BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Notices

View Poll Results: Do ya like ya job?
I fucking love it, I can't wait to go to work sometimes!!! 17 19.32%
It's pretty good! Would rather be at home, but it's nice. 33 37.50%
It's OK 25 28.41%
I don't really like my job, can't wait to go home, dread coming in. 8 9.09%
I hate my job. I would quit if I could. It's the worst thing in my life by a mile. 5 5.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #31
wilit
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '01 SV650S '12 350 EXCF
Name: Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABilly View Post
I do enjoy my job, for the most part. I'm an ER nurse and there are definitely bad days and shitty situations (and plenty of shitty people) but I love my coworkers and I like a job that lets me use my hands and brain.

I wish the rest of the country paid as well as the Bay Area because I'd like to leave CA, but anywhere I go would likely be a 40-70% pay cut. So I'm sticking it out here because it's a good gig. You also don't see many old ER nurses. As of now there isn't much else I'd rather do with my skillset but it's something to think about.
Yeah man, my cousin and her husband were nurses in the Phoenix area and they were just flat out tired of the heat. They made decent money for the area, but they had been there 10+ years. They moved to Idaho and got a 50% paycut, but the cost of living was a little lower. Even with that, they were still struggling and moved back to Phoenix after a year. Kinda crazy to think that nursing in other parts of the US pays so low.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin
"Americans need never fear their government because of the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation." - James Madison
wilit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #32
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: .
Name:
IMO:

Teachers should make at least the median salary based on the zip code of their school.

Same for nurses / hospitals.

Might not always apply in the Bay Area where many can make more than that but I’d say it’s a good place to start the negotiations based on education, risk to life and limb, etc for nurses; foundational educational basis for success for teachers.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Wheel horsepower is just crank horsepower after taxes.
NorCalAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #33
CABilly
Splitter

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: R5 350
Name: Billy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Yes. At least for the “Uber Black” Tier. Has to have black leather interior specifically.

I made $60 for a 15 min ride with my Durango thanks to that.
The black leather interior is true but the exterior also must be black. I have an Escalade ESV Premium Luxury so it’s one of the few cars you can ride and also keep legitimate social distancing measures.

I tested a ride from Mineta airport to Mountain View a while back. The black xl was $80-something and the basic XL was $40-something. Eff that

Last edited by CABilly; 09-17-2020 at 06:11 PM..
CABilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #34
CABilly
Splitter

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: R5 350
Name: Billy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
Love my job. I work for a large data center company in the design and construction group. I'm a design engineer and I design all of the data cabling pathways, underground conduits, intra/inter-site connectivity, WAPs, internal network switch placement, etc. We're a global group and I handle Central/South America and Europe. Lots of travel involved, get to be part of the pre-construction work in land acquisition and connectivity feasibility studies, all through the site design process, construction and eventually turnover to the site operations team.

Before that I worked in outside plant construction, fiber optic network design and optical transmission engineering at Verizon. It was fun for a while, but got boring and the work load got to be too much with all the layoffs. So glad I left for my new job.
Heh
Old 09-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #35
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
I'm retired now and have had a number of jobs, from bus boy to corporate executive. I hated being a bus boy, loved being a night cleanup in a restaurant, absolutely loved running my own contracting business, hated with a passion working in a meat packing plant and a commercial laundry. Corporate exec was ok, the money was fabulous, but the pressure was too intense.

I also worked a bit in a doggy day care center a few years ago. ( I have been retired for a decade plus.). That was as much to keep me occupied as for the miserable wage. I loved the chance to hang out with all the dogs and walk them.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #36
littlebeast
get it while it's easy

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
i love my job, which is mostly negotiation and mediation (for a very large multi national corporation) - but itís exhausting. itís global, so the hours (previously travel - which i am so happy to not be currently doing) are brutal. but i get called in when there are problems that need to be sorted out, and i love sorting out problems.

that said, i am considering checking out. my SO and i live fairly modestly as compared to our means, and we have saved up what we fondly refer to as Ďfuck youí money. we are seriously considering exercising that option.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #37
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

Motorcycles: HD 2011 FXDF Dyna Fat Bob
Name: Bill
Job? Oh yeah, I remember that. Forty years as a tennis pro. Which is not really working, but retired anyway.

Got all day to ride, both sets of two-wheels, Harley & Trek, but no. First CoVid crowds the paths and trails of bicycle, then smoke makes it nearly impossible to do either.
Sometimes a bike is just a bike.
BillSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #38
LakeMerrit
*Merritt

Contributor + 4%

Motorcycles: '19 Yamaha MT-10, '04 Triumph Speedy 955
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
I'm retired now and have had a number of jobs, from bus boy to corporate executive. I hated being a bus boy, loved being a night cleanup in a restaurant, absolutely loved running my own contracting business, hated with a passion working in a meat packing plant and a commercial laundry. Corporate exec was ok, the money was fabulous, but the pressure was too intense.

I also worked a bit in a doggy day care center a few years ago. ( I have been retired for a decade plus.). That was as much to keep me occupied as for the miserable wage. I loved the chance to hang out with all the dogs and walk them.

Man i bet you've got stories. How did you end up as a corporate exec?
LakeMerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #39
280SQUAGGLER
Im cool with my skates

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2006 GSXR 1000,07 GSXR 600 Racebike, 1986 GSXR 750
Name: Rick
Love my job, own a motorcycle shop. I'm free to work on what i want and can test ride when i want. Been working on bikes since i was 13 part time. Did the corporate world and retired from that. Did the MSF Ridercoach thing for 14 years. Fed Ex lead at San Jose Airport for 10 years , that one i still miss. But owning my shop is the best job ever. The days fly by so quick and sometime i just want to work till i cant anymore. Everyday is exciting for me

Tire Changing/Balance
Loose wheels $20
On Bike $35ea

TMP
Retired-AFM #213
280SQUAGGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #40
Kim
KIMMEH!

BARF Moderator - Kitchen Sink
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 SV650
Name: Kim
Worked in the tech realm for the last 8 years in some form of marketing role. When Covid hit, I got paid too much money for what I did and they decided to cut my role and downsize the company. Mass lay offs happened and when I started looking for work I decided I did not want to do this shit anymore. Iím not that into tech and even less so in marketing.

So when I was laid off I registered at the local community college and took a summer semester EMT certification course. Got my Colorado and national certs. Currently working on my IV cert and have been working shifts at the local hospitals trying to gain experience. I actually had an interview yesterday so crossing my fingers I get the job. Not easy trying to get work in EMS when you are fresh out of school.

Iím really digging it so far.
Hoho
ďThe truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.Ē Bob Marley
Words to live by: "Fuck it" and "Go with the flow"

BARF Terms of Service
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #41
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
No not digging it
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:13 AM   #42
msethhunter
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '98 VTR1000F, she's a fatty! '89 YSR 50 with a 150, she said "it's so cute!"
Name: Mikey
I love my job. It's stupid easy. I hate getting to and from work though. When I hear people complain about there commute, I just laugh.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:07 AM   #43
Pushrod
Veteran

Motorcycles: VTR, R100RS,CB500
Name:
Food processing facility machine maintenance supervisor.

The production managers can be dicks to everyone in the house except for me. I hold their nuts in vise-grips. Machine FAIL means their fragile world goes to shit and they have no one else to turn to.

("You pushed the wrong button and now there are twenty-three people standing around, on the clock, and the customers are upset? I'll be there in a minute. Go tell the owner what's going on.")
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #44
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Motorcycles: '05 ZRX1200
Name: Ed
What a great thread. It's cool to learn about what you guys do for work.

I'm a Radiation Safety Officer/EH&S/Electron Accelerator Calibration guy for a large company. I just had my 33 year anniversary a few days ago. I love my job. I (used to) travel around the world setting up Radiation Safety programs for my company. I don't travel much anymore. I just take care of the US and Mexico now.

I REALLY appreciate my job. I get paid really well, but I'm looking forward to retirement- I'm 57 y/o. My Wife and I want to spend more time with our dogs. I don't understand folks who "never retire". Although I LOVE my job- I want to do more than just work.

Honorary Member of the TMU (Trouble Makers Union) local 650.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:08 AM   #45
gnahc79
Fear me!

Contributor

Motorcycles: snoozing
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVsick50 View Post
I've been an insurance agent (life, retirement long term care and disability) and financial planner for 17 years with the same organization. We are a religious organization, and I love it. I've won many, many awards, been a top producing agent in my company for most of my career, been treated well, and very blessed to be doing what I'm doing. I love the people I serve and advise, and I'm an advocate for the planning I recommend.

I also personally deliver death claim checks to the families that need it when it's time. It's pretty raw to deliver a 1 million dollar tax free check to a grieving widow with her children.

Thrivent?

I've been in tech since day 1 of graduating college nearly 20 yrs ago, still the same company too. Database engine level stuff. tying together mainframe and shiny new database engines (MPP, column store). At the design/tech lead level these days. I still like it and enjoy the challenges overall.
gnahc79 is offline   Reply With Quote