couple of weeks after I bought my new 2018 Tundra (January of this year), I was pulled over and asked when I bought the vehicle. The CHP officer wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to get away with not displaying my plates in order to get out of paying bridge tolls. No other reason was given for pulling me over and he sent me on my way when I told him I only had the truck for two weeks (temp. reg. in plastic bag taped to windshield).

He was curious since I had a bunch of stickers on the back window (I do that immediately after taking possession of any new vehicle).

Dan
bergmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Mind the drive for this isn't Steve Jobs, it's toll roads and license plate readers.

No doubt there are other factors, but it's been like this in California forever. It's the toll roads and LPRs that likely kicked it over the top.
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Mass. has a kinda interesting system where the plate is tied to insurance, can't get a plate until the vehicle is insured and can't cancel your insurance until you turn in the plate. Still possible to drive without insurance, but makes it a lot harder.

You take your plates with you when you sell a car there, and anything without a plate gets pulled over pretty quick.
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #12
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
You take your plates with you when you sell a car there, and anything without a plate gets pulled over pretty quick.
Utah and Idaho also do it that way. They go through a lot more license plates that way. I already have two pairs of car plates and two motorcycle plates from when I first registered my vehicles in Idaho, then switched to personalized plates on everything. In California you can't get the new plate until you turn in the old one, which I've also done multiple times.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
Utah and Idaho also do it that way. They go through a lot more license plates that way. I already have two pairs of car plates and two motorcycle plates from when I first registered my vehicles in Idaho, then switched to personalized plates on everything. In California you can't get the new plate until you turn in the old one, which I've also done multiple times.
Not sure it's much different in total number of plates since you put the old plate on your new car.
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #14
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
On older cars it is easier to articulate the reasonable suspicion for a stop with paper plates. Brand new or cars that appear brand new are more difficult.
I can't tell you how many people stop by our shop (dealership) asking for new inserts because their old ones are brittle and sun faded. The answer is no.
I've also lost track of how many unopened license plate packets I've found on top of the spare tire or elsewhere in the the cargo area. I've even found vanity plates back there, still in the DMV packet. Those are the one's that really puzzle me.
Some of the guys I work with get all pissed off by it. Me not so much. I look at the license plate issue the same way I look at limo tint. It seems those types of stops frequently lead to much bigger things....DUI, no license, ect....which is fine with me.
I am glad to see the anonymous inserts go away for lots and lots of reasons

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.

Last edited by gixxerjeff; 12-19-2018 at 02:40 PM..
gixxerjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #15
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
Mass. has a kinda interesting system where the plate is tied to insurance, can't get a plate until the vehicle is insured and can't cancel your insurance until you turn in the plate. Still possible to drive without insurance, but makes it a lot harder.

if you get insurance and then don't pay after the first month, what happens?