BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Notices

Old 09-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #3331
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 2020 300 XC-W
Name:
I would love to try a tire changing stand sometime. I've had great luck with my tire irons, bead buddy and dish soap though. I was thinking all I would REALLY need is a section of all thread bolted to the corner of a heavy work bench.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #3332
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, Tiger 800, KTM 500, KTM 350
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia View Post
Man this thread has been quite lately.

I rode Cow yesterday with some friends. I picked up a slightly used 2020 350 exc-f and man I dig this bike!

We staged on the east side and were riding with a person with little dirt experience so tried to make it an easy loop. Lots of trees are down so if you go up there pack a hand saw, you will need it.
Where's the pics?!
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #3333
thedub
Octane Socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemetal View Post
Picked up a No-Mar tire changing stand off CL yesterday and have 3 tires to do. May do a bunch more and put bibs in just because...now I can : ).
Getting the 300 all tidy for the red sticker to start and have the head off the 550, may pull that motor and rebuild it.
Another old 550 buddy is doing a 93 500 (they stopped making the 500 motor in 91) so I'm doing a hydro clutch conversion on the case for him.
Anyone know a good mousse fit for an S12 (140 I think)? Gotta' call D and see what he has and make sure what I got. Believe it or not I've never gotten a flat on the trail but do want to see how those bibs ride.
I've a No-Mar for years, they are amazing for changing your own tubeless street tires. But never even considered using it for dirt bike tires, even with mousses. Regular ol' tire levers work just fine.

If you are running Michelin tires, run a Michelin mousse using their sizing chart.
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Old 09-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #3334
thedub
Octane Socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLaid View Post
Daughter asked for a bigger/faster bike so.....
Whoa, nice resto.
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Old 09-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #3335
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Whoa Luke, nice score on the No Mar. You've got all the nice toys in the shop.

When you say you are doing a hydro clutch conversion on the case, are you cutting and welding or is it a bolt on project? Love to see pics of what the conversion entails.

Koolaid, I was just changing a set of tires last week and thinking the same thing, adding a threaded bar to one of my benches for tire changes. And nice KX.

Rode with Daniel at Cow and can confirm that the new 350 is indeed a sweet bike. I am pretty sure that will be my next acquisition this coming year, be it a EXC-F or FE version of it. Been waffling in my head about the 350 or 500/501. Will be keeping the YZ as the primary offroad bike and kept thinking the 500 would make a better dual sport, but reality I think the 500 will just wear me out more and the 350 a better fit for me, even as a dedicated desert/dual sport.

So what have I done to my bike? Finally fitted those Shinko cheaters Wiles has been talking about on to the YZ. A 546 front and 505 rear. I've never been real sensitive to tire selection, they are round and have knobs.

The only tire I have actually disliked, was the Motoz Tractionator Enduro IT rear that just came off the bike. Heavy, stiff, and didnt instill confidence when leaned over. They do last forever, that was unfortunate for me.

The cheaters certainly are plusher over rocks, and seems to hook up going straight up hill. A little less clutch seems to be needed to keep from breaking traction and I can just let the motor lug along.

I think Daniel and I are going to try and burn in a turning track at Cow tomorrow and will give my full thoughts after that.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #3336
thedub
Octane Socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
Rode with Daniel at Cow and can confirm that the new 350 is indeed a sweet bike. I am pretty sure that will be my next acquisition this coming year, be it a EXC-F or FE version of it. Been waffling in my head about the 350 or 500/501. Will be keeping the YZ as the primary offroad bike and kept thinking the 500 would make a better dual sport, but reality I think the 500 will just wear me out more and the 350 a better fit for me, even as a dedicated desert/dual sport.
I think the 350 is the play if you are only gonna have one bike. But since you will keep the YZ, a 500 is a better dual sport bike. Why would it make you tired? A 500 is way easier to ride than your 1980's tech. I just think the bigger motor is much better for cruising down dirt roads all day, don't have to wind it out so much like the 350.
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Old 09-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #3337
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
I think the 350 is the play if you are only gonna have one bike. But since you will keep the YZ, a 500 is a better dual sport bike. Why would it make you tired? A 500 is way easier to ride than your 1980's tech. I just think the bigger motor is much better for cruising down dirt roads all day, don't have to wind it out so much like the 350.
Had to puff earmuffs on my YZ.

I would agree with you, but going just a notch or two up from cruising down a dirt road and the motor takes significantly more to hang on, for me. Rode a 450 same day to confirm my impression. It was my impression when I rode the 501 previously too. I'm still a few months away from purchasing, and hope to arrange another back to back ride, preferably a EXC 500 to make the final decision.

Because I know the 500 should make a better dual sport cruising and motor going further between top ends etc.

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

Old 09-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #3338
thedub
Octane Socks

Quote:
but going just a notch or two up from cruising down a dirt road and the motor takes significantly more to hang on, for me.
You don't have to open the throttle all the way you know.
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Old 09-23-2020, 04:40 AM   #3339
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '20 Scorpa, '19 TX 300, '17 1090 '93 KTM 550 MXC, '14 500 EXC
Name:
Quote:
I've a No-Mar for years, they are amazing for changing your own tubeless street tires. But never even considered using it for dirt bike tires, even with mousses. Regular ol' tire levers work just fine.

If you are running Michelin tires, run a Michelin mousse using their sizing chart.
I've heard that about the Michelins, I think you can choose two different sizes; one that feels like 8 psi and the other around 11?
I'm lazy with tire changes, can do them with spoons but hey, why not use a stand?

Quote:
When you say you are doing a hydro clutch conversion on the case, are you cutting and welding or is it a bolt on project? Love to see pics of what the conversion entails.
Stock case: modded case. Have to machine off the bore for the stock mechanical unit then build it back in some areas with weld. Machine it all down to create the pocket for the hydro slave. I use the slave from the 525 series 4t's with a 9.5mm master, you can one finger the clutch but it takes a little effort. Nice thing is no lever change with heat, the old ones engagement point moves around as the motor heats up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	537494   Click image for larger version

Name:	modded.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	537495  
elemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:43 AM   #3340
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '20 Scorpa, '19 TX 300, '17 1090 '93 KTM 550 MXC, '14 500 EXC
Name:
You're welcome to try my 500 EXC, I can take it just about anywhere I can take my 300 (just about...) but it is heavier and torquie. Valve train is more simple than the 350 series and you don't rev 'em as much so they have a tendency to last longer between rebuilds. Can't see is as the only bike but as Dub said, you have the YZ. Once 2t's are gone from CA the 350 platform will likely be where I go as well.
elemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #3341
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
Rode at Penny Pines with Oaklandf4i. We went out to do some cornering drills but it was smoky as Fack up there this morning. We ended up discussing the finer points of pretty much everything we could think of until the wind cleared The air and then we did a quick up and back on sled ridge. The idea was I wanted to ride the 350 and 200 back to back. The intention was to convince myself if I needed to keep or sell my 200. Well the second round was short and sweet due to a flat tire. Tres tubos didn’t bring a tube and neither did the other guy so the ride ended.

The good news is that I love my 200 and I’m keeping it.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #3342
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemetal View Post
You're welcome to try my 500 EXC, I can take it just about anywhere I can take my 300 (just about...) but it is heavier and torquie. Valve train is more simple than the 350 series and you don't rev 'em as much so they have a tendency to last longer between rebuilds. Can't see is as the only bike but as Dub said, you have the YZ. Once 2t's are gone from CA the 350 platform will likely be where I go as well.
Thats some seriously cool fab work Elemetal!

Thanks, I may take you up on that. Its going to be a few months before I pull the trigger and may waffle back and forth a few times. Totally agree, it makes more sense to get the 500/501 as a dual sport and certainly cheaper to keep running long term..... but its way more than I need just about anywhere short of the pavement AND I might find myself with an easier time when attempting some of the harder routes in Baja.

I've also been thinking about picking up one of the last carb'd 300s, be it a XC-W or TE, before relatively new two stroke used prices go Koo Koo in California. If I were married and didnt have so many connections to NorCal, I'd moving the F out of this state. Moving to Idaho or Oregon single at my age isnt appealing.

To be continued.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia View Post
Rode at Penny Pines with Oaklandf4i. We went out to do some cornering drills but it was smoky as Fack up there this morning. We ended up discussing the finer points of pretty much everything we could think of until the wind cleared The air and then we did a quick up and back on sled ridge. The idea was I wanted to ride the 350 and 200 back to back. The intention was to convince myself if I needed to keep or sell my 200. Well the second round was short and sweet due to a flat tire. Tres tubos didnít bring a tube and neither did the other guy so the ride ended.

The good news is that I love my 200 and Iím keeping it.
Well, we did accomplish something today! Your 200 rocks. And we got to chat with a cute flag woman.

I spent the last 10 minutes looking down at the front tire thinking something isnt right and or thinking, hmmmmm these Shinko Cheaters sure are loose underfoot as the front wasnt flat. Only to find the rear completely flat at the trail intersection.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:55 AM   #3343
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
I spent the last 10 minutes looking down at the front tire thinking something isnt right and or thinking, hmmmmm these Shinko Cheaters sure are loose underfoot as the front wasnt flat. Only to find the rear completely flat at the trail intersection.
I had that issue years ago with my KTM 990 Adv. I had a set of Heidenau K60 Scouts on it and was trying to figure out what was wrong with the front only to eventually figure out that the rear had zero pounds of air pressure in it. That tire was so stiff that you couldn't tell it was actually flat. I probably rode 40 miles on it like that. Duh.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #3344
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
Quote:
Excuse me sir, do you have a minute to talk about our lord and savior, Tubliss?

Old 09-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #3345
onto1wheel
Riding All The Time

Motorcycles: KTM kawi kawi yam beta honda honda
Name: Doug
lots o nice updates in here, been meaning to find time to talk about some updates i've been making, too.
But all I gotta say right now is what I did today:
Rode up and down the road a couple times before loading it up for tomorrows ride and all I can say is
OMG
It friggin riiiiips!
Dirt bikes are awesome! can't wait to shred!!!!!
(and the motor doesn't run any different than it has in the last 18 months. Dirt bikes just friggin riiiiip!)