Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Notices

Old 04-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #31
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
I almost resembled that chart but didn't have the balls to go all in back in January. I was taking my time trying to pick an entry point then the ass gor ripped out of it.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #32
asdfghwy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Fast one
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Yeah, it's hard to time, basically impossible. Nothing wrong with investing over a period of time rather than all at once, and it gives you the opportunity to really look at your choices.

I haven't been fully invested in stocks and bonds ever. Never will be.
dollar cost averaging is a very nice thing. although it does help to have cash to dump in here and there on the dips or big loss days
asdfghwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #33
two wheel tramp
exploring!

AMA #2771957
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 3% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: '03 DR650, 09 DR650 w/ RMZ450 front end, 2009 FZ1, 2019 KTM 790 ADV S
Name: Triple R
Quote:
I've been watching houses in Eureka for several months. The trend seems to be asking prices dropping. Couple of nice properties there I am interested in.
oooh! Can I visit you and whichever dogs may live with you en route to my Mom's house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Older-wiser people have told me the same. Put the money in as soon as you can invest and don't look at it until you retire.

I'll wait till next week to get back in with the chunk I sold, maybe pick a few suggestions from this thread.

I put in a set amount every paycheck. I am will continue to do so and won't mess with it until retirement time unless someone smarter than me says "Do x, y, and z with your money". I had a discussion with my retirement planner in January and we talked about what I would do if the market crashed. I told him "leave it alone" and that's what I plan to do.
i don't get lost. i explore alternative destinations.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:29 PM   #34
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Jesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
I almost resembled that chart but didn't have the balls to go all in back in January. I was taking my time trying to pick an entry point then the ass gor ripped out of it.
Me too, came damn close. Maxed out two years worth of hsa's over the past 6 months and an ira. Kinda stings, but factor in the tax savings and I'm not really out anything. Planned on dumping a bit more in but now I'm scared to do anything.

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:49 PM   #35
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Trick now is to correctly guess which stocks will benefit from an additions $2T+ dollars being sprinkled about. Will be like a tide rushing in, well maybe a neap tide.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:49 AM   #36
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

AMA #: 2865228
Contributor +++++++++ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
Awrite, who's going to start the "what are you going to do with your stimulus check" thread +a poll?

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #37
SpeedyCorky
rides minibikes;U should2

Contributor +++++2%

Motorcycles: are clearly addicting; so you see - it's really not my fault...
Name: key-tay
wow look at WTI stock... offshore gas company in the USA. pretty risky i'd say; but damn they are down almost 50%ish from the crash and still havent recovered hardly at all, while most every other oil related stock *kinda* has. time to buy was yesteday afternoon at $2/share (fuck, missed out was playing video games ), but they still look undervalued at their current 2.32$/share. granted it was at low $2/share for most of 2016 to 2018...buttt they were also at ~$30/share the years before the 08 crash, and up to fuckin $60 before the 08 crashed killed 'em. too bad winter isnt coming or they'd be an even better bet. oil stocks still kinda scary me tho, they will go lower if we have another crash, tho gawd damn hard to imagine them going thaat much lower

i also just discovered YUM CHINA , same as regular YUM, but for the Chinese market. I see them doing better than regular YUM. almost for sure gonna sell my YUM on monday and swing it on over to YUM CHINA. i consider that a non-risky part of my portfolio

MTCH might also be a good buy with this whole shelter in place BS. i bought some late may at around $50, made some $, sold. wish i hadnt... tho missed out on losses hurt a lot less than actual losses

Gary J Cygnus Lloyd CulverDan

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 04-10-2020 at 08:01 AM..
SpeedyCorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #38
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
I'd be buying USO today is the market were open. Mexico will agree and everyone will cut production and it'll rocket 50% in a week.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #39
jt2
Eschew Obfuscation

AMA #: 777139
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: R1200GS
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Put the money in as soon as you can invest and don't look at it until you retire.
This is not bad advice. If you don't want to bother managing your investments, the best thing you can do is start buying an S&P500 ETF like SPY (or a low cost fund that tracks it if you have limited options as is frequently the case in 401(k) programs). Set it to auto-reinvest dividends and yeah, pretty much forget about it other than ratcheting up your contributions over time as your income grows.

The S&P500 beats most actively managed funds and "financial advisors" net of fees in most cases.

When you get within a few years of retirement a gradual shift towards a percentage in bonds isn't a bad idea. Not something I'm doing, in all honesty, but the models do support that strategy as giving you a hedge.
------------------------------------------------------------
"Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that's consistent with those beliefs."
- Mike Rowe
jt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #40
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
I'd be buying USO today is the market were open. Mexico will agree and everyone will cut production and it'll rocket 50% in a week.
I quit betting on Oil volatility years ago, when I got burned to the tune of $100k basically overnight. The only thing you can count on with oil is volatility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2 View Post
This is not bad advice. If you don't want to bother managing your investments, the best thing you can do is start buying an S&P500 ETF like SPY (or a low cost fund that tracks it if you have limited options as is frequently the case in 401(k) programs). Set it to auto-reinvest dividends and yeah, pretty much forget about it other than ratcheting up your contributions over time as your income grows.

The S&P500 beats most actively managed funds and "financial advisors" net of fees in most cases.

When you get within a few years of retirement a gradual shift towards a percentage in bonds isn't a bad idea. Not something I'm doing, in all honesty, but the models do support that strategy as giving you a hedge.
This. 100% this. Warren Buffet recommends VOO, but they are similar.

Last edited by afm199; 04-10-2020 at 08:22 AM..
afm199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #41
jt2
Eschew Obfuscation

AMA #: 777139
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: R1200GS
Name: Jeff
That's the difference between investing and gambling.
------------------------------------------------------------
"Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that's consistent with those beliefs."
- Mike Rowe
jt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #42
SpeedyCorky

Contributor +++++2%

what do ya all think of pg&e ?

i bought some at $10 a few weeks ago, it went to 9 i got scared and bailed, then it went to 8 and i patted myself on the back. now its at $12

I really think they arnt going outta buisness, and they are super undervalued if you look at their long term.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #43
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2 View Post
That's the difference between investing and gambling.
My best investment story/regret is that I owned McDonald's at $14 and Apple at $25, and I sold them. Made money, lol.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #44
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
what do ya all think of pg&e ?

i bought some at $10 a few weeks ago, it went to 9 i got scared and bailed, then it went to 8 and i patted myself on the back. now its at $12

I really think they arnt going outta buisness, and they are super undervalued if you look at their long term.
I think that it's a risky bet, not an investment. They got away with murder for thirty years, and the pendulum swung back.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #45
SpeedyCorky

Contributor +++++2%

Quote:
My best investment story/regret is that I owned McDonald's at $14 and Apple at $25, and I sold them. Made money, lol.
ooooouch.
thats worse than when I told my mom to put the farm on Google back early 2000's when it opened. did she listen then? no. will she listen to me now? no; she still got all her stock $ in the fortune500, which i think is virtual suicide right now. good long term bet sure, but if i was a Fortune500 guy, i'd sell it all now and wait for the *maybe* coming corona drop#2, THEN reinvest and set it and forget it.

yeah pg&e is risky, but like, what they gonna do? go under? they just seem too big to fail in my eyes. but i've known them all my life and never anything different for a gas and power provider, so i'm biased with blinders i'm sure