Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Primo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #17
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
The rules are try to stick to the right and when you pass by a rider or group of riders going in your opposite direction, you indicate the number of riders in your group. Generally the lead rider does it but everyone else can. That way the know how many other bike to expect coming. Or if you pass someone and know there's someone behind indicate you had passed someone.

You do this but putting up a fist for no riders behind you (solo) that's usually me or 1 finger for one rider behind you 2 fingers for 2 riders behind you and so forth.

At Metcalf you don't have to worry about this as much since the trails are one way there are still intersections though.

If you've never been there before grab a park map and it should have the rules on the map.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 04-03-2021 at 02:22 PM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #18
Primo1
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2006 GSXR-750
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
The rules are try to stick to the right and when you pass by a rider or group of riders going in your opposite direction, you indicate the number of riders in your group. Generally the lead rider does it but everyone else can. That way the know how many other bike to expect coming. Or if you pass someone and know there's someone behind indicate you had passed someone.

You do this but putting up a fist for no riders behind you (solo) that's usually me or 1 finger for one rider behind you 2 fingers for 2 riders behind you and so forth.

At Metcalf you don't have to worry about this as much since the trails are one way there are still intersections though.

If you've never been there before grab a park map and it should have the rules on the map.
Great info. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #19
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 2020 300 XC-W TPI
Name:
If you're looking for a mostly big flat area with trails and no trees or random things to hit and is legally ride, then there is a little known riding area called San Luis Reservoir Off Highway Vehicle Recreation Area. Definitely head out there before it starts to get warm though.

Last edited by KooLaid; 04-07-2021 at 08:52 AM..
KooLaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #20
atoyf
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: BMW
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLaid View Post
If you're looking for a mostly big flat area with trails and no trees or random things to hit and is legally ride, then there is a little known riding area called San Luis Reservoir Off Highway Vehicle Recreation Area. Definitely head out there before it starts to get warm though.
thanks man, a bit far, but we will make it out there at some point ..!!
Old 04-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #21
Primo1
Rookie

Name:
So I'm shopping for gear for me and my son. Now my gear I've found 2 pants, jerseys and helmet for 70$ on offer up. Also looking for boots but those are harder to find in the right size.

For my son I'm getting a new helmet and boots, used pants and jersey for now. I don't want to be one of those guys in jeans and tennis shoes (on private land that's how we roll) but I'm also itching to head out there.

Are there others out there without all the gear? Also if I ride pretty grandma-ish on the beginner trail till I get all the gear , I should be good right?
Old 04-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #22
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo1 View Post
Also if I ride pretty grandma-ish on the beginner trail till I get all the gear, I should be good right?
You're good until you crash, or fall off in rocks.

A few weeks back I dumped my bike on a muddy uphill, and although I stepped away and never hit the ground, my shin somehow hit the footpeg and scraped some skin off. If I had been wearing my knee/shin guards it wouldn't have done a thing. This scrape went through a pair of Levi's and some First Gear overpants.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #23
Primo1
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
You're good until you crash, or fall off in rocks.

A few weeks back I dumped my bike on a muddy uphill, and although I stepped away and never hit the ground, my shin somehow hit the footpeg and scraped some skin off. If I had been wearing my knee/shin guards it wouldn't have done a thing. This scrape went through a pair of Levi's and some First Gear overpants.
Ah ya yai.... Ya I am looking to get all the pads too. Were you wearing boots ?
Old 04-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #24
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Were you wearing boots ?
Always. They would have had to have been about 4" higher to protect that part of my leg.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:01 AM   #25
Primo1
Rookie

Name:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
Always. They would have had to have been about 4" higher to protect that part of my leg.
And I thought boots were already high. Meh... We'll see what happens. But so far the gear collection is coming along. I just got ran over by a truck last thing I need is another bruise
Old 04-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #26
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 2020 300 XC-W TPI
Name:
Quote:
So I'm shopping for gear for me and my son. Now my gear I've found 2 pants, jerseys and helmet for 70$ on offer up. Also looking for boots but those are harder to find in the right size.

For my son I'm getting a new helmet and boots, used pants and jersey for now. I don't want to be one of those guys in jeans and tennis shoes (on private land that's how we roll) but I'm also itching to head out there.

Are there others out there without all the gear? Also if I ride pretty grandma-ish on the beginner trail till I get all the gear , I should be good right?
Oh man, I remember when I first started. Then I upgraded to the better full upper zip body armor mesh things, base layer, padded underwear, and it was amazing. I could fly off, land on the ground, sometimes on some gnarly rocks and it'd mostly only knock the wind out of me, but I was mostly ok ya know. Great for the past couple years lol. No bruised elbows, arms, back etc. But now....... I've gotta watch out for those dang concussions! So now it's on to getting into higher tech helmets and "hans" style neck braces.

Good gear isn't too expensive, great gear can be expensive no doubt but I tell ya what...... things like my $450 boots that articulate, 3d0 gloves, my base layers, armor (not just roost guard/chest protector) have paid themselves off several times over from hospital visits and I can ride all dang day in comfort which is priceless. In dollars, I probably wear no less than $1000 of gear in the dirt not including hydration backpack stuff and a mid level helmet.

Story time*

My buddy's 13 year old son was just starting out to ride and he fought against his dad tooth and nail against wearing his armor and boots when riding out at the ranch. Refused refused, would wear his tennis shoes. Also refused to stand up, complained about being tired fast. Well that was his father's call out at the ranch on private property but on our big group outings, all the parents get on every kids' ass on wearing all their gear. So on his first outing with our group, I took him and 2 other kids in full gear about his age out for a trail ride with him riding in the middle of the other kids. He hits a minor whoops that you can barely tell is a whoops, all of us stand, he is sitting, gets bucked off his seat, and his foot goes into front wheel, dumps it pretty good off the side of the trail. I turn around since I was leading and noticed I didn't hear noises behind me anymore and see him laid out almost crying, saying he thinks he broke his leg. I look at him, calm as a cucumber on the outside but semi panic inside assessing him and the situation, he stands up on his own walks around and asks if can we call his dad to pick him up in the truck because he thinks he broke his leg. I tell him to sit down a minute, his leg is fine and we ride back after a couple minutes. Since then without a word, he never rides without his boots and he stands up a lot more often.

Last edited by KooLaid; 04-17-2021 at 01:55 PM..
KooLaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:50 AM   #27
novaks47
Rookie

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Name:
Two things you should not skimp on when offroading, helmet and boots. Helmets aren't too spendy, you can get very good ones these days for not a lot of money. Boots are kind of the opposite, but still not too bad. Forma Terrain TX boots can be had for around $250-280, and are an excellent boot for that price-point.
novaks47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:37 PM   #28
Primo1
Rookie

Name:
I got boots, some beginner ones for me 119$ o'neals. For my kid (13) I had to spring for the Alpine stars 279$ because "they were comfortable". All good 1 hr of OT all week and like nothing ever happened plus his protection is important ;D

Got 2 pair of pants for 20 - still lots of use left. And brand new helmets. We are using my street riding gloves for now since I have 2 pair. Elbow and knee/shin pads will be here Thursday (cycle gear specials) . I think for the meantime we have some type of protection. Heavy hoodies and easy riding till the pads arrive.

We have a reservation at Metcalf finally ! WHOOP WHOOP

Last edited by Primo1; 04-19-2021 at 12:43 PM..
Old 04-20-2021, 07:55 AM   #29
novaks47
Rookie

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Name:
Looks like you've got the important stuff covered. Don't sweat the gloves, you don't really need dirt specific ones, gloves are gloves. I've been wearing some old Alpinestars street gloves, as I like the knuckle protection, and they have decent padding in the palm area, which helps mitigate the vibes and allows me to ride without my hands cramping up. I also have some Fox "dirt bike" gloves, but I don't really like how little protection they offer, and they're just not as comfy as my various street gloves, so they sit unused, haha!
novaks47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #30
atoyf
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: BMW
Name:
if anyone with kid(s) going to metcalf this Sunday 8-12pm and would like to team up, hit me up in PM..