BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Notices

Old 03-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #61
msethhunter
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '98 VTR1000F, she's a fatty! '89 YSR 50 with a 150, she said "it's so cute!"
Name: Mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
If I ran a large airline, and had pilots (cops) who had more tendency to shoot themselves in the foot, I'd simply buy a Beretta or other weapon with an external safety, thus eliminating the problem, which could also be solved by proper training, but is real.
And that's the crux of the issue here. They don't have training that is designed to handle these kinds of things. Airplanes sometimes do dumb shit. I've had a stick pusher go off with no warning, for no apparent reason. 80lbs of force trying to rip the controls out of your hands, to prevent a stall, very similar to what happened here. Hold on tight, push the right buttons to momentarily interrupt it, and run the QRH to turn it off. You'll lose stall protection at that point, but that's a minor issue compared to having the stick pusher try and nose the thing over.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #62
msethhunter
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '98 VTR1000F, she's a fatty! '89 YSR 50 with a 150, she said "it's so cute!"
Name: Mikey
Quote:
I agree with you. See my Glock analogy. If cops keep shooting themselves in the leg, it's cheaper to buy a Beretta.
Except in this case, the Beretta is still missing the safety. The airplane I fly now (I refuse to fly the 737, it's cockpit sucks), has the same system, called by a different name.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #63
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by msethhunter View Post
Except in this case, the Beretta is still missing the safety. The airplane I fly now (I refuse to fly the 737, it's cockpit sucks), has the same system, called by a different name.
No, the Beretta might be an Airbus. If you have a Glock, it's a Glock.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #64
AbsolutEnduser
Throttle Pusher

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
Quote:
Nope, that's not what I said. But please, tell me about your flying experience...

Nice to see that your animosity from the PS carries over to every other part of this place.
My flying experience doesn't matter, because I didn't say I have any. I am only getting information, so your claim about 'the PS', is BS. Nice to see you have some animosity, since I don't recall talking that much with you. But in reality afm199 is saying a similar thing to me "it doesn't matter", but you choose to respond in BS flying way to me.

Let me explain the Pilots post, which I posted a bit too quickly.
It has been said, that this plane 'doesn't need training' by Boeing, already long ago, two years ago, and in the last days' articles.

Yet you however have above said in a post "the thing is, it does need training" , but in other posts say "because [we/other pilots] are more capable, we can fly it no problem".

You cannot see the forest for the trees: just because you claim you can fly "the damn jet" even in the face of a software "error"(*), doesn't mean it's safe for everyone exactly because it was claimed, that there's no training needed.

That's what "weird" part meant: directed towards Boeing--there is a discrepancy between what Boeing had previously said about that model, and, reality?

Should have been grounded after Lion' Air... or even retrained before..

* - .. 2 "errors" of an otherwise operational jet (???? )

Last edited by AbsolutEnduser; 03-13-2019 at 12:10 PM..
AbsolutEnduser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #65
Mike95060
Work In Progress

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 Ducati ST4S
Name: Mike
Thanks for your input Mikey. Can we be nice guys? People are dead, no one wanted that. If it turns out Boing Management was negligent with a defect, they should be punished. If it turns the crashes were the result of a series of failures that no one could predict or train for, fix it. Honor the loss of life by making things safer. Be it by engineering better systems or training pilots in a more effective way. Risk in live will never be zero. But we should keep working to make it as close to that as possible.

We all lead by example, even when we don't think we are...
-Grosso
Mike95060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #66
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
Quote:
No, the Beretta might be an Airbus. If you have a Glock, it's a Glock.
Because Airbus jets have never flown into the tree line trying to take off?

The Glock vs Beretta analogy fails because the Glock has a safety feature.

The Glock like most handguns has two safety features, the one the manufacturer designed in and the one between the ears of the operator. The safety feature built into the person can always defeat the best safety feature designed into a gun.

The comparison to jets also doesn't work. The handgun can be left in the holster and it will not do anything on it's own. The handgun, even taken out and held will do nothing. It can't do anything until the person does something. The jet, once it engines are started will can do things all by itself without the flight crew doing anything. It can spontaneously catch fire, it can explode, it can refuse to accept inputs etc', or; it can do what it's supposed to to and everyone gets to point B just fine.

Maybe we've lost a generation of pilots somewhere and instead reaped the rewards of purchased entrances to schools and the idea that an app can do anything. Someone in another thread said Hipsters don't code. Given the recent events, can we really say that is true?
Old 03-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #67
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
trump just grounded all 737 max

i wonder why trump would do this and not some top faa personnel

also this thread should help give support to the other one in general

whats more dangerous airplanes or motos?

I responded statistically we have found every moto/rider remains, where airplanes have literally disappeared, how can they say airplanes are safer then motos when you got missing bodies/planes is mesmerizing.

Last edited by FXCLM5; 03-13-2019 at 01:10 PM..
FXCLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #68
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post

also this thread should help give support to the other one in general

whats more dangerous airplanes or motos?

I responded statistically we have found every moto/rider remains, where airplanes have literally disappeared, how can they say airplanes are safer then motos when you got missing bodies/planes is mesmerizing.
I'm sure there are motorcycles/motorcyclists who have crashed in remote areas and never been found
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #69
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
There is a big but here.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #70
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
A first in aviation history. A whole fleet of aircraft grounded due to media frenzy.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #71
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
A first in aviation history. A whole fleet of aircraft grounded due to an average fatality rate of 1 per 137 flights..
Fixed that for you.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #72
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
Quote:
A first in aviation history. A whole fleet of aircraft grounded due to media frenzy.
A sign of the times.

If it turns out that in both crashes it was pilot error, then what? The finger pointing to just who is going to absorb the financial losses will be furious. Does social/news media become the new decider of how these things are handled?
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #73
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
A sign of the times.

If it turns out that in both crashes it was pilot error, then what? The finger pointing to just who is going to absorb the financial losses will be furious. Does social/news media become the new decider of how these things are handled?
Well the media didn't ground the planes nor were the media flying them so pinning it on the media is not likely to stand up in court.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #74
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:

With that said, sometimes you just have to turn it all off and fly the damn jet. The most basic modes (stick and rudder) will provide the quickest way out. There's a reason that when we do escape maneuvers (windshear/wake turbulence/EGPWS), WE take control, and turn it all off. There's been more than a few times where I've had to do exactly that. "Why's it doing that?" *click click....click click*" and you fly the damn jet. "Sorry Betty, I don't know why you're doing that, and I don't like it, so I'm going to do it instead." Has automation improved safety? I don't think you can make an argument that it hasn't. The flip side of that coin is what to do when the automation isn't doing what you expected it to.

A lot of different aircraft, especially those with wing mounted engines have some sort of thrust compensation built into their software. This isn't new technology, but it is something different that hasn't been on previous generations of 737, and the rote memorization isn't going to transfer well on something like that.

Turn the shit off, and fly the damn jet.
I want you as my pilot Mikey. "Fly the damn airplane". The above is what defines you as a legit stickman....great post. Legit.

I talked to my good friend who's high up in one of the majors (you know who, I think) and his perspective was enlightening. I asked "can't they just turn the system off for each flight"...to which he said "yeah, but it's too late now". HIs thought was what the industry was speculating: faulty sensor or software with the sensor where the aircraft is giving away climb rate due to an AOA issue, etc. I suspect Boeing knows something about it.

Question: was this system designed for less experienced pilots as a safety measure in itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post

Because the FAA is notoriously slow and toothless when it counts.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #75
mrzuzzo
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:
I thought it was grounded due to 2 planes crashing and killing all on board?

What other brand new model aircraft has this happened with?
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote