Old 09-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #31
mikev
»»───knee───►

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyRooster View Post
I bought a used Sundance 4 person tub (actually two people unless OFG party rules apply)
I keep checking my texts. My invite must not have gone through.

lying on the stones on the shore. in the dark. muscles torn. bones broken. heart aching. waiting for the tide to rise and take you into sweet oblivion. and then dawn breaks. and the glow flows over you. and you open a swollen eye, and cry at the beauty of the sun on the horizon. and think maybe...maybe you can pull yourself up - and make it one more day. maybe. one more day. and you rise.
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #32
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
Get the one that's also a time machine
Abacinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:44 AM   #33
CockyRooster
Grab the Transmogrifier!

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: '08 ZX10, XR650L Baja King! And a CRF230 if I'm quick about it;)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev View Post
I keep checking my texts. My invite must not have gone through.
I thought the Zoom sessions were enough during the pandemic?

AFM #378

------------------------------------------------------
CockyRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #34
fraz
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 1992 Ducati 900ss
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyRooster View Post
I bought a used Sundance 4 person tub (actually two people unless OFG party rules apply) and loved it every day. Spend the money for a good insulated one and wire it correctly with a dedicated 220 circuit. The 110v toggle between heat or jets as they have to allocate what little power they have available. If you don’t set it up correctly now you’ll tire of the headaches in short order.

A lot of good quality tubs are given away for just the cost of moving it. Buyer remodels new home, etc.
+1

I got a score on a lightly used Hot Springs Jetsetter NXT (3 person) and it is awesome. I was fortunate my house already had 100 amp breaker at the box and run to part of the house where I needed it. Running 220 is certainly more efficient and will save you dollars on your recurring electric bill. I'd say so far it looks like it is ~$40mo for mine. Hard to tell exactly since we just got everything done a couple months ago and been using a lot of fans due to the fires and smoke.

Brett, you don't run them on/off only on certain months... it is a 24x7x365 heating operation; so plan on that. So well-insulated, efficient power are key factors to consider. Spending $$ on 220 install may suck initially but it will save you in the long run. 110v has a limited(short) amount of distance you can do so check the docs on that before you commit to a plan as well.

Another thing that Hot Springs has going for it is if you get one with an ozinator. It helps to knock down your maintenance considerably! When we set mine up we discovered they "forgot" to add it from the factory. After a few calls to place it was purchased, they made good and sent somebody out to install. So much better now it's not funny. And yes, they are extremely busy and apparently Covid had created a surge in hot tub sales; who knew?

Other fun items to consider are where you are going to put it. I ended up setting forms and pouring a concrete pad in back corner of yard. Then trenching conduit, pulling wire, etc. If you are going for an existing patio, that makes it easier and cheaper.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #35
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
We have a large 15x17 concrete pad in the back corner of our property near the pool. That gives us a good location, however it's also quite a distance form our power panel which is on the far corner of our house, meaning $$$$$ to run a 220 line, especially since there is a solid concrete slab from our house to the other side of the pool, so very hard to run a 220 line.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #36
Racinfrk
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
Name:
Keep in mind that most "Hot Tubs" aka Spas are made by one manufacture. I know that Dimension One spas used to be one of the best on the market (I purchased one about 10 years ago and have had almost zero problems). However, Dim One was bought out by Jacuzzi Group a few years ago. Jacuzzi Group now owns most of the spa companies (including Sundance).

DO NOT buy a spa from a big box store (Home Depot, Costco, etc.) as those are the cheap models made by the "manufactures". Also, keep in mind that the pool/spa industry is very cut throat and very unscrupulous. So do your research into who you are dealing with. There are many claims that are just not true (snake oil).

Last edited by Racinfrk; 09-29-2020 at 08:53 AM..
Racinfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #37
mercurial
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 09 Monster 1100S
Name:
You already have a pool, is it possible to add on an in-ground hot tub?

My house has a joined in-ground pool/hot tub and it's a great setup. the hottub takes about 45 mins to get to temp with the fat gas heater, and when you're done the water just recycles into the main pool. It probably costs about $5 for a session?
mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #38
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
You already have a pool, is it possible to add on an in-ground hot tub?

My house has a joined in-ground pool/hot tub and it's a great setup. the hottub takes about 45 mins to get to temp with the fat gas heater, and when you're done the water just recycles into the main pool. It probably costs about $5 for a session?
It'd be cool if we could, but the layout doesn't lend itself to that kind of an arrangement. I saw that kind of setup with some of the homes for sale but they weren't in the right school district down here.

Has anybody tried a setup that includes a structure over the hot tube that also has solar heating setup to cycle the water through to use the sun to warm it up? Is it feasible? Yeah, I know, blue sky stray thoughts.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #39
Free_Bird
Highways

Motorcycles: Piaggio
Name:
A Hot Spring 6-7 person Spa has two main pumps, 24hr small pump, Ozone generator and two element heating coil.
It is built like a thermos bottle. Sides and top cover are thick with insulation. It is in the open with a deck built around it with a roof over it. It is large enough to stretch out to do swimming like exercises. Do run it at 96-98 temp range.
When idle a small Filter Pump similar to an aquarium pump continuously runs. It doesn't use much energy. The heater element going on/off controlled by a thermostat. The energy cost is nominal in idle mode.
In use with huge pumps run all the while one is in the spa. However shutting the Jets off and just relaxing is nice. I don't notice significant energy cost with using the Spa every other day for a hour.

During the hot Summer Days turn the spa heat off and use it to cool down.
During the Winter it would be nice to have the spa enclosed with an area to move around just next to it. Cause damn getting out of hot spa soaking wet in to 30-40f degree temps. Now add winds omg.

It is one of the best investments and useful luxuries I experienced. After the Spa Parties are over it is an exercise facilitator. Potentially used daily.
Free_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #40
poach
seeking balance

Motorcycles: Moto what???
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_Bird View Post
A Hot Spring 6-7 person Spa has two main pumps, 24hr small pump, Ozone generator and two element heating coil.
It is built like a thermos bottle. Sides and top cover are thick with insulation. It is in the open with a deck built around it with a roof over it. It is large enough to stretch out to do swimming like exercises. Do run it at 96-98 temp range.
When idle a small Filter Pump similar to an aquarium pump continuously runs. It doesn't use much energy. The heater element going on/off controlled by a thermostat. The energy cost is nominal in idle mode.
In use with huge pumps run all the while one is in the spa. However shutting the Jets off and just relaxing is nice. I don't notice significant energy cost with using the Spa every other day for a hour.

During the hot Summer Days turn the spa heat off and use it to cool down.
During the Winter it would be nice to have the spa enclosed with an area to move around just next to it. Cause damn getting out of hot spa soaking wet in to 30-40f degree temps. Now add winds omg.

It is one of the best investments and useful luxuries I experienced. After the Spa Parties are over it is an exercise facilitator. Potentially used daily.
I’ve found that to be the case as well, if you know what I mean.

OP, 26yr spa owner here. Best advice I can offer is that spending money up front for a high quality, 2 speed motor equipped, massively insulated spa and cover(you can spend the money on insulation or just hand it over to pge) will save you money and headaches in the long run.

If goofy bells&whistles like led backlit waterfalls, sound systems, and overdone though poorly designed jetting is your thing then cool. Just know that’s the stuff they’ll try to sell up on you.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:18 PM   #41
daventura
wants you to stop smoking

Contributor

Motorcycles: are inherently dangerous.
Name: David
My old housemate in Novato runs a spa place there.

I could probably get you a discount.

The brands they carry are Caldera and Freeflow.

https://northbayspas.com/hot-tubs/caldera-spas/

Old 10-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #42
littlebeast
get it while it's easy

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
We're looking to get a hot tub/spa, it looks like there is a wide price variation among them and even on the same brands but there are perks that come with the higher price that aren't entirely obvious in their value.

Any brands that are better than others?

Which brand is the best value for what you get?

What do you want to avoid?

It seems that wiring for a 220 circuit could cost $1k extra, is it worth it or 110 (plug and play) is good enough.
we loved ours the first 10-15 times we used it. after that we got religious about checking the water quality. holy shit that thing was like a petri dish on steroids (take sloughed off organic material, add moisture and heat, sit back and be totally fucking amazed at what grows lol). takes a shit ton of chemicals to kill all that - resulting in bathing in a chemical soup. no thanks.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #43
SFSV650
The Slowest Sprotbike™

Contributor + + + 3%

Motorcycles: 2007 R1200R
Name:
Electrical service aside, what's the low - mid - high price, installed, for a 2/4 person tub in the Bay Area these days?
SFSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #44
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
we loved ours the first 10-15 times we used it. after that we got religious about checking the water quality. holy shit that thing was like a petri dish on steroids (take sloughed off organic material, add moisture and heat, sit back and be totally fucking amazed at what grows lol). takes a shit ton of chemicals to kill all that - resulting in bathing in a chemical soup. no thanks.
now apply that to public facilities, hotels, gyms etc. most i'll ever do is put my feet in and that's only when i'm feeling sexy
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #45
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
It depends on what chemical system you use. I use the Baquacil system. It's a sanitizer similar to hydrogen peroxide. It doesn't leave a chemically smell on your skin like bromine or chlorine. Very easy to use. Have you ever put ocean/lake/stream water under a microscope and seen what you're swimming in?
I'm pretty sure all hot tubs come with 2 speed pumps.
Because ours is on 115, the heater doesn't run when the high speed pump is on but I've never felt that this was an issue. I generally only run the high speed pump for a few minutes at a time and then turn it off. I like the quiet serenity of staring at the stars while sitting in hot water.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote