BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Notices

View Poll Results: Do ya like ya job?
I fucking love it, I can't wait to go to work sometimes!!! 17 19.32%
It's pretty good! Would rather be at home, but it's nice. 33 37.50%
It's OK 25 28.41%
I don't really like my job, can't wait to go home, dread coming in. 8 9.09%
I hate my job. I would quit if I could. It's the worst thing in my life by a mile. 5 5.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
DucatiHoney

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
I'm an architect. I guess if I have to work (I'd rather not work), this is a good gig. It's creative, it's challenging, and you get large, physical product at the end of it. Everyone knows generally what an architect does, and we're generally respected. It might sound petty, but all of that adds up for me. Recently I started working on a couple of homeless shelters to get people off the street during Covid. We're also doing some parklets for free to help restaurants in town stay open. I gotta say--that's made my job feel really satisfying. I'm literally changing the course of a over a hundred peoples' lives for the better in just one year, and not in a small way.

s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #17
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
It's pretty good...rather be out riding!!....fixed

...home is overated
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #18
SVsick50
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: BMX, 1987 Honda Super Magna VF700C
Name: Dion
I've been an insurance agent (life, retirement long term care and disability) and financial planner for 17 years with the same organization. We are a religious organization, and I love it. I've won many, many awards, been a top producing agent in my company for most of my career, been treated well, and very blessed to be doing what I'm doing. I love the people I serve and advise, and I'm an advocate for the planning I recommend.

I also personally deliver death claim checks to the families that need it when it's time. It's pretty raw to deliver a 1 million dollar tax free check to a grieving widow with her children.

Last edited by SVsick50; 09-17-2020 at 12:06 PM..
SVsick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #19
rodr
https://in-oz.com/

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
I am so damn lucky that I can fall out of bed in the morning, make coffee and spend most of the day in my home office. I'm self employed and do software development/maintenance for a handful of overseas clients in the medical field who respect and trust me and pay on time. The work itself is also mostly creative and interesting.

If it weren't for computers I'd probably be homeless.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #20
TheRobSJ
Großer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: No bike until I have a bigger garage.
Name: Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike95060 View Post
Are you fixing broken glass? How lucrative a gig is that?
AAPL. That’s lucrative. Don’t know about fixing screens. Would rather you all just buy a new phone than fix screens.
TheRobSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #21
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++++++ 2%

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Mateusz
Depends on the day.

I am a Market Analyst on a Strategy and Business Development team in healthcare. I have fun discussions with healthcare leaders about the success of their business and things that may impact the market as a whole. I use these conversations to help guide our business decisions. What products to develop, what partnerships to create, what companies to acquire. My team has spent almost $1B acquiring companies last couple of years. I also programmatically manage a couple high visibility surveys that help us ensure we are serving our customers best.

I live in Excel, Python, R, SPSS, and Tableau.

It can be a lot of fun but it's high stress at times too.
Cygnus 12.02.10
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #22
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
I was an HVAC service manager sorta guy.
There was was waaaay too much bidness, so I just pared down my customer base to cool folks that rode motorcycles.

Customers, pals... Cool, eh?

A thought for another worthy thread: how do your relationship change when you go on a dirt bike trip, say...
Two hours in the truck, traveling, getting gass food etc, getting geared up, ride for four, six, longer if you are gnarly...

Then, have a beer and drive home? Bonding?

Yeah, gotta start a new thread...

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!

Last edited by Butch; 09-17-2020 at 02:04 PM..
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #23
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABilly View Post
I do enjoy my job, for the most part. I'm an ER nurse and there are definitely bad days and shitty situations (and plenty of shitty people) but I love my coworkers and I like a job that lets me use my hands and brain.

I wish the rest of the country paid as well as the Bay Area because I'd like to leave CA, but anywhere I go would likely be a 40-70% pay cut. So I'm sticking it out here because it's a good gig. You also don't see many old ER nurses. As of now there isn't much else I'd rather do with my skillset but it's something to think about.

I considered doing Uber/Lyft because we bought a nice newer car. It qualifies for the highest price tier for both services, except for the fact that it's not black. Who knew rich snobs wouldn't set foot into a premium luxury vehicle because it's navy blue (a color option that actually cost more than plain black)? The price difference is about half, so fuckem. We'll just use the miles to enjoy the car for ourselves.
Huh? The colour of the car effect the price of the ride?
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #24
LakeMerrit
*Merritt

Contributor + 4%

Motorcycles: '19 Yamaha MT-10, '04 Triumph Speedy 955
Name:
I enjoy my work. I do product and business strategy, with a background in data science. Some days are frustrating, but most days are interesting.

It helps to work for a company that's not shitty. I currently work for a startup small business insurance company which is driven by the imperative of helping entrepreneurs and small business owners thrive. This means I get to spend time thinking of how I can value add for small businesses beyond just being a financial services provider. It's also just fucking refreshing to work for an insurance carrier who's claims adjusters job description is "find any way we can legally pay the claim. If we have to deny a claim it means we've failed somewhere upstream" and not "as soon as there is a plausible denial, deny it".

Last edited by LakeMerrit; 09-17-2020 at 04:25 PM..
LakeMerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #25
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Huh? The colour of the car effect the price of the ride?
Yes. At least for the “Uber Black” Tier. Has to have black leather interior specifically.

I made $60 for a 15 min ride with my Durango thanks to that.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Wheel horsepower is just crank horsepower after taxes.
NorCalAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:27 PM   #26
LakeMerrit
*Merritt

Contributor + 4%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Yes. At least for the “Uber Black” Tier. Has to have black leather interior specifically.

I made $60 for a 15 min ride with my Durango thanks to that.
Someone paid for Uber Black and got a Durango
Old 09-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #27
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: .
Name:
What Uber doesn’t tell you is when you register, they’ll throw you in “everything up to ____ Tier”. This means that even if it was an Escalade, 90% of your trips are still gonna be Uber Pool.

Also, basically the only difference between XL and Black is the black leather.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Wheel horsepower is just crank horsepower after taxes.

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 09-17-2020 at 04:33 PM..
NorCalAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #28
wilit
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '01 SV650S '12 350 EXCF
Name: Ryan
Love my job. I work for a large data center company in the design and construction group. I'm a design engineer and I design all of the data cabling pathways, underground conduits, intra/inter-site connectivity, WAPs, internal network switch placement, etc. We're a global group and I handle Central/South America and Europe. Lots of travel involved, get to be part of the pre-construction work in land acquisition and connectivity feasibility studies, all through the site design process, construction and eventually turnover to the site operations team.

Before that I worked in outside plant construction, fiber optic network design and optical transmission engineering at Verizon. It was fun for a while, but got boring and the work load got to be too much with all the layoffs. So glad I left for my new job.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin
"Americans need never fear their government because of the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation." - James Madison
wilit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #29
LakeMerrit
*Merritt

Contributor + 4%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
Love my job. I work for a large data center company in the design and construction group. I'm a design engineer and I design all of the data cabling pathways, underground conduits, intra/inter-site connectivity, WAPs, internal network switch placement, etc. We're a global group and I handle Central/South America and Europe. Lots of travel involved, get to be part of the pre-construction work in land acquisition and connectivity feasibility studies, all through the site design process, construction and eventually turnover to the site operations team.

Before that I worked in outside plant construction, fiber optic network design and optical transmission engineering at Verizon. It was fun for a while, but got boring and the work load got to be too much with all the layoffs. So glad I left for my new job.
That sounds awesome. I have however been told to stop using WAP as an unspecified acronym as of late...
Old 09-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #30
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Bizarre, is there actually data showing that the colour matters to the rider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMerrit View Post
Someone paid for Uber Black and got a Durango
Do you think people are Ubering with their AMG G 63‘s
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote