BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioVI View Post
So where are the pics man?!?!?
Predates the explosion of digital cameras, at least to the point I could afford one (yes, spending a bunch of money on a glorified tractor was way more important than a stupid camera)

I'm looking
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #47
Charles R
Veteran

Motorcycles: '08 Concours 14; 120,000miles and counting...
Name:
Like anything new Byke, first just try it with whatever you got. Only experience really helps you define what you really need for YOUR enjoyment. For summertime fire trails/forestry roads, i wouldn't even worry about having all terrain tires. I've seen normal stock passenger sedans much farther out than you'd expect. Just like anything vehicle performance related, 90% of the capability is actually only the operator knowing where to aim the truck/racecar/moto.

www.charlespixels.com
Charles R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #48
Cycle61
What the shit is this...

Contributographer

Motorcycles: yes
Name:
Yep. We took our Outback across some creeks and river bars last summer that I figured were definitely 4wd only, and as we went to set up camp a dude rolls up in an Acura TL.

Washington sucks and it rains all the time.

If I didn't hurt your feelings, then I retract my apology. - bruceflinch
Cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #49
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Like anything new Byke, first just try it with whatever you got. Only experience really helps you define what you really need for YOUR enjoyment. For summertime fire trails/forestry roads, i wouldn't even worry about having all terrain tires. I've seen normal stock passenger sedans much farther out than you'd expect. Just like anything vehicle performance related, 90% of the capability is actually only the operator knowing where to aim the truck/racecar/moto.
yep

youtu.be/sYIJpzo2RVY
lots more videos of that guy tooling around moab
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Old 05-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #50
Map8
I want nothing

BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR, CRF230/sm
Name: Steve
Dogs were not impressed.

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service
Map8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #51
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Name:
i thought it was a pretty good 3 point turn
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Old 05-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #52
RRR70
Attack Helicopter

AMA #: 1019218
Friendly Ukrainian Gun Dealer
BARFIE winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ! +++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++BB

Motorcycles: 2005 FXSTI
Name:
Alan, I was just about to hit you up for some overnight trips, then life got in a way.

Last edited by RRR70; 05-23-2018 at 02:24 PM..
RRR70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #53
CABilly
Splitter

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: R5 350
Name: Billy
My Tahoe is probably more capable than I am skilled, but that doesn't mean I don't want either an E350 Sportsmobile or similarly decked out Excursion.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #54
OldMadBrit
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2017 R1M
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
This!

We have been exploring the great off-roads for a few years. First we used our Honda Odyssey packed with toys and camping gear. We rolled into campgrounds and surprised more than a few hard core off-roaders.

Now we use my wife's Audi Q5 TDI which turned out to be far more capable than I'd ever would have thought.

We are currently planning to build a camper/toy hauler out of a SWB Sprinter 4x4.

Words of wisdom just before my first trip in a 4 man bobsled

"Ding dong the witch is dead"
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #55
ScorpioVI
كافر ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

AMA #: 1076930
Founding Member
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: KTM 990 ADV
Name: Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR70 View Post
Alan, I was just about to hit you up for some overnight trips, then life got in a way.

Sorry buddy. Would've been fun bullshitting around the campfire with you. Or maybe rent a Tacoma from https://www.pacificoverlander.com/ and join us for a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
I'd really like to get into this someday, probably go for a 'burb/tahoe/expy type vehicle so I can sleep in the back. I think the important thing is to not get hung up on some ultimate build and just take whatever you've got and get out there. Need to swap the air suspension on the expedition and slap some tires on it and go have some fun..

Yea that's the idea man. Just get out there and figure it out as you go.

Here's my buddy's Expedition, plenty of room in the back to sleep in:

My Ride Reports:
Solo On The Carrizo
¿Por que Baja?
A Little Taste of the Alps

Martin Dykier a.k.a. "fifthrival", 9/9/75 - 1/25/03
William James Lockwood a.k.a. "B12Bill/RydTher", 8/13/67 - 4/21/08

"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Vlad Taltos (Jhereg) x

Last edited by ScorpioVI; 05-23-2018 at 04:56 PM..
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #56
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

AMA #: 489282
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
D36 - #103Y

Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 2 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle61 View Post
Yep. We took our Outback across some creeks and river bars last summer that I figured were definitely 4wd only, and as we went to set up camp a dude rolls up in an Acura TL.

We rolled out to the Carson River one day in my Rubicon, and sat there looking at it trying to decide if we wanted to cross it. As we were discussing the pro's and con's of sending my not-yet-paid-off Jeep down the river, a minivan appeared out of nowhere on the far bank and came trundling through with no hesitation. This van was a piece of work...dented, trim hanging off, only one headlight...but he was out there doing it! We laughed and crossed with no issue whatsoever.

On a related note, we rode up the OHV trail to the top of Bald Mountain in the Sierra National Forest a few years back. When we got to the top there were some Jeepers hootin' and hollerin' and clapping each other on the back, all happy that they'd made it to the top. The looks on their faces were pretty funny when I pulled up on my SV650 Just another example of going out and having fun even of you don't have the latest greatest equipment That was probably the most fun I've ever had on that SV in the 13 years I've owned it!

WoodsChick

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
WoodsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #57
littlebeast
get it while it's easy

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle61 View Post
reminds me of an old trans am we had. thing was a tank. it was low and wide, but it had enough grunt to power through pretty much anything. and we didn’t give two shits about body damage, so it was used and abused off road. loved - as you say, to arrive in remote locations and getting WTF stares from 4 wheelers. our insurance company HATED us. worst event was stuffing it (at a bit more than appropriate speed) between 2 trees that were about 18 inches narrower than the car. squirted through, but the damage was done nose to tail. came within $200 of totalling it. they covered it, but then suggested we go find another insurance company lol.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #58
Jalopyshoppe
idiot

Motorcycles: FXR thing, Buell Ulysses, Honda CRF250 Rally, Hawk GT's , and various others.
Name: Fish
My newly acquired Land Rover Series 2a has sparked my interest in such activities. The Ultra4 racing I do is fun, but some slower speed wheeling is becoming more appealing lately.
I've noticed a few BMW GS owners with modern Tacomas and the like who are all lights and no lockers, but the idea has potential.
Jalopyshoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #59
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

D36 - #103Y

Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 2 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
I'd been wanting a Jeep for years, and 2014 saw my dream come true. The first brand new car I've ever owned, other than our camper van. This was the day I picked it up at the dealership. 2 days later I was scratching it up at Stonyford

The joke in our house is "It's a car, Tami. It's not a hobby."
Funny thing, though...after I signed us up for an off-road driving class ("It's a safety issue, hon. We don't want to get stuck somewhere, do we?") Eric decided it might be a good idea to get some on-board air. And it just kind of went on from there. I totally dig having the Jeep. It's just one more tool, one more way for me to do what I really enjoy...getting myself to out-of-the-way places and exploring. It was awesome to spend 2 weeks in Mojave National Preserve when Eric was busted up after a get-off, and we spent about a week exploring the eastern Sierra when my ankle was broken. Can't do that on a bike. It's like having a big comfy dualsport in the driveway! I don't know how I managed to live without one for so long, and I am certain i will never be without one again.

East of Austin, NV...

East of Topaz Lake...

Stirling City...

I wanted the gray Anvil paint but I'm so glad I went with the Amped gold. It's beautiful in the sun...

Mojave Road...

Camping on a granite dome in Sierra National Forest...

Cool thread! Enjoying all the photos!

WoodsChick

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #60
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

D36 - #103Y

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioVI View Post

I think that's the best looking Toyota on the road! Love the paint.

And, yeah, it's been all about the bikes for the last 30+ years, and I'm not ready to give them up just yet, but I could totally see myself being happy in my later years tooling around the deserts and forests in my Jeep. It's definitely a lot easier on my oft-broken body.

WC

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017