BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Group Rides (scheduled, w/date in the title)

Notices

Old 08-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: 2020 BMW S1000XR Lowride.
Name: Bill
Thumbs up BILL'S BIRTHDAY RIDE. Sept 20, 2020

Edit: One Week to Go.

I did the test ride. After more than 20 years of going over Tioga Pass, Covid has made my normal birthday ride all but impossible. The old ride was a 360-mile round trip. This year we will only ride 220 miles from Starbucks in Stockton and back. But we are riding Maps links are below. There are a few spots with lose asphalt and one spot with light sand from an aggregate plant. Both are on smaller roads and we will not be going that fast there. Just want everyone to be aware. Hwy's 132, 49, and 140 are in good shape and fun. There will be two spots for lunch in Mariposa next to each other. Happy Burger and The 1850 Restaurant. 1850 a little more upscale both good and both have outdoor dining.

Map Stockton to Mariposa

Map Mariposa to Stockton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is that time again, I am turning 70 and time for my birthday ride. Because it is 2020 a really Fucked Up year we will not be going over Tioga Pass. You need a pass just to ride across, so I am planning a shorter lower elevation ride. Back roads up to Hwy 49 and then south through the "Little Dragon" lunch TBD somewhere in Mariposa. Return on more back roads. The round trip will only be around 250 miles. May be a short goat road or two. We will be leaving later so anyone from out of town does not have to get up a 0-dark-30.

September 20, 2020
Meet at 8:30 AM at the Starbuck Hwy 99 and Arch Road.
4895 S. State Hwy 99 East Frontage Road, Stockton, CA 95215
KSU at 9:00 AM

NOTE: ROUTE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BECAUSE OF FIRES AND WHATEVER ELSE 2020 MIGHT THROW AT US.

Last edited by bikeama; 09-12-2020 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: add address
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
bikeama
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

TTT

Two weeks to go.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
Damn it, with the latest fires in the Fresno area Mariposa doesn't look too good either.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
bikeama
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
Damn it, with the latest fires in the Fresno area Mariposa doesn't look too good either.
The fire maps make it look like all of CA is on fire. Hoping air is clear in two weeks and the roads are clear. We may be riding through some burned areas. Doing a pre-ride Friday as I have not been on a couple of roads in years.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
thepretender
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 S1000R 2014 VFR800
Name: Doug
Most of the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway is burned out a gorgeous big loop of nice road Hopefully the fire will stay SE of Oakhurst and leave Mariposa alone. This fire should be out by the 20th hopefully their is a short stretch of 49 just south of the 120 that recently burned but most can't be seen from the road so its good. The 120 going up to Big Oak Flat was just repaved and is smooth and fast (not that it was in all that bad of shape before) so you don't want to pass it up even if you just go up and down. I'll probably meet up with ya at 49 and do the Little Dragon and lunch with you. I do owe you lunch
Old 09-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
bikeama
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepretender View Post
Most of the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway is burned out a gorgeous big loop of nice road Hopefully the fire will stay SE of Oakhurst and leave Mariposa alone. This fire should be out by the 20th hopefully their is a short stretch of 49 just south of the 120 that recently burned but most can't be seen from the road so its good. The 120 going up to Big Oak Flat was just repaved and is smooth and fast (not that it was in all that bad of shape before) so you don't want to pass it up even if you just go up and down. I'll probably meet up with ya at 49 and do the Little Dragon and lunch with you. I do owe you lunch
Where to you recommend for an outside lunch?
Old 09-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
thepretender
Veteran

Happy Burger Diner makes a great burger but most everything else looks just ok (breakfast burritos are great too) Right across the street is 1850 just a few $ more I'd suggest that. I really haven't paid much attention I"ll ride through town and make notice in the next couple of days to see not all places in town are open. The Tacos Sonora food truck across from the market is my goto cheap and great food but not there on Sundays
Old 09-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #8
derache123

Motorcycles: '16 BMW F800GT
Name: Derek
I'm new to BARF and relatively new to riding (been riding for around a year). I'm currently living in the Sacramento area, so this wouldn't be too far away - would I be welcome on this ride? I also have not participated in group rides before.
derache123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
bikeama
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by derache123 View Post
I'm new to BARF and relatively new to riding (been riding for around a year). I'm currently living in the Sacramento area, so this wouldn't be too far away - would I be welcome on this ride? I also have not participated in group rides before.
Yes, you are welcome. Normally will have someone sweeping and watching out. We will stop at every turn off the road we are on to let everyone regroup.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by derache123 View Post
If you have not participated in a group ride yet, I would highly recommend you read the 1x1 about group rides. I have been to many, and unfortunately I have seen many bad mishaps. They were all easily avoidable if the new rider had known about the dynamics of group rides. They are typically very safe, and Bill has done them for a very long time.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #11
bikeama
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
If you have not participated in a group ride yet, I would highly recommend you read the 1x1 about group rides. I have been to many, and unfortunately I have seen many bad mishaps. They were all easily avoidable if the new rider had known about the dynamics of group rides. They are typically very safe, and Bill has done them for a very long time.
Great reminder.

Two good threads to read before your first group ride.

Advice to those that organize Group Rides and or participants!

Group Ride mentality.. you want to get home safe right??
Old 09-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #12
derache123

Motorcycles: '16 BMW F800GT
Name: Derek
Great to hear! And thank you both for those threads - will definitely read them over before I go.
derache123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #13
Smitherz
Rookie

Motorcycles: Aprilia Mille RSVR, Ninja 300, FZ-09, KTM's, Yamahas, Hondas...
Name: Smith
Hi Bill. I have new tires on order for my BMW... If I can get them on the bike this week I wouldn't mind joining the group. It's been a year since I've been through the area.
Smitherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #14
Heywood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Versys 650, FZ6
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeama View Post
...we will not be going over Tioga Pass. You need a pass just to ride across ...
Hi Bill, where did you find you need a pass? Caltrans site shows no closures. Just curious, unfortunately I can't join in your ride but was maybe headed that way next month.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #15
thepretender
Veteran

The pass is more like a reservation. You need a reservation in order to use or buy a pass at the gate. They limit the number of people per day they release a month at a time then the a limited number for the next 2 days at 7am each day first serve basis.

https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/facility/300015