BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Notices

Old 09-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #301
msethhunter
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '98 VTR1000F, she's a fatty! '89 YSR 50 with a 150, she said "it's so cute!"
Name: Mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
I guess it doesn't hurt that I have absolutely zero fear of heights.
Meanwhile...I'm terrified of heights. When I was a flight instructor, I worked at this place at SZP called CP Aviation, and our bread and butter was an EMT course (Emergency Maneuvers Training). I've never been bothered by heights in an airplane, but being on a ladder, or at the edge of something scares the shit out of me.

I used to fly Japanese tourists from Van Nuys or Hawthorne out to The Grand Canyon so they could do a bus tour. I was talked in to going with them once. When I went out on that glass walkway, I was fine.....until I looked down!. I crawled off the thing on my hands and knees, in uniform. All my passengers were laughing at me. But you could see the lightbulb going off in their heads...

"Wait... that's our pilot. THAT'S OUR PILOT! HE'S AFRAID OF HEIGHTS!!!!"

Mika, their tour guide, never asked me to go again.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #302
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
People rationalize to live with themselves, some are more disingenuous than others.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #303
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
I'm the same way. I've flown in all types of aircraft, helicopters, hot air balloons, jumped out of aircraft. I can't stand on the edge of my roof to clean the gutters on my single story ranch.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #304
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by msethhunter View Post
Meanwhile...I'm terrified of heights. When I was a flight instructor, I worked at this place at SZP called CP Aviation, and our bread and butter was an EMT course (Emergency Maneuvers Training). I've never been bothered by heights in an airplane, but being on a ladder, or at the edge of something scares the shit out of me.

I used to fly Japanese tourists from Van Nuys or Hawthorne out to The Grand Canyon so they could do a bus tour. I was talked in to going with them once. When I went out on that glass walkway, I was fine.....until I looked down!. I crawled off the thing on my hands and knees, in uniform. All my passengers were laughing at me. But you could see the lightbulb going off in their heads...

"Wait... that's our pilot. THAT'S OUR PILOT! HE'S AFRAID OF HEIGHTS!!!!"

Mika, their tour guide, never asked me to go again.
I had a friend who was terrified of heights and even when flying. She’d have to sedate herself to get on an airplane.
I like roller coasters and could not even drag or bribe her onto one. Pissed me off once when we went to six flags and she wouldn’t get on any rides.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #305
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by msethhunter View Post
Yes, they have a branch of the FAA that gets allocated a sizeable budget that studies exactly what you're referencing. It's called Human Factors.
What is the output of Human Factors? Does it weed out people who might not be able to perform under pressure or does it provide a way to condition people do be able to cope?

The tough thing about any simulation is being able to genuinely recreate the emotions and adrenaline dump associated with being truly afraid you're going to die.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #306
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
The tough thing about any simulation is being able to genuinely recreate the emotions and adrenaline dump associated with being truly afraid you're going to die.
Mikey can confirm, but every accident report I've read has evidence(s) the pilot(s) continued to fly the aircraft / solve problems (or attempt to) right to the moment of impact. Only Cirrus pilots panic and pull the chute. A simulator is to drill process which should lessen fear. Then again, I don't know many (if any) pilots that are afraid if dying when commanding their aircraft.

Fun fact: the Crash Analysis Forum idea came from AOPA's accident report column in their member magazine. The accident analysis of aircraft accidents is excellent as a learning tool.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:18 PM   #307
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Mikey can confirm, but every accident report I've read has evidence(s) the pilot(s) continued to fly the aircraft / solve problems (or attempt to) right to the moment of impact. Only Cirrus pilots panic and pull the chute. A simulator is to drill process which should lessen fear. Then again, I don't know many (if any) pilots that are afraid if dying when commanding their aircraft.
I'm a believer in simulating stress in training and do think it makes a difference. In training self defense scenarios, we have quite a few knife attack defenses, which in a sense is a fool's errand, but they can increase one's chance of survival at least.

A lot of people will become proficient with the defenses, being able to execute violently and efficiently from "total" surprise in a class setting. I place "total" in quotes because the student knows they're going to be attacked at some point, they just don't know when. They also know it'll be a rubber knife.

Sometimes the students are wearing white t-shirts and the rubber knives are coated with red lipstick so you can see if they got "cut." We wear them out, have them fight other people and then randomly rush in with a knife attack. Maybe the lights are down and music is blasting to create disorientation. The student responds like Jason Bourne, countering the attack and disarming the attacker, without ever being touched by the blade themselves.

One evening, unbeknownst to the class, I brought a shock knife. This was a plastic knife with electrodes around the edge. It crackled and sparked and would give you a shock that's about 1/6th of a taser shot. It felt convincingly like you were getting cut.

The most proficient student in class had just disarmed an attacker, when I yelled his name and came after him with the shock knife, sparks, crackling and all. His lost his shit and went home after class smelling like burnt hair.

Had it been a real knife attack, the coroner would have found defensive wounds, indicating the guy fought to the bitter end. Nevertheless his defenses were ineffectual, his coordination having gone out the window. BTW, these defenses use gross motor movements; they don't rely on fine motor control. Still, he couldn't make it work.

Subsequent people that night did better, even if they were typically at a lower skill level. By that time, they knew what this thing was and what it would or wouldn't do to them. They didn't have the same fear of injury or the unknown that the first guy had.

Repeated drills with this equipment made them better, rising to the same level of proficiency as with the rubber knife covered in lipstick. I do think they are potentially better off now if attacked with a live blade, but at least some would probably not perform as effectively, as this would be a new level of peril, with more dire consequences.

Drilling under stress expends people's envelope. However, I've had quite a few other experiences that make me realize, to Climber's point, that a lot of the time we don't really know how we'd respond until the real deal happens.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:38 AM   #308
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Here’s an example of what training does you (fly the aircraft!):

Marine C-130 and F-35 collide, 35 pilot ejects, 130 crew gets the unflyable 130 on the ground.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-with-an-f-35b

Audio of the first minute after the midair:
https://forums.liveatc.net/index.php...0;attach=10767

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #309
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
Quote:
I'm a believer in simulating stress in training and do think it makes a difference. In training self defense scenarios, we have quite a few knife attack defenses, which in a sense is a fool's errand, but they can increase one's chance of survival at least.

A lot of people will become proficient with the defenses, being able to execute violently and efficiently from "total" surprise in a class setting. I place "total" in quotes because the student knows they're going to be attacked at some point, they just don't know when. They also know it'll be a rubber knife.

Sometimes the students are wearing white t-shirts and the rubber knives are coated with red lipstick so you can see if they got "cut." We wear them out, have them fight other people and then randomly rush in with a knife attack. Maybe the lights are down and music is blasting to create disorientation. The student responds like Jason Bourne, countering the attack and disarming the attacker, without ever being touched by the blade themselves.

One evening, unbeknownst to the class, I brought a shock knife. This was a plastic knife with electrodes around the edge. It crackled and sparked and would give you a shock that's about 1/6th of a taser shot. It felt convincingly like you were getting cut.

The most proficient student in class had just disarmed an attacker, when I yelled his name and came after him with the shock knife, sparks, crackling and all. His lost his shit and went home after class smelling like burnt hair.

Had it been a real knife attack, the coroner would have found defensive wounds, indicating the guy fought to the bitter end. Nevertheless his defenses were ineffectual, his coordination having gone out the window. BTW, these defenses use gross motor movements; they don't rely on fine motor control. Still, he couldn't make it work.

Subsequent people that night did better, even if they were typically at a lower skill level. By that time, they knew what this thing was and what it would or wouldn't do to them. They didn't have the same fear of injury or the unknown that the first guy had.

Repeated drills with this equipment made them better, rising to the same level of proficiency as with the rubber knife covered in lipstick. I do think they are potentially better off now if attacked with a live blade, but at least some would probably not perform as effectively, as this would be a new level of peril, with more dire consequences.

Drilling under stress expends people's envelope. However, I've had quite a few other experiences that make me realize, to Climber's point, that a lot of the time we don't really know how we'd respond until the real deal happens.
FAA needs a Kobayashi Maru
Abacinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #310
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
Here’s an example of what training does you (fly the aircraft!):

Marine C-130 and F-35 collide, 35 pilot ejects, 130 crew gets the unflyable 130 on the ground.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-with-an-f-35b

Audio of the first minute after the midair:
https://forums.liveatc.net/index.php...0;attach=10767
Good stuff T!
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Old 10-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #311
msethhunter
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '98 VTR1000F, she's a fatty! '89 YSR 50 with a 150, she said "it's so cute!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post

Fun fact: the Crash Analysis Forum idea came from AOPA's accident report column in their member magazine. The accident analysis of aircraft accidents is excellent as a learning tool.
Fly it in, don't crash it in. And I've got a few hundred hours in Cirrus. They're pretty okay to fly. Really noisy inside, and a lot of vibration gets transferred into the cabin. They became big because of the chute.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #312
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
You can get into a pretty big debate about the Cirrus chute. I look at as another safety tool. There are parameters to using it and it's not a get out of jail card. You must have flown so ratty old Cirrus. We are a Cirrus service center and I disagree about the noisy vibration statement.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #313
msethhunter
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
What is the output of Human Factors? Does it weed out people who might not be able to perform under pressure or does it provide a way to condition people do be able to cope?

Human Factors isn't something they do to people, it's something they study about people and change training and methodology to better suit the results of the study.

The weeding out usually happens at the private pilot level of training believe it or not. That training can be pretty stressful. If it doesn't happen then, you've got another 1500 hours of experience to gain and weed out those kinds of guys here in the US for the resignation mentality to manifest itself.

We have PRIA paperwork that follows us our entire career, that shows training failures, checkride failures, etc., that employers are required to check before they hire you.

If you've made it to the level of sitting shotgun in an airline, you've mostly proven you won't give up when the shit hits the fan. Whether you'll make the right decision or not is why they put two guys up front....something to consider when they start talking about single pilot airliners in the future, or worse, fully automated airplanes. There's two of us up front not because the airplane is so complex. The flying part is stupid simple. It's to cross check each other to prevent errors. One error you'll probably get away with unscathed. A series of errors is what leads us to an accident.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #314
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer

Great stuff Mikey!

AFM #6 2020
Old 10-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #315
msethhunter
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
You can get into a pretty big debate about the Cirrus chute. I look at as another safety tool. There are parameters to using it and it's not a get out of jail card. You must have flown so ratty old Cirrus. We are a Cirrus service center and I disagree about the noisy vibration statement.
I flew everything from ratty old Cirrus to going out to Duluth to pick up a brand spanking new SR22T. I was a CSIP. I also managed a 3 SR22T's for a group of orthopedic surgeons for about a year. They flew all over the West. Crossing the Rockies in the dark, the chute was a very welcome addition. Thankfully I only had to do that a handful of times.

The carbon tub just seems to transfer a lot more noise and vibration than most of the other nice piston singles I've flown, and the seats are really thin. Plus, if you kneel into the seat, it crushes the material designed to help you back when it lands under the chute. I'd love to own me either an A36 or an M35 or newer V-tail. Some of the most comfortable SE pistons I've ever been in.

I think the chute is a great thing BTW. Cirrus motto was (I've been away from the SE game for a while) pull early and pull often. Chances are, on an off airport landing, the insurance company is going to be buying the airplane either way. The chute isn't a guarantee, but it's a safer option more times than it isn't.