Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post
One of those that think those people with comorbidities would have died without covid. I mean yeah, we're all gonna die but to ignore the concept that covid escalated their deaths is silly. It exacerbates chronic conditions.

We're down to whatever number you want to use in an attempt to minimize it's risk to the general public. Yes, the elderly in LTACs are members of that group.

I'm pretty open about my thoughts on it. I think lockdown is a bit much but I think American's are more then a bit dumb and selfish.

I think this is more infectious and thus has the capability to kill at a much higher rate then other viruses.

I think we're at a point now where the elderly are being cautious and the LTACs are minimizing risks sufficiently that we can start opening up. We have decent treatment protocols and less people are dying. I think we could have done this a while ago but then again, Sturgis is a great example of stupid. Funny how this was 6-8 weeks ago and now they're in the thick of it. Good thing they lack population density.
We agree on most of the elements. My broader point is that Covid is a driver of the deaths, but not predominantly the actual cause of death. The deaths have become politicized and monetized which has made actual determination difficult. Most certainly Covid has a high infection rate. OTOH, it's survivability among different age group varies and age groups tend to determine mortality when battling the infection. This is not much different with other infections in the same age groups.

I'll just put this out there: you're very judgmental with your data and leave little room for being incorrect. I've found that being incorrect is where I've learned the most, not the least. With a grain of salt Matt, your approach may suit your intent, but also may limit your true reach which is shame. You've got lots of good info, it's just the responses to some folks that put me (personally) off.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #557
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
One of the articles linked here recently made the point that Covid is frequently considered an underlying cause, which describes it as being the thing that starts a chain reaction that turns out to be fatal. Another way of saying it is, even though there were comorbidities, the patient wouldn't have died then had they not caught Covid. This seems to be where we get "Covid related" deaths.

While we can be critical of the average state of health in the US, in the end, our state of health is the environment in which the virus finds itself and it seems to be thriving there. That it kills a lot of hosts isn't its problem, as it has time to find more hosts first.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #558
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++++++ 2%

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Mateusz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
We agree on most of the elements. My broader point is that Covid is a driver of the deaths, but not predominantly the actual cause of death. The deaths have become politicized and monetized which has made actual determination difficult. Most certainly Covid has a high infection rate. OTOH, it's survivability among different age group varies and age groups tend to determine mortality when battling the infection. This is not much different with other infections in the same age groups.

I'll just put this out there: you're very judgmental with your data and leave little room for being incorrect. I've found that being incorrect is where I've learned the most, not the least. With a grain of salt Matt, your approach may suit your intent, but also may limit your true reach which is shame. You've got lots of good info, it's just the responses to some folks that put me (personally) off.
People keep jumping on this monetized piece and it doesn't shake out. You don't write covid on a death certificate and a check shows up in the mail. So there is no run up on covid deaths. While it is true that hospitals get about a 20% premium for treating covid patients, that's really a function of the current fee for service or diagnostic related groups business model that hospitals are currently fixated on. (Yay, you can thank insurance companies for this as they wanted a fixed cost per procedure.) Anyway, the difference between a patient in the ICU or a covid patient in the ICU is about $10,000 or so... ball park. So you would need millions of covid patients for hospitals to offset their elective surgery revenue. BUT let's take Alabame for example. They had 17,257 hospitalizations and 1,815 ICU patients diagnosed with Covid. If ALL of them were misdiagnosed, we're talking $1.8M overpayment for the ICU and $30M in overpayment in hospitalization. That number sounds really big but we're talking 125 hospitals with 33,000 beds on $108,645,638,887 of revenue so $256,000 per hospital doesn't even pay for 2 doctors salaries.

What's that, a .03% overpayment? It's really a drop in the bucket.

As a side note, in order to code for covid you need a positive test result. In order to get a positive test result you need a path lab test result on file. The amount of people involved in a scam of this nature would be too large to keep it a secret. Maybe in the beginning of this when we didn't have tests it was plausible but it really isn't anymore. I'm not sure how many hospitals are doing in house testing so the scam would then involve another company. It's all too unlikely.

I actually try to be fairly impartial with my claims and statements. Well, except towards a member or 2. But I'll take note of it.
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 10-01-2020 at 03:04 PM..
Yakoo752 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #559
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Thanks Matt for that last post. One of the gems I've become accustomed to you writing. That's a good one.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #560
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++++++ 2%

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Mateusz
Happy to oblige

Look man, my team is tasked with putting together an internal newsletter on covid every single week. Most of the questions posited in here, I've been asked to analyze already and determine not only validity but solution set. I've poured through countless articles and publications, interviewed countless hospital decision makers, ran many primary research projects on covid and the real impacts to healthcare. I literally consume covid information 5 days a week, if not 7.

So the above is practically a verbatim response to someone who asked that question internally. Is it a real problem and can we manage it appropriately with software. The opportunity didn't exist for us because it's such a small problem financially for everyone.
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 10-01-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Yakoo752 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #561
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
We agree on most of the elements. My broader point is that Covid is a driver of the deaths, but not predominantly the actual cause of death. The deaths have become politicized and monetized which has made actual determination difficult.
But without Covid 1 million people, and counting, would still be alive, right?

How do you "make money" by identifying Covid as a pandemic?
GAJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #562
rothmans
Lowering my expectations

Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Honda relics.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJ View Post

How do you "make money" by identifying Covid as a pandemic?
Cantillon effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	open-graph.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	537744  
Old 10-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #563
phil turdwater
Björn Tobey-Wilde

Motorcycles: 1100 muleteastradaa
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil turdwater View Post
this thread is exactly why Swedens approach would be far less successful here.
thanks, self. this becomes more evident by the day now.
phil turdwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:46 PM   #564
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
this thread is exactly why Swedens approach would be far less successful here.
Quote:
thanks, self. this becomes more evident by the day now.
What the fuck are you on about?

The advantage of the Swedish approach is getting to herd immunity WITHOUT destroying the economic infrastructure that supports modern society. The DISadvantage of the approach taken in much of the US--and particularly in California--is that it maximizes economic destruction while making only slow progress toward immunity.

Herd immunity can be reached only when some percentage of the population either has pre-existing immunity to the virus or acquires it by becoming infected (or, ultimately, via vaccine). But many Californians don't grasp this and favor any means available to slow its spread. Reducing the rate of spread increases the time needed to achieve the necessary penetration, and at the same time causes what will soon (or already has) become irreparable damage to the society and economy.

The reason the Swedish approach wouldn't work here is that some people reject the undeniable fact that the virus isn't going to just go away. It's here and we must learn to live with it.

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:37 PM   #565
phil turdwater
Björn Tobey-Wilde

Motorcycles: 1100 muleteastradaa
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
What the fuck are you on about?

The advantage of the Swedish approach is getting to herd immunity WITHOUT destroying the economic infrastructure that supports modern society. The DISadvantage of the approach taken in much of the US--and particularly in California--is that it maximizes economic destruction while making only slow progress toward immunity.

Herd immunity can be reached only when some percentage of the population either has pre-existing immunity to the virus or acquires it by becoming infected (or, ultimately, via vaccine). But many Californians don't grasp this and favor any means available to slow its spread. Reducing the rate of spread increases the time needed to achieve the necessary penetration, and at the same time causes what will soon (or already has) become irreparable damage to the society and economy.

The reason the Swedish approach wouldn't work here is that some people reject the undeniable fact that the virus isn't going to just go away. It's here and we must learn to live with it.
ok caca mouth. first, Sweden does not have anything near herd immunity and second it's economy has not exactly thrived during this.

third, it is 100% unilaterally agreed by just about anybody studying epidemiology that if the USA as a whole had adopted Swedens approach that the deaths and severe cases that we don't yet know the long range effects of would be many times higher. imho probably an order of magnitude higher, but i'm not an epidemiologist.

i just listen to them, not disinfo spreaders on social media.

anyways here is a good article on what is going on there considering you probably have no idea what is really like.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...u-want-believe
phil turdwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #566
zelig
black 'tard heroine

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM GSF1250S
Name:
I'll go along with the "we should just do what Sweden does" as long as that includes faithfully replicating their healthcare system.
zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #567
Snaggy
Veteran

Motorcycles: GSXR's
Name:
I really hope that the goal of herd immunity isn’t motivating no-maskers, because we will never reach natural herd immunity before vaccines and treatments expose it for the delusional thinking that it is.

For one thing, the people that have already had the disease, maybe 30% by some estimates, are low hanging fruit. It will take longer before people that aren’t interested in Darwinism do their fair share of the dying.

Even if you could spend the next six months doubling the number of infected, we won’t get business as usual. Americans will not be able to travel overseas, sick people won’t be able to participate in the economy, and local lockdowns will still be necessary when the number of sick severely taxes healthcare availability.

And it’s not even necessary. Wear masks, back off on the clubbing and gatherings and we can still see the economy recover faster.
Snaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #568
Snaggy
Veteran

Motorcycles: GSXR's
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelig View Post
I'll go along with the "we should just do what Sweden does" as long as that includes faithfully replicating their healthcare system.
I’d rather be in an American hospital than in any other in the world from a quality of care and outcome aspect. From a financial perspective, not if I had to pay a lot of the bill.

Last edited by Snaggy; 10-04-2020 at 01:50 PM..
Snaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #569
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Imagine what the damage to the economy would be if this mythical Covid herd immunity could be reached without a vaccine.

Illness and death aren't exactly cheap, and I don't think people would want to go without a fight.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #570
bmwbob51
BMWBOB

Motorcycles: 2014 BMW 1200GS 74 Norton Commando
Name: Bob
Didn't I read there are 100 million folks with underlying conditions that make them susceptible to dying from covid
bmwbob51 is offline   Reply With Quote