BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #61
Killroy1999
Veteran
 
Killroy1999's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Campbell, CA
Motorcycles: Zero SR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
The way they designed the trunk and the lid is stupid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16SW...utu.be&t=3m24s
I was hoping for a lift back/ hatch.
Killroy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #62
Killroy1999
Veteran
 
Killroy1999's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Campbell, CA
Motorcycles: Zero SR
Name:
People own cars for a long time, so gas is still going to be a thing even if I am a EV owner. New cars are going to more and more electrified. Hybrid, plug-in hybrid. Its the only way to enhance efficiency. Can't beet 90-100 MPGe of EVs.
Killroy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #63
Blankpage
alien
 
Blankpage's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: on assignment
Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Not being able to install a fart can exhaust might hurt sales amongst the import tuner ricky rice racers.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #64
wazzuFreddo
WuTang is 4 the children
 
wazzuFreddo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: norte del Rio Bravo
Motorcycles: antisocially distantanced
Name: bobesponja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy1999 View Post
Why, may I ask.

Model III has the ~6000 Supercharger network and is a little less.

The city car look of the Bolt (like a Honda Fit) is very functional, but I don't think people think its stylish. I like the shape, but I like the shape of the Model III better.
Functionality, I have two kids so that adds up to a lot. Also, I prefer the LG Chem system in the Chevy over the Panasonic system in the Teslas. Both are good systems, I just prefer LG Chem.
__________________
Don't Try

Support bacteria, itís the only culture some people have.
wazzuFreddo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #65
Jalopyshoppe
idiot
 
Jalopyshoppe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: DIFFERENT PLACES
Motorcycles: FXR thing, Buell Ulysses, Honda CRF250 Rally, Hawk GT's , and various others.
Name: Fish
Tesla is truly the Apple of carmakers. People who flock to them are doing so because of the name, not the product. The car itself is mediocre. The other major EV's are better products IMO.
Something that still irritates me is the excess of their lineup. The electric car is supposed to be some sort of green solution, but the cars are far from minimalistic. I'd like to see an actual BTU/mile comparison. I'd bet that they'd be fairly inefficient. No one wants to admit that there is still a carbon footprint in the manufacturing, transport, and the electricity that these cars use. I realize that wasteful ICE cars are nothing new, but the juxtaposition of a luxurious green car is funny to me.
You'll pry my 7.3 diesel stickshift trucks fromy cold dead hands. Moving 18k lbs and getting 12mpg is hard to beat.
Jalopyshoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #66
sandyxb
very tall
 
sandyxb's Avatar
 
Contributor+++++++

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: 05 red
Name: Sandra
You are still sitting in the Tesla combusting glucose and ketones
sandyxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #67
packnrat
Veteran
 
Contributor

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Motorcycles: 2004 FZ1 1993 klr 650 1978 xl 350
Name:
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobSJ View Post
Not quite that far back. 1996. Was truly ahead of its time. Full aluminum frame, thermoplastic body panels, magnesium wheels, only 3000lbs(with over 1/3 of that being batteries), and a coefficient of drag that a Honda Insight could only dream of.

It'd be interesting if someone could take one of those EV1s (there's only a handful left)and retrofit it with a modern lithium ion pack. I bet it could probably go 400+ miles on a charge.


And yeah I'm hoping the EV demand makes gas cheaper. I like burning gas.
diesel all the way baby.

i will gladly sit in my 3/4 ton truck all comfy and safe, and a room with a view.

try getting plowed into in you little toy battery powered cage, by a fool doing 90mph +.

sure a 4X4 gets only 19 mpg avg. but has a range of over 450 miles to a factory tank. open rd even better.
extended tank? my bladder would burst first.
refuel stop to back on the hwy in 5 min or less.
and i can haul everything and then some needed in life. plenty of room for 4-5 dogs (large ones). and sits six in comfort. aka: elbow, knee room.
then there's the bed.

all factory, no chip, no stupid over sized exhaust tip. and no smoke coming out the tail pipe.
.

.

Last edited by packnrat; 04-01-2016 at 09:23 PM..
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #68
littlebeast
get it while it's easy
 
littlebeast's Avatar
 
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SFBA
Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopyshoppe View Post
Tesla is truly the Apple of carmakers. People who flock to them are doing so because of the name, not the product. The car itself is mediocre. The other major EV's are better products IMO.
Something that still irritates me is the excess of their lineup. The electric car is supposed to be some sort of green solution, but the cars are far from minimalistic. I'd like to see an actual BTU/mile comparison. I'd bet that they'd be fairly inefficient. No one wants to admit that there is still a carbon footprint in the manufacturing, transport, and the electricity that these cars use. I realize that wasteful ICE cars are nothing new, but the juxtaposition of a luxurious green car is funny to me.
You'll pry my 7.3 diesel stickshift trucks fromy cold dead hands. Moving 18k lbs and getting 12mpg is hard to beat.
completely disagree. with regard to tesla, much is aspirational, and they are selling something that does not currently exist. they have yet to make a profit, and this smacks of a bizarre unconventional financing scheme. they raised $200,000,000 on this exploit alone. whereas like/agree with them or not, apple does not rely on such bizarre funding tactics. they make it or not based on their own effort and internal funding of same.
__________________
ďYou see, a dog growls when itís angry, and wags its tail when itís pleased. I growl when Iím pleased, and wag my tail when Iím angry." - Cheshire Cat
littlebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #69
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...
 
Johndicezx9's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Monterey Pen
Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Not being able to install a fart can exhaust might hurt sales amongst the import tuner ricky rice racers.
What will Bub Rub and L'il Sis do?
__________________
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you!"
Johndicezx9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #70
Jalopyshoppe
idiot
 
Jalopyshoppe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: DIFFERENT PLACES
Motorcycles: FXR thing, Buell Ulysses, Honda CRF250 Rally, Hawk GT's , and various others.
Name: Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
diesel all the way baby.

i will gladly sit in my 3/4 ton truck all comfy and safe, and a room with a view.

try getting plowed into in you little toy battery powered cage, by a fool doing 90mph +.

sure a 4X4 gets only 19 mpg avg. but has a range of over 450 miles to a factory tank. open rd even better.
extended tank? my bladder would burst first.
refuel stop to back on the hwy in 5 min or less.
and i can haul everything and then some needed in life. plenty of room for 4-5 dogs (large ones). and sits six in comfort. aka: elbow, knee room.
then there's the bed.

all factory, no chip, no stupid over sized exhaust tip. and no smoke coming out the tail pipe.
.

.
I used a flash tuner for both my trucks. Both 4x4 sticks, but the 97 is the old body style which lacks an intercooler.
Deleting the cat, flashing the ECU, and going 3" downpipe, 4" mandrel bent saw a significant (300-400 degree) drop in EGT's and an increase from 19 to 22 mpg empty.

The 99 has 4" turbo back mandrel bent exhaust, a desert storm intake, and a flash tune. No EGT gauge, but mileage went from 17 to 20mpg empty.

Both trucks tow 10,000lbs frequently, and the tunes increased economy by 2 mpg while towing and made it comfortable to tow at 75 mph.

Neither truck "rolls coal", but the mods really made them better tools. I paid less for both combined than the price of one Model 3. I wanna see how many Model 3's are around in 10 years, and compare that to how many miles my trucks covered.
Jalopyshoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #71
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...
 
Johndicezx9's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Monterey Pen
Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
I wanna see a tesla 3 tow 10,000lbs....

If you want to make a cherry pie, don't buy apple pie filling.
__________________
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you!"
Johndicezx9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #72
MikeL
Veteran
 
MikeL's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Carlos
Motorcycles: 2019 Indian FTR1200, 2018 Zero FXS
Name: Mike
I put in a deposit before the reveal last night (online). I wanted to get my reserve in so I can hopefully still get the federal tax rebate. They are up to 232k orders as of 3 hours ago according to Elon.

For those who don't know, the federal tax rebate runs out ($7,500) after a manufacturer sells 200k vehicles that qualify inside the U.S. After that, for 6 months the feds will give you $3,750 tax rebate at no limit for production. for 6months after that they will do $1,500 tax rebate at no limit to phase it out completely.

I'm not positive if the 200k is "produced" vehicles or "sold" vehicles. I'll have to figure that out.

Reservations do include MANY foreign countries but I have a feeling a lot of people are gonna drop out of reservations because once the final purchase agreement comes people will think twice about dropping $35,000. Elon is saying with an average mix of options it will be around $42,000.

Most of this via his Twitter.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #73
Jalopyshoppe
idiot
 
Jalopyshoppe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: DIFFERENT PLACES
Motorcycles: FXR thing, Buell Ulysses, Honda CRF250 Rally, Hawk GT's , and various others.
Name: Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
completely disagree. with regard to tesla, much is aspirational, and they are selling something that does not currently exist. they have yet to make a profit, and this smacks of a bizarre unconventional financing scheme. they raised $200,000,000 on this exploit alone. whereas like/agree with them or not, apple does not rely on such bizarre funding tactics. they make it or not based on their own effort and internal funding of same.
People will stand in line for whatever trinket Apple offers, because it's Apple. Tesla has a similar following of people who will buy this thing sight unseen because they believe in some idea.
Apple sells mediocre smartphones and tablets with elegant designs and trademark shapes that are easily identifiable. Instant casual status symbols. Tesla does the same thing with electric cars. No one gives a fuck about your nameless useful Android, but flashing an iPhone 1100 makes you part of a group of "non conformists" who threw caution to the wind and adopted a non-establishment computer/phone/electronic toy. Once you get hooked in, you're fucked. Apple phones require Apple computers to perform properly. They don't integrate seamlessly with PC based systems. They can do it, but you lose some performance. Tesla is doing the same thing with chargers and service now. They're creating an alternative operating system. It gives buyers an exclusive non conformist mentality that makes owning a mediocre product that costs a premium seem perfectly okay.
No thanks
Jalopyshoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #74
Holeshot
Super Moderator
 
Holeshot's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Walnut Creek
Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by teg916 View Post
The question is, how long does the battery last, and how much does it cost to replace.

If you have to replace the battery after 100K miles, then your batteries cost you 10 cents per mile.

A gasoline powered car that gets 40 MPG will cost you 10 cents per mile if gas is $4 per gallon.



Also, if you want to drive down to LA, how long will the line at the charging station half way there be if it takes 30 mins per car to recharge?
Hybrids, by Ca law, have a 10 year, 150K mile warranty on all components of the hybrid system. Full electrics do not. Sorry Tesla/ Bolt onwers...I'll take my 150K mile warranty any day and burn a little gas. Fred too.
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #75
UDRider
FLCL?
 
UDRider's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: .
Motorcycles: The lulz machine.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teg916 View Post
The question is, how long does the battery last, and how much does it cost to replace.

If you have to replace the battery after 100K miles, then your batteries cost you 10 cents per mile.

A gasoline powered car that gets 40 MPG will cost you 10 cents per mile if gas is $4 per gallon.



Also, if you want to drive down to LA, how long will the line at the charging station half way there be if it takes 30 mins per car to recharge?
There is also more costs to maintaining ICE car, lets not forget that. Not to mention how many cars actually get 40mpgs?

Good point on charging time. Fast chargers are either need to be pretty much at every parking spot, or how charging works needs to be re-thought drastically. Host swapping battery packs with cost of depreciation factored in somehow?
__________________
Going fast on a motorcycle is easy, making turns is the tricky part.
EFF fighting for our rights to post stupid shit on on internet.

FFRF fighting for our rights not to live under religious government, and Christian nationalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
no. nothing against strippers. just have never completely trusted anyone in sales and marketing.
UDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.