Old 08-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #16
cheez
Read only user

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Arean View Post
You end up getting the T 50 and the T25 when you deciding to be a coax or various wiring DIYer. I know fro experience. I think I have three myself.

Either that or he likes to staple down his victims two-handed. Nyuk.

But as for Cheez and his tool chest array, we are not worthy. Look at them red dividers!!! And the extra ginormous labels of what they are!!! Oh man. He's not even old and blind like me, I think, yet.

He'll probably get it just perfect the day before the fatal heart attack. Well, that would be my kind of luck anyway. Some lucky guy will be getting full tool chests at dead guys garage sale, when the widow sells them for a pittance....sigh.....I;m givin mine to my son, the mechanical one.
You think I'll get it perfect... thank you for your confidence, that's high praise. It might be what gives me the heart attack...

Don't buy this box wrench organizer. It is shite.

cheez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #17
TylerW
East Coast Mike

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: it has pedals
Name: Look up
Quote:
You end up getting the T 50 and the T25 when you deciding to be a coax or various wiring DIYer. I know fro experience. I think I have three myself.

Either that or he likes to staple down his victims two-handed. Nyuk.

But as for Cheez and his tool chest array, we are not worthy. Look at them red dividers!!! And the extra ginormous labels of what they are!!! Oh man. He's not even old and blind like me, I think, yet.

He'll probably get it just perfect the day before the fatal heart attack. Well, that would be my kind of luck anyway. Some lucky guy will be getting full tool chests at dead guys garage sale, when the widow sells them for a pittance....sigh.....I;m givin mine to my son, the mechanical one.
Staples for wiring. Gross. I mean I guess it's fine for romex but if you want to move data it becomes problematic.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #18
wannabe
"Insignificant Other"

2006 Barfie
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: yes
Name: Aris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerW View Post
Rando shoutout for this digital caliper holder I found on Thingiverse. One of the hangars bumps the off button on my calipers so if I remember to put it back where it belongs in my office, it turns them off to save the battery.

Attachment 536590

Which actually brings up a separate topic - I have two workspaces that have different needs for tool organization: my upstairs office, which is for photo/video/broadcasting gear, as well as my electronics workbench, 3d printing, and vinyl cutter. It's also my home office.

The basement is for the bigger tools - CNC router, laser cutter, table saw, miter saw and drill press.

Kinda off topic, but I miss by analog calipers. Every time I go to use my digital calipers, the batteries are dead. Every. Fucking. Time.

Martin Dykier (1975-2003)
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #19
TylerW
East Coast Mike

Founding Member
Contributor

Some other rando organization stuff I'd set up recently:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200824_174535 (1).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	536601

Get yourself one of those back-of-the-door shoe organizers. Use it to organize all your rando cables. I opted for the slightly more spendy cloth version, which I'm having a tough time figuring out how to label them and having the labels stick.

My usual lazy method of sharpie & gaff tape is not working.

Maybe I'll just go all out and silkscreen some patches and sew those on.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #20
Bay Arean
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bonneville
Name:
Quote:
Staples for wiring. Gross. I mean I guess it's fine for romex but if you want to move data it becomes problematic.
Hey hey. I have a whole toolbox just for CoAx and a big spool of the stuff. Assembled right before ATT came and cut all the outside coax because they moved over to Ethernet. Then I had to run a new Cat-6 or whatever they call it into my basement. They now have made all of my phone lines obsolete and only the Cat stuff works for the phone. Oh and the guy gave a whole box of that Cat whatever. Im sure its obsolete by now. I carefully made a terminal wall fitting for my Ethernet. On this latest visit, when I supposedly was upgraded to fibre optics, he bypassed the plug and ran the cable directly to my modem input. It sits jammed under the edge of the wallplate and looks like hell. I was at work so I couldnt' object.

I even went to Laner to get the exact right kind of coax fittings, the purple ones for the Coax. But when i still had the coax, they still snipped em off and put on their own.. I had made my terminal under the eaves so they'd never get rained on. The asshole cut em off and ran em down to the cellar entrance so he could get to em easier. All my picky work for nothing. I hate the cable/ethernet/fibre optics guy.

Last edited by Bay Arean; 08-24-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Bay Arean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #21
HappyHighwayman
Warning: Do Not Engage

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
The thing is some tools come in nice organized boxes like my motorcycle/automative tools. Some wrenches come in nice organizers. etc

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #22
TylerW
East Coast Mike

Founding Member
Contributor

Maybe its fine for RG-6, I never learned that cable spec. When I was learning network cabling at Santa Rosa Junior College, they had a really nice cable stapler with a perfect U-bend and a die that ensured you never nicked the cable.

They showed it to me and told me to never use it because it was outside of the specifications for cat-5 wiring. Oh well.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #23
Bay Arean
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Maybe its fine for RG-6, I never learned that cable spec. When I was learning network cabling at Santa Rosa Junior College, they had a really nice cable stapler with a perfect U-bend and a die that ensured you never nicked the cable.

They showed it to me and told me to never use it because it was outside of the specifications for cat-5 wiring. Oh well.
I never nicked any cable fwiw.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #24
TylerW
East Coast Mike

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
The thing is some tools come in nice organized boxes like my motorcycle/automative tools. Some wrenches come in nice organizers. etc
I really hate the single tool blow-molded clamshell cases. i toss them out almost immediately.

That said, the clamshell for my ratchet set is about to die, and I still use it. Deciding how I want to deal with that - I might make my own drawer organizer for them. Need to figure out the layout though.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #25
Bay Arean
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
I really hate the single tool blow-molded clamshell case. i toss them out almost immediately.

That said, the clamshell for my ratchet set is about to die, and I still use it. Deciding how I want to deal with that - I might make my own drawer organizer for them. Need to figure out the layout though.
I like how Cheez has the toolbag handy on the bench so the thief can pack it with the good stuff and run off when SOMEBODY ELSE leaves the garage door open. Can I have an Amen here?
Old 08-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #26
Sticka
I am the Stig

AMA #625224

Motorcycles: TL1000R...and a few others to keep it company...
Name: Ian
My tools/workspace are a mess too. I have been looking around for ideas and I found this. I haven't pulled the trigger......yet!

Pretty impressive construction and a lot more affordable than the others.
Click on the link for pricing, options and a video showing the strength of the drawers.

https://dragonfiretools.com/product/...es-work-bench/

I want your wrecked bike!
I will buy from you or your ins. co.
PM me with details of what you have.
Sticka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #27
Bay Arean
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticka View Post
My tools/workspace are a mess too. I have been looking around for ideas and I found this. I haven't pulled the trigger......yet!

Pretty impressive construction and a lot more affordable than the others.
Click on the link for pricing, options and a video showing the strength of the drawers.

https://dragonfiretools.com/product/...es-work-bench/

Toolchest pron. It probably should have a wetbar on the top for all that pleasure!

Let's see the thief roll that out of the garage! Ha.

Last edited by Bay Arean; 08-24-2020 at 02:07 PM..
Old 08-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #28
cheez
Read only user

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
Quote:
I like how Cheez has the toolbag handy on the bench so his wife can pack it with the good stuff and run off when SOMEBODY ELSE leaves the garage door open. Can I have an Amen here?
Fix't. That's literally why it's out- she took the palm sander and vibrating tool on a trip with her and that's her method of returning it.
cheez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #29
HappyHighwayman
Warning: Do Not Engage

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
I use my drills all the time so I'm getting special drill mounting pegs for the board instead of keeping them in their bag

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #30
TylerW
East Coast Mike

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
I use my drills all the time so I'm getting special drill mounting pegs for the board instead of keeping them in their bag
My drills get used so often that they basically live on my assembly table. Which is fine.

Adam Savage's book "Every Tool is a Hammer" as a really good couple of chapters on tool organization, and I've adopted some of his methodology. Basically it's all about what he calls "first order retrieveability" which is basically "drawers suck, that's where tools go to die" and its better to have tools stored neatly, if somewhat chaotically, but where you can easily see and find them.

His version of it results in tool carts like this. I'm not super into the cart idea, but I use this method wherever I can. Most of my different workspaces have specific tool needs, so I can just store the tools that I need in that specific station.

Last edited by TylerW; 08-24-2020 at 02:33 PM..
TylerW is online now   Reply With Quote