BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Notices

View Poll Results: Do ya like ya job?
I fucking love it, I can't wait to go to work sometimes!!! 17 19.32%
It's pretty good! Would rather be at home, but it's nice. 33 37.50%
It's OK 25 28.41%
I don't really like my job, can't wait to go home, dread coming in. 8 9.09%
I hate my job. I would quit if I could. It's the worst thing in my life by a mile. 5 5.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2020, 10:55 PM   #61
littlebeast
get it while it's easy

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
BARF has made me hate my job. In 11 years, 3 months, and 11 days I’m quitting.
i am profoundly sorry to hear this. your job is critically important to society - to us all. additonally, you are engaged - just the sort of thinking LEO we all need. yeah - there’s some fucked up shit going on, and a lot of disrespect as a result. but personally, i appreciate you, and the work you and your fellow LEO’s do. even when you make the occasional foray into being dismissive - you return to keep communication going, which i take as a sign of true commitment - a combination of humanity and professionalism. don’t give up babe. i’m hoping that after the 11 years, 3 months and 11 days you have left, you look back on your career and feel that in spite of the ups and the downs, it was worth every minute. WRT your job, all i can say is thank you for taking it on.

Last edited by littlebeast; 09-19-2020 at 11:03 PM..
littlebeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:39 PM   #62
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T, EX250, Ninja250R race bike, CBR250R(MC19), CBR250RR(MC22), VF500F, CBR600RR
Name: Danno
I’ve always loved all my jobs, mostly because I always picked jobs I liked. I always figured I’d do better work doing what I enjoyed. And advancement and promotion would be easier because I would learn and do better work than my co-workers who didn’t like that same job.

I’ve always like challenges and problem solving. So right out of school, I started my own IT consulting firm since there was great need. Manufacturing and waste by-products were forbidden in Santa Barbara, so IT was it!

That was great for 10-yrs and then I got bored, along with market crashing, I opened up Porsche tuning shop. Particularly niched & focused on re-programming Turbo models. I managed to squeeze out an additional +100hp from factory engine with zero hardware upgrades, just software! Boy that was fun and all the track testing and racing was blast! But running business got tiring, you gotta get up first, do tonnes of managing customers and orders. Even have to stay late, sweep floors and take out trash!

So went to work for one of biggest corp. in S.B., Select Staffing in IT and worked my way up to assistant Datacentre Manager. Lots of paid training and certifications along way. Got lots of autonomy, my own budget and crew. Then I got married and wanted to be closer to family in Bay Area.

So I jumped ship to manage lab-systems dept. for Gilead Sciences. That was great env, hi-paced, hi-stress with regular FDA audits. I loved the intensity!

Got recruited for IT Manager position at Berkshire Hathaway for +40% pay bump. Way more corporate and uptight. But I learned lots about how organizations worked (or rather not worked).

Figured I try opposite spectrum of small tech startup with tactile 3D gaming. Unfortunately too small, too inexperienced, without corporate structures that made for efficient operations. Blew all their VC and went under.

Now I’m IT Manager at another start-up, but not as high-tech, with track-record of success with paying big-wallet customers and steady income. Been in black from beginning and I love it!! Get to learn A LOT about new technologies, I spend more time studying and reading than actually working!

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 09-19-2020 at 11:53 PM..
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:56 AM   #63
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

AMA #: 2865228
Contributor +++++++++ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
Shout out to all of you who have found your niche in the world!

Over the years, I have had titles that had the word "analyst" in it. Always happy to be digging into the details. Never ever wanted to be a manager. Today, I have a data analytics analyst title. Basically, I act as bridge for the Accounting and Finance teams to understand large volumes of data at their disposal and make sure they're not using bad data. Explaining, anomalies, building controls that they understand, using tools that they use themselves while I primarily use sas. Learned programming by taking classes on my own dime in earlier years. Had the fundamental tools in my back pocket if I needed it.

I like my job even more when I have fewer hard deadlines, fewer meetings and more time to experiment on perfecting what is expected. Working with colleagues that immediately drop what they're doing to answer questions and reporting to a manager that notices and acknowledges go a long way. You can be in the perfect job that fits your personality and match your interests but if you are not appreciated, you can be miserable. I have been both happy and miserable in roles that fit me depending on which team/which culture I move to.

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+

Last edited by AwakeNAlive; 09-20-2020 at 05:03 AM..
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #64
Nick
Uncarlfarbmanlike

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda Metropolitan
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
i am profoundly sorry to hear this. your job is critically important to society - to us all. additonally, you are engaged - just the sort of thinking LEO we all need. yeah - there’s some fucked up shit going on, and a lot of disrespect as a result. but personally, i appreciate you, and the work you and your fellow LEO’s do. even when you make the occasional foray into being dismissive - you return to keep communication going, which i take as a sign of true commitment - a combination of humanity and professionalism. don’t give up babe. i’m hoping that after the 11 years, 3 months and 11 days you have left, you look back on your career and feel that in spite of the ups and the downs, it was worth every minute. WRT your job, all i can say is thank you for taking it on.
It was a bit of sarcasm. The People of BARF don’t have that level of impact on my attitude towards my career. My daily interactions with people do a lot towards maintaining my faith in humanity and my profession.

Right now it’s a low, but everything runs in cycles.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...

Last edited by Nick; 09-20-2020 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Avoid P-Tarp
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #65
mikev
ĽĽ───knee───►

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: .
Name:
which one?

#bootstraps

lying on the stones on the shore. in the dark. muscles torn. bones broken. heart aching. waiting for the tide to rise and take you into sweet oblivion. and then dawn breaks. and the glow flows over you. and you open a swollen eye, and cry at the beauty of the sun on the horizon. and think maybe...maybe you can pull yourself up - and make it one more day. maybe. one more day. and you rise.
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:42 AM   #66
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
Who is your daddy and what does he do?
Quote:
BARF has made me hate my job. In 11 years, 3 months, and 11 days I’m quitting.
<Ahnold voice> I'm a cop you idiot! </Ahnald voice>
Fixed that for you.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Wheel horsepower is just crank horsepower after taxes.
NorCalAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #67
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Quote:
It was a bit of sarcasm. The People of BARF donít have that level of impact on my attitude towards my career. My daily interactions with people do a lot towards maintaining my faith in humanity and my profession.

Right now itís a low, but everything runs in cycles.
That is good to hear.. I was a bit floored by your post.

I agree with LB... we need good dudes like you watching our six.
Thanks for that and thanks for your efforts in the ModCore.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #68
kevin 714
Veteran

MotoGP madman
BARFie winner 2014
Top Percent Poster
Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: LOLWUT?
Name:
im compensated ok and for the most part its fine, but I dont LIKE it. my job provides no real enjoyment, but its not like I dislike it it.

philosophically Im happy to have worked in the trades and feel more exposed to the "real" world, and learned a lot about life and many applicable skills, and been gainfully eomplyed through three recessions, but id def take a change of direction if it came my way

Last edited by kevin 714; 09-21-2020 at 10:55 AM..
kevin 714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #69
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
I love my job!

I'm currently getting paid to improve my motorcycle skills. It's a blast!

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #70
littlebeast
get it while it's easy

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
Quote:
It was a bit of sarcasm. The People of BARF donít have that level of impact on my attitude towards my career. My daily interactions with people do a lot towards maintaining my faith in humanity and my profession.

Right now itís a low, but everything runs in cycles.
i didnít guess sarcasm, but did figure overstatement. in any event, took the opportunity to say (what i hope was received as) nice things. also enjoy engaging with you, so any opportunity to do that is a plus.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #71
Nick
Uncarlfarbmanlike

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda Metropolitan
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
i didn’t guess sarcasm, but did figure overstatement. in any event, took the opportunity to say (what i hope was received as) nice things. also enjoy engaging with you, so any opportunity to do that is a plus.
Thanks

I’m still retiring in 11 years, 3 months, and 8 days though. Not that anyone is counting.....
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...

Last edited by Nick; 09-22-2020 at 06:01 AM..
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #72
asdfghwy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Fast one
Name:
I got laid off yesterday as part of thousands being let go.. I don't see an option for me
asdfghwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #73
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

Name:
Don't forget to file an unemployment insurance claim in your state as soon as you can dood ... and to have some fun during funemployment

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+

Last edited by AwakeNAlive; 09-22-2020 at 11:20 AM..
Old 09-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #74
asdfghwy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Fast one
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwakeNAlive View Post
Don't forget to file an unemployment insurance claim in your state as soon as you can dood ... and to have some fun during funemployment
For sure. I'll be on severance that'll carry me basically through q1 2021 before I can file, but I'm hoping I'll be employed long before then. Already have one or two likely options in the works I think
asdfghwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #75
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

Name:
Sweet