DReg350
My dog has laser vision!

AMA #3283440
Just Another Rider
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++++GOPx2

Motorcycles: ADV & DS
Name: Greg
Companies and recruiters almost always have a written agreement on file. The agreement offers protections for both the company and the agency. One of the protections involves candidate introductions and payment. Once an agency introduces a candidate to the company, the company agrees to pay the agency a fee if that candidate is hired by the company for the next x number of months. That time frame is usually 6 to 12 months. That variability is based on many factors. The email containing the candidate introduction (i.e. candidate resume) usually serves as the time stamp and starts the clock.

This is also used by companies to document which agency provided the introduction first, thus who is entitled to the fee if multiple agencies introduce the same candidate.

So, it doesn't matter if you work through the recruiter or around them. If they introduced you to the company and can prove that you were hired within the contract window, that agency is entitled to a fee.

My guess is there is more going on behind the scene that the recruiter is either unable or unwilling to share with you.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #17
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

AMA #: 2865228
Contributor +++++++++ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
"They like some other candidate(s) more than you" was the honest truth I got from an agency helping me look for temp gigs years ago. So there is always more than what they can tell you.

There's no such thing as loyalty. Keep on looking for that opportunity and stay on good terms with everybody

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+

Last edited by AwakeNAlive; 09-22-2020 at 09:55 AM..
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #18
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
How could they like anyone more than me, HOW? That just doesn't make sense.

Get out of here ANA with your wild speculation
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #19
HappyHighwayman
Warning: Do Not Engage

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
Recruiters are mostly unreliable. One said he'd get back to me in a few days and it was 2 weeks. They pretend to be on your side but they're only on their side. They are salesmen, and salesmen don't give a fuck about clients, just moving product.

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #20
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

AMA #: 2865228
Contributor +++++++++ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
How could they like anyone more than me, HOW? That just doesn't make sense.

Get out of here ANA with your wild speculation

You're right HH. The recruiters work for the company looking for candidates. They are looking for certain characteristics/personality traits (the way you handle yourself, come across) to fit into the culture, not just checking off qualification boxes.

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+

Last edited by AwakeNAlive; 09-22-2020 at 10:47 AM..
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #21
Circacee
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2007 GSXR 750
Name:
A great headhunter will GO TO WORK for you.. I have some of the BEST people on my roster that came through a headhunter.. With all that being said, if he isn't responding and dragging ass;

Fuck that guy, go direct.
Circacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #22
HappyHighwayman
Warning: Do Not Engage

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
My last mistake was actually talking to one and treating him like a human being. Won't make that mistake again.

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #23
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
So, if you have an agreement with the recruiter, you may be putting yourself at risk by skipping her. If The company has an agreement with the recruiter, they may also be at risk .

I would advise you to proceed with transparency and full disclosure.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #24
DReg350
My dog has laser vision!

AMA #3283440
Just Another Rider
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++++GOPx2

Motorcycles: ADV & DS
Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
So, if you have an agreement with the recruiter, you may be putting yourself at risk by skipping her. If The company has an agreement with the recruiter, they may also be at risk .

I would advise you to proceed with transparency and full disclosure.
Yes and no. Like people in general, there are many different types of agencies and recruiters. Some good, some bad. Some are general practice, some are industry, function and/or level specific. Some are contingency, some are retained. Some are temp, temp to perm, contract, contract to perm, etc.

With a general practice contingent recruiter who has no real industry specific expertise... I'd say you have very little risk. But, that's not who I'd be after as a candidate. Still, I'd rather do as you suggest and proceed with transparency and full disclosure.

Most solid recruiters are going to ask you where you've sent your resume in the last 6-12 months. They don't want to waste their time sending it to companies who already have it on file.

An example - The company recruiter, or whoever is managing agency recruiting within HR/Employment, etc. will immediately check the candidate name provided by an agency against their own Applicant Tracking System to ensure that candidate hasn't already applied. If yes, the agency is SOL, and the company can move forward with the candidate without the agency or having to pay a fee.

That's not always cast in concrete though. I've seen companies pay fees anyway. So many variables, because so many people involved. So many points of failure. Different conversation though.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #25
Akira-R
Veteran

Founding Member
Barf Brick Contributor

Motorcycles: 07 rsvr, 04 nsr50
Name:
The obvious is: Not all recruiters are equal.
A good recruiter will make sure the right person goes to the right job. If you were considered as a right person for the job, they would coach you before the interview, evaluate your resume and suggest changes to better impress the company.
If you aren't a good fit, they would tell you and explain why. Then help you find a better fit.

Is this a recruiter that you went to? Or one that sought you out? Most decent sized companies have specific recruiters they use. What's this ones relationship with the company?
Old 09-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #26
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Jesse
Offer him a BJ. Always works for me

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #27
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira-R View Post
The obvious is: Not all recruiters are equal.
A good recruiter will make sure the right person goes to the right job. If you were considered as a right person for the job, they would coach you before the interview, evaluate your resume and suggest changes to better impress the company.
If you aren't a good fit, they would tell you and explain why. Then help you find a better fit.

Is this a recruiter that you went to? Or one that sought you out? Most decent sized companies have specific recruiters they use. What's this ones relationship with the company?
Recruiter contacted someone else I used to work with to see if he was interested. He wasnít interested so recommended me. I wasnít job hunting and wasnít initially interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesasaurusRex View Post
Offer him a BJ. Always works for me
Thatís just not cool
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #28
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7 Racer & Griso & Quota, 450 EXC, Wee & Vee Strom
Name: David
Wow, lot of hate on here for recruiters!

From the hiring manager side of things, I always made sure to have a few awesome recruiters to work with.

A resume sent into the company's hiring website has zero vetting and usually tons of them. Post a job, get 150 resumes. Kind of a pain as the hiring manager going through all of them to sort out who is a decent fit or not.

But a great recruiter, give them the job description, quick chat about what you want, and they send over 2-3 candidates that are well vetted already and a pretty good match.

So I would only go wade thru the 100's of resumes if my recruiters had not gotten me any great candidates (which was like 5% of the time).

So being all pissy about recruiters is hurting a great path into a company.
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #29
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
Wow, lot of hate on here for recruiters!

From the hiring manager side of things, I always made sure to have a few awesome recruiters to work with.

A resume sent into the company's hiring website has zero vetting and usually tons of them. Post a job, get 150 resumes. Kind of a pain as the hiring manager going through all of them to sort out who is a decent fit or not.

But a great recruiter, give them the job description, quick chat about what you want, and they send over 2-3 candidates that are well vetted already and a pretty good match.

So I would only go wade thru the 100's of resumes if my recruiters had not gotten me any great candidates (which was like 5% of the time).

So being all pissy about recruiters is hurting a great path into a company.
A lot of it stems from recruiter spam. For every good one out there, there are a dozen giving them a bad name / rep.

Example : within weeks of graduating and adding a degree in Computer Science to my LinkedIn, I started getting recruiters sending me emails saying I was a "great fit" "fantastic resume" "would be amazing for this opening they had" etc. And then they'd send me a posting that required a Master's degree, 8-10 years experience in heavily technical architecture and technologies I'd never even heard of, etc, followed by "please send me your most recent resume."

They had clearly just scraped for "computer science" and nothing more before sending me their emails and were just hunting for resumes. They clearly had not read my profile or anything. Hell, I've gotten recruiters asking me to interview for senior data center positions that listed 10+ years of working in data centers just because I listed that I worked as a data center tech for a while.

I'll respond to 100% of the recruiters whom have clearly read my profile (which I keep up to date) and have something remotely close to my experience lined up (or can articulate in their opening email how / why I came across their radar and they'd like to set up an opening intro call). Sadly, I can confidently keep that % at 100 only because it's comparatively rare. Most just demand your resume right off the bat and then ghost you - probably because you're actually nowhere near qualified or interested in whatever position they're hunting for, but their poor filtering led them to you. So while it's understandable, it's annoying.

The advice I give new grads and people hunting, on the opposite side of the coin, is to take a sniper shot and not a shotgun blast. Don't just fill your resume with buzzword bingo gibberish - that's only making things worse for both you AND the recruiter. If you're sending out 400 resumes to get 5 replies back and 1 offer, you're part of the problem. Tailor that shit to each specific company and position and it'll cut down the noise. Similarly on the recruiting side - tailor that search more and you'll have a much greater followthrough / success rate.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Wheel horsepower is just crank horsepower after taxes.
NorCalAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #30
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
I would love to talk with some of the candidates that come across my desk from a recruiter who seems really well postitioned for Architects.

But... I cannot afford the fee. It is huge and will kill our little companies profit essentially taking away profit sharing contributions and Christmas bonuses for current staff.

I was kind of waiting for the next recession to seek one or two guys (hopefully good enough to partner in after a bit and take over in 5 so I can retire). Covid may make that happen sooner but right now even my regular guys are working 60% of normal and calling me to give them more because they need the $$.

Tied up in a wet paper bag.. so frustrating.

sorry for the thread jack BP.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote