wheelie tutor

Great advice on wheelies for novices. Thanks
Old 03-24-2006, 02:47 AM   #62
Squirt
Rookie

Motorcycles: YZF-R6
Name:
Thumbs up Wheelies

Where were you when I needed you......... 2 years ago when attempting my first wheelie, I did exactly what should not have been done. Too much throttle, looped my r-6 and tore the skin off of my ass...........LITERALLY. I was a mess, not to mention my baby (R-6). Haven't tried since then to wheelie. Information was great, hopefully I will be more successful next time around. Although I will use a beater next time for my exploits.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #63
Mike T
Ahahahahahaahahahahahaaha

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: '99 Yami R6 (sold), Duhondayamawazuki ZXGR-4550RRR Limited Special Edition, 2015 883 Iron
Name: Mikey
ahah did what you said...stayed in around 4k RPM...then went full throttle...ahahaha...it was picking up speed then it lifts up...ahah 1st time doing it today......ahah and i did that 3 times....but it was short...just 2 seconds up in the air...but hey! immma newb =]
..."Deuce-19's!"...

Newbie Ride #24
OG of Spartan Riders (since 2006 wo0t wo0t)
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:17 PM   #64
wingnutthehutt
Fast Is Relative

Contributor +

Motorcycles: take up a lot of space in my garage.
Name: Carl
It just takes practice "in a controlled environment with certified safety technicians nearby." Two seconds in the air on an R6 is probably around 20 feet. The next step, now that you have it up for more than a couple feet, is to modulate the throttle. You can balance the bike using the power, it doesn't have to be a 12 o'clock to be balanced.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #65
PhaTeLeSS
Slangin' solar.

Contributor +

Motorcycles: SV650S
Name: Joshua
anybody know if an FZR-600 will wheelie? my buddies (02 R1 and 98 TLR) can BARELY get my front wheel off the ground. are they just too used to the bigger bikes, or is the fzr just not a wheelie bike?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:16 PM   #66
sytfu_RR
Veteran

Motorcycles: 600rr, 110cc Fiddy
Name:
clutch it up, I've seen people stuntin on Kawasaki Ninja 250's so I'm sure your bike could.

R.I.P. Davis Huynh
You Will Be Always Be Missed.
sytfu_RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #67
mabbott
Veteran

Motorcycles: 04 CBR1000RR, 08 Busa (sold), 02 FZ1(died a painful death), 91 KX125(sold)
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by PhaTeLeSS
anybody know if an FZR-600 will wheelie? my buddies (02 R1 and 98 TLR) can BARELY get my front wheel off the ground. are they just too used to the bigger bikes, or is the fzr just not a wheelie bike?
My FZ-6 will pull the wheel off the ground getting on it in second gear. I found that leaning to hard on the bars keeps me from lifting in first... I hate it when I do that!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #68
elany

Motorcycles: Right now, 1998 GSXR 750
Name:
Learning - Help

I have been reading all these posts and they are helping, but I am still having problems wheelying.

I am a small guy 120lbs and 5'4", I ride a '98 GSXR 750 and everyone assures me that if I get on the throttle in first, possibly second, that the front will lift right up. I try this but the bike just revs out without really lifting - sometimes it comes up an inch or two.

I am wondering if it is because I am short and light and therefore can not get enough weight over the rear to work as a counter balance, anyone else have this problem?

Any GSXR 750 riders with some tips?
elany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:51 PM   #69
GreenHornet
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2019 r 1250 gs, 2002 998, 99 R6 Track Bike, 99 Yz 250, 2001 540 Exc, 2018 Benelli tnt 135
Name:
Yeah I have the same prob with my ZX 10 after about 95 mph it won't power wheelie in first anymore I have to use second any tips??
Old 06-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #70
Flap
Veteran

Motorcycles: Kawi SP12R-05 (ZX12R-01)
Name:
Work the clutch....open throttle with more clutch control...and try to work with the balance of your own body, you gotta physically support (balanced and with care) what u intend to do, maybe you lean forward too much.

But - if the hints in this thread don't get you wheelie-ing away then u need somebody to watch you (live) and see where your prob might be.

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenHornet
Yeah I have the same prob with my ZX 10 after about 95 mph it won't power wheelie in first anymore I have to use second any tips??
Yes, get a new transmission today. J/k...it's not the gear, it's the speed that does not go with the gear.

You could only change the chain and/or sprockets to get a different transmission ratio.

A good racer does not need data, he is in front. The others need data to know why they are behind.
(Nicki Lauda)

Last edited by Flap; 06-15-2006 at 09:57 AM..
Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #71
RC twan
Rookie

Motorcycles: 00 RC
Name:
chain slack

Do u really think chain slack is good or bad, wasnt sure beacuse the way you said it.
RC twan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:36 AM   #72
Flap
Veteran

Motorcycles: Kawi SP12R-05 (ZX12R-01)
Name:
Re: chain slack

Quote:
Originally posted by RC twan
Do u really think chain slack is good or bad, wasnt sure beacuse the way you said it.
For regular riding it is a bad idea, never compromise the safety of yourself by fucking around with a loose chain on public roads.

For serious stunters chain and sprocket adjustments sometimes make lots of sense, because it helps to finetune the torque control in lower gears.
You can either have more end speed or get a more direct response in low gears, you can't have both when u change things around.

Most stock bikes are well balanced and unless you are a very experiencd rider with a specific goal behind changing elemantary parts like that you should just stay away from those and leave them the way they are.

A good racer does not need data, he is in front. The others need data to know why they are behind.
(Nicki Lauda)
Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #73
inkking
Veteran

Motorcycles: nonexistant
Name:
So I read the first post and have tried to wheely. Only first gear. Anyway I finally got it pretty consistant. I have been able to wheely it when i approach the power band then let my clutch in slightly then out as i hit the throttle. Works good. Tried just throttling it but no luck just goes fast. I'm not interested in pullin' them for a long time just wanna bring the front up for a few seconds. IT IS FUN! 06 zzr600 same as 02 zx6r.

Ok so I tried some more today after work and had much more luck just throttling it with no clutch. I get it to about 7000 and let the throttle close and then whack it open, now we are talking.

DO WHAT YOU DO.

Last edited by inkking; 06-20-2006 at 08:07 PM..
inkking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #74
CrazedRider
Rookie

Motorcycles: 03 SV650s
Name:
need some extra tips here - did everything the post said.. got goin in first... kept weight stable and gripped the tank with my legs... got up to my powerband.... quickly opened up the throttle to full blast.... and the bike came up FAST and looped me right off....

i went down and watched the bike wheelie on its tail for a sec then come crashing down on its side. i did this in a parking lot by myself btw. everythings fixed now, but what did i do wrong?

could it have something to do with the lowdown torque of the sv? or is there a better way than actually opening the throttle all the way that quickly?
CrazedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #75
wingnutthehutt
Fast Is Relative

Contributor +

Motorcycles: take up a lot of space in my garage.
Name: Carl
it's actually a lot safer to get the front wheel up BEFORE you hit the power band. Horsepower is your enemy, Torque is your friend. When you hit the powerband, that's when HP kicks in. Depending on how big you are, you probably don't need to open the throttle all the way. The SV is a fairly torquey bike.

Also, you say that you "watched the bike wheelie on it's tail for a sec then come crashing down on it's side." That means you fell off, the bike didn't loop out. Body position is something I can't harp on students about enough. It will save your bike, and your butt.

Cover the rear brake next time you try doing a wheelie. Oh, and make sure someone else is with you.