BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Rider’s Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Streetriders Rights

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
Addi65
The German

Motorcycles: British
Name: Niko
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovico View Post
http://isddc.dot.gov/OLPFiles/NHTSA/013695.pdf

Probably very old news to most. While I don't know how "uninsured" plays into this scenario, inexperienced, unprotected and "does a poor job..." is pretty clear. I do take this with a grain of salt and it is quite old, nevertheless, I think there is a lot of truth in it.

I have seen a lot of people ride and can honestly say I am surprised (well, happy for them, but surprised) that they are still alive.

1. Lack of braking skills: Afraid to apply front brake, not two fingers covering brake lever AT ALL TIMES, trusting rear brake more for worry about front wheel slide. The rear doesn't do shit when you REALLY need to slow down NOW. Two fingers over the brake lever at all times make it IMMEDIATE to apply the brake rather than fumbling to reach for it, no need to change hand position and possibly no danger that hand can't do it as it freezes in fear. Also see 5. A decent bike with good tires and suspension setup can slow down at roughly 1g, but most riders are so afraid and untrained, they don't come even close to that.

2. Target Fixation: Don't want to hit that vehicle turning left in front of you? Don't stare at it!! While braking as much as possible, find a way around it (most likely behind it) and look there - because you go where you look. Practice that!!! If you are afraid of not making the right decision in a split second, just practice to ALWAYS go around the back of it. Really aim around it, don't count on them continuing to get out of the way as they often slam the brakes when they do finalize realize you are there.

3. Not understanding counter steering: A bike is not steered with "body english" or any of that bullshit. Trying to avoid the left turning SUV in your path? Look left and use all your might to push the left handlebar. Or die.

4. Not practicing: Too worried about cleaning the bike, putting loud pipes on and bragging about this or that bullshit. Go to a race track and practice. Find out how little you know about riding motorcycles. You can tell when somebody is bad by the way they sit on a bike:

5. Stiff arms, holding on to the steering: Whether clip-ons or monkey bars, the handle bar is for steering and not for holding on. Any force into the steering from holding on (see 3. counter steering) is a steering input and will be interpreted by the bike as such - making it go to some direction, but likely not where you need it to go. You hold on with your legs, grabbing the tank between the knees and use your torso muscles (if you have any, otherwise try the beer belly) to stabilize yourself. Then your arms are free to steer. This goes along with two fingers covering the brake lever - makes it less likely to "death grip" the steering.

6. If you are really interested in your safety, buy a bike with ABS. Learn how you can apply all brakes with full force at all times, rain or shine, and immediately and how technology will save your ass even you have no idea how it works.

7. Don't try to save money on tires and maintenance: Crappy tires on a bike are like running around with a loaded gun pointed at your head. Crappy, worn out suspension - same thing. Shocks work hard on these crappy roads and need to be adjusted and rebuilt rather frequently.

8. Gear: Helmet is obvious, but what I find much more important is boots, leathers and gloves. I crashed four times so far (all low siders, some track, some street) - helmet never touched the ground but boots, leathers (or aerostitch) and gloves took a serious beating which otherwise my skin and bones would have absorbed. Aerostitch was factory repaired, I never got even a scratch.

9. Ride like it's your body that's on the line: Wait a minute, it IS your body on the line. How can you seriously trust others (that you so despise) to protect you from harm instead of doing that yourself? By first of all looking ahead and watching what's going on. I have driven a lot of miles in heavy traffic in all scenarios, I have only truly been surprised a very rare number of times. In by far most cases, you will get some warning that somebody is about to do something stupid. If you still crash, it's most likely because you weren't paying attention.

10. Stereotype: Here it really works. A gold/brown colored Prius or Corolla will behave differently than a raised pickup or lowered Camaro or hopped up import racer. You can see it in advance. Both types can have bad drivers in them, but one category is timid-bad, the other is aggressive-bad which is more dangerous.

Anybody who makes even the slightest hint about "safety" (for example with respect to loud pipes) but has not seriously worked on above list first, is a fucking idiot -- and should definitely NOT ride around on any motorcycle, I propose bus or Taxi instead, because they also make bad car drivers. That's not my opinion, that's a fact. Interestingly, many of the same people who proclaim "loud pipes..." are also the ones who don't understand or even dispute counter steering - and are ass backwards in so many other ways. Don't be part of that crowd - they are on their way to extinction, one way or the other. Don't believe me? Go to Keith Code, they'll demonstrate it. Note, they don't talk about loud pipes there.
Bro you're so f&*^ right
Addi65 is offline   Reply With Quote