BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Notices

View Poll Results: Do ya like ya job?
I fucking love it, I can't wait to go to work sometimes!!! 17 19.32%
It's pretty good! Would rather be at home, but it's nice. 33 37.50%
It's OK 25 28.41%
I don't really like my job, can't wait to go home, dread coming in. 8 9.09%
I hate my job. I would quit if I could. It's the worst thing in my life by a mile. 5 5.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #46
tuxumino
purrfect

AMA #: 249288
Chief Beer Mooch
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: my butt on a duc
Name:
I do IT for the city, was fun 20 years ago, boss was just go fix it, didn't care how. Now it's micro manage everything, scope of responsibility greatly reduced, that's both good and bad.
I'm basically glorified helpdesk, have you tried turning it off and on again?
Every now and then get to solve an interesting problem and that feels good, but mostly it's walking end losers through shit you think everyone should know how to do these days.
The work isn't hard but the people can be annoying. we have 6 techs for about 1000 end users, so way under staffed.
T.M.U. Local 510 Rabbit Deployment Farce

Last edited by tuxumino; 09-18-2020 at 08:55 AM..
tuxumino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #47
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: 2020 BMW S1000XR Lowride.
Name: Bill
Adding to the Retired but what I did thread jack.

A poor kid growing up.
Picked fruit and topped onions in high school. Hard work.
Work-Study job at JC, Army Depot in the warehouse.
Worked packing sheds and canneries summers through college.

After Chico State '72
Could not find a job, won the draft lottery (9-14-50 look it up) took physical and 1W because of Enduro shoulder injury. So SOL no job can't join service.
Went back to the seasonal cannery. The Plant Manager was a good guy and said I thought you graduated? I said I did a long story but I became a supervisor and Safety Manager. Horrible job, 12+ hour days 7 days a week no OT pay during the season, all summer. The off-season was boring as shit. Did for 10 years but did meet my wife there

Moved to Hormel Foods at a Supervisor / Safety Manager. Same job but only 5 day a week. Good company, could change job and keep seniority and benefits. 6 weeks of vacation. And a lot of what I called Quit/die/retire money, work 30 years and you will have close or over 7 figures put away.
Transferred to Purchasing Manager. Better pay and a desk job. Did for 10 years
Transferred to Personal Manager. Loved the job. Paid a 6 figure salary easy job but lots of pressure. Wish I did this 20 years earlier.

Retired at 60 to a grandfather and man with time to ride. Best job I have ever had. Life is good.
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #48
Mr. White
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Worked for the same company for 16+ years. Left for a different company in Feb 2018. Went back to my previous employer beginning of April, working from home. I know this company very well and have a lot to offer them (which is why they asked me to come back). I haven't had any real work to do for over a month. I pretty much do whatever I want all day. I told my boss a while ago I had nothing to do, so he gave me a project which I finished within a couple weeks.

I'm happy to be employed and paid well, but I'm very bored.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #49
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
Mine has elements of 2, 3 & 4. Really I'd lean towards 4, except that I think that would make me an unappreciative dick lacking perspective, so I'm voting 2 as a means of obfuscating my inner spoiled brat.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #50
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post

I'm happy to be employed and paid well, but I'm very bored.
Ditto
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #51
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
I'm at 28 years in the tech industry doing ISP or Internet infrastructure work, starting in operations and currently in architecture and product design/innovation. I used to really enjoy the work but in the last decade the commoditization of every role is taking all of the fun (and salary) out of the work. I currently do computer server hardware engineering for an Internet company but am looking to pivot to something different.

Given a blank slate I'd be launching a company to design and build industrial robots. I have several design ideas that I would love an opportunity to see realized and which would provide a next-generation solution for an existing market and function.
2017 Harley FXDB Dyna Street Bob (//SVART//)
2000 Suzuki DR650 (Dr. Bike)
2004 Yamaha FJR1300AC (The Pensive Parrot)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || FCC: N0CHZ
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #52
R3DS!X
Whatever that means

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: Energica EVA
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
I'm at 28 years in the tech industry doing ISP or Internet infrastructure work, starting in operations and currently in architecture and product design/innovation. I used to really enjoy the work but in the last decade the commoditization of every role is taking all of the fun (and salary) out of the work. I currently do computer server hardware engineering for an Internet company but am looking to pivot to something different.

Given a blank slate I'd be launching a company to design and build industrial robots. I have several design ideas that I would love an opportunity to see realized and which would provide a next-generation solution for an existing market and function.
Did you go to Oceana by any chance?
Old 09-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #53
bergmen
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
None of the choices line up with my situation. Details later...

My first real job (while still living at home) was a motor paper route. First the SF Chronicle, then a bigger route with SJ Mercury. Dad was great to let me use the family car whenever I wanted (1962 Chrysler 300 convertible, PERFECT motor route car). Split the cost of tires since I put most of the wear on them.

In a way it was cool. Get up around 4:30, back home around 6:00, rest of the day free. Started in high school and kept it up through first part of college. Took out three loans and bought three motorcycles (including a brand new 1968 XLCH Sportster and a brand new 1969 Honda CB750, one of the first ones in the Santa Clara Valley). I sometimes delivered papers from the Sport. That was a trip. One aspect sucked: No days off, 7 days a week all year. I taught my folks to take over so I could take my first motorcycle trip to Canada in the summer of 1968.

Moved on to auto mechanic/tow truck driver. Knew within five minutes that I was not going to do this for a career.

Next job: Assembler trainee at small chemical analysis instrument company. Moved up to Lead then transferred into R&D as Design/Drafter. Left after 6 1/2 years to a job in Medical Ultrasound (Cardiac) as a Mechanical Designer. This was WAY cool, all I did was design, we had an engineering service dept. that did all of my drafting. Along the way took night school bought books and became a self-taught engineer.

Moved to a competitor (lousy, corrupt company) and left after 10 months for an ME job at a silicon wafer processing equipment company. Three years later offered an ME job at HP.

Currently an ME with what used to be HP in Santa Clara. I am the assigned project engineer for our gas phase single quad mass spectrometer. Fortunately, the company lets me work at home 2 out of 5 days since I live in Ukiah. Now full time from home because of COVID and will be until after the first of the year.

Since late last year, things have not been so good. New manager that I do not relate to (oil and water situation), company has lost many long time original scientists and chemists who were the inventors of much of our high tech IP and no replacements.

THEN, we went and had to change 3d CAD/PDM programs to a system that is baffling us as to complexity. I don't like it even though I have been using high-end 3d CAD since the early 1990s.

At 71, still working. Due to a number of financial complications (some my fault, others not), I don't have near enough resources to retire. I would if I could.

So I have no choice but to stick it out. I hinted at retirement at the first of the year and management freaked. There is no one in the company that can do what I do, they way I do it and it is broadly recognized. Boss did everything he could to talk me out of it. I relented when financial reality came into focus. Everyone (but me) was relieved.

So, here I am. Glad to be wanted and needed but my heart isn't in this anymore.

We'll see how it goes...

Sorry this is so long, I'm playing hooky right now and having a beer...

Dan
bergmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #54
mrmarklin
Veteran

Motorcycles: Harley Crossbones, Harley-Davidson FatBob
Name: Dave
Cool

My job basically sucks, but I knew it would coming out of college. I went into it for the money, and that part has worked out well. Mid six digit income cures a lot of loathing. At least in 2000 we stopped wearing ties to the office, and that is some help.
With luck I’m done next year. My replacement is being trained now
103 cu in. kit by BFD Racing,

2019 Harley-Davidson FXFBS
Stage One kit
mrmarklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #55
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
I came from a job that was not very stimulating at all. On the surface it seemed like a sweet gig, but was actually very repetitive and full of politics. I could feel myself getting dumber and needed to find ways outside of work to be creative. I constantly found myself asking coworkers "what are we doing with our lives?". That's a bad sign.

The new job is massively improved. The culture is respectful and engineering driven. It's challenging and every day is different. It's a bit mentally exhausting but I'll take that over being bored ANY DAY.

The take away from this experience is... if you feel yourself stagnating, find a change.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:19 PM   #56
bikewanker
Veteran

AMA #: 178394
Contributor ++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: TR-650x2, , Rapid Taxi RR, Tiger 1050, ZX-6r, '81 1002 F
Name: chris
Quote:
Adding to the Retired but what I did thread jack.

A poor kid growing up.
A paper route in junior high and throwing the Kansas City Star before and during high school, 3:30 AM & PM, bus boy, a city lawnmower, Sears shoe department and finally steady and definitely full time with US Army, 11c I think.
A $2.10 an hour part time job in college became full time as a clothier to the working man. Was bought once and while had different positions the last few years never changed companies. I enjoyed the out and about of delivery and getting to know various people. Was about to get written up as a supervisor when I said I didn’t like it. Barely tolerated the last few years of dealing with “youths “ coming back from deliveries. Made a lateral to the bay in the late 90’s never making bay $ but living modestly and paying myself first.
Considered retiring this year and the covid got me retired and a severance check. Damn good lemonade for me in 2020.

"tis better to wank here than in the hereafter" M.S. Murphy.
"Rivers and roads lead people on" Georgia O'Keeffe

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #57
Wolf
Experienced, not Skilled

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2012 FZ8
Name: Patrick
Software development lead.

It's about 50/50 fun/frustrating.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #58
Nick
Uncarlfarbmanlike

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda Metropolitan
Name: .
BARF has made me hate my job. In 11 years, 3 months, and 11 days I’m quitting.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:12 PM   #59
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
I love my side gigs.

Running this place and seeing the good side of what it brings to the community is awesome.

Covid took away my other side gig. Leading an aerobics class for 24hr.

Would have just passed 31 years a few days ago. Started doing it for the chicks. At 31 after quitting racing. Started doing class at 21 as part of my racing training. Plus the chicks were fun to be friends with and the music was great.
Michelle played hard rock and head banged on the stage. Very fun and the parties were great.

Continued for the benefits of having to go exercise and the people. Miss them now. Lots of good memories of the people that were regulars. A huge bonus was telling new people I met I was a professional athlete...... who makes 25 bux an hour. and my shoes are tax deductible

Doubt I will go back but still officially employed.

Might. Just happy 24 Hr kept me since I did not fit their mold on all the new and hip styles.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:52 PM   #60
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
Did you go to Oceana by any chance?
No- Lafayette High School, Lafayette, Louisiana.
2017 Harley FXDB Dyna Street Bob (//SVART//)
2000 Suzuki DR650 (Dr. Bike)
2004 Yamaha FJR1300AC (The Pensive Parrot)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || FCC: N0CHZ
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote