BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Trackdays

Notices

Old 01-14-2021, 04:28 AM   #1
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T, EX250E, Ninja250R race bike, CBR250R(MC19), CBR250RR(MC22), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
Name: Danno
Centralised Location for Most Trackdays

So my first season at track went well couple years ago with 42-trackdays and 4 race-weekends with AFM. Multiple tracks are close by with numerous trackday offerings such that I can go to track any and every weekend if I wanted.

Sears Point Sonoma - 15-minutes away
Dixon kart track - 1 hr
Little 99 kart track - 1 hr
Thunderhill - 1.5 hrs
Laguna Seca - 2 hrs
Buttonwillow - 5 hrs
Willow Springs - 6 hrs

With full-time WFH during this Covid fiasco, I can pretty much work from anywhere and save bank on living expenses.

So where should I live? Is there anywhere in U.S. (or World for that matter), that I can find as many tracks within close distance?

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 01-14-2021 at 04:34 AM..
DannoXYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
If you're willing to move a little south, and lengthen the time to Sears, you can put Buttonwillow and Willow closer on your list, and add in Fontana.

You'd have to move more I think to make Chuckwalla Valley Raceway accessible.

Head a little bit south and east, and Las Vegas may be on your map if Willow is valid at 6 hours.

Maybe move to the high desert, Barstow and such, that way you get access to Buttonwillow, Vegas, Willow, Chuckwalla, Fontana, plus endless desert off road and dual purpose runs to sharpen those skills.

And it's mostly open road with not a silly amount of traffic (save probably for Vegas and the 15).

Should just plot the tracks on the map and grab a compass and start drawing circles.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T, EX250E, Ninja250R race bike, CBR250R(MC19), CBR250RR(MC22), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
Should just plot the tracks on the map and grab a compass and start drawing circles.
Good idea! Was hoping someone's already done this. My goal is to hit up every track in U.S. So I might as well start plotting!
Old 01-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Fontana is near center for BW, LVMS, and Chuck.

But you shouldn't live anywhere if you want to ride lots of tracks. Get an unlimited data plan, outfit a sprinter van, and live everywhere. Spent lots of time at the amazing tracks like Road America, Barber, Laguna, and VIR. Ride the mediocre tracks once.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #5
MR662
AFM #662

AMA #: 1068326
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: All Kinds
Name: Mike
As for living, besides the high costs or taxes in CA, I don't think anywhere can match CA for our race tracks, outdoor activities like skiing and the beach, wineries, hiking, city life, suburbs, dining etc. I wouldn't move out of State just to be able to visit some tracks. Like others mentioned, if anything, move more central CA or just stay where your at. Then I d get an RV and start traveling to tracks, hit Oregon and Washington, then head out to Utah, make your way to Texas and see the country.

Work:
2018 BMW 1200 RT-P

Play:
2019 BMW R1250 GS
2019 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2020 Kawasaki Z125 Pro
2021 KTM 450 SMR

CMSP Instructor
http://pacificmotorcycletraining.com

Special thanks to: Race Pace Motorsports, Michelin Tires, Spears Racing, Law Tigers, Dave Moss Tuning, Fun Track Dayz, Motorex Oil, Arai Helmets, Spy Optics, Woodcraft, Cycle Gear, Matrix Concepts, My Wife
MR662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
blrmaker
Veteran

Motorcycles: 02' R1, Hypermotard, 99' R6 Track
Name: Stephen
Nashville may be an option. 1 hr to NCT, 3 hrs to Road Atlanta, 3.5hrs to Barber and 12 hrs to just about everywhere on the eastern side of the coutry. No state income tax and actual friendly people.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.
blrmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:12 PM   #7
berth
Veteran

Name:
All valid points, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR662 View Post
I wouldn't move out of State just to be able to visit some tracks.
WERA doesn't come west for a reason. Seems all the tracks are back east for them. NASCAR was the same way for the longest time.
#69 #45 NP
Old 01-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #8
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Good ideas everyone! I had previously examined RV idea many years ago, but was too locked into corporate job. Now that I have more flexibility, a fun-mover is definitely on horizon. I'll just establish residency on state with no income tax and roam around visiting tracks!
Old 01-21-2021, 03:04 AM   #9
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
Fontana is near center for BW, LVMS, and Chuck.

But you shouldn't live anywhere if you want to ride lots of tracks. Get an unlimited data plan, outfit a sprinter van, and live everywhere. Spent lots of time at the amazing tracks like Road America, Barber, Laguna, and VIR. Ride the mediocre tracks once.
Fontana's about done if they go ahead with their tear down plan, sad to say. Sonoma's not worth any money spent if it's not repaved.

Reno Fernley is supposed to be coming back online, but who knows there. BW has a second track coming online and CVMA is supposed to build a new configuration too. The Ridge, LVMS, etc...Danno needs to get a driver and fly in!

Quote:
All valid points, but...

WERA doesn't come west for a reason. Seems all the tracks are back east for them. NASCAR was the same way for the longest time.
WERA west is still active, but pretty small. They're still fighting the good fight.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #10
berth
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Fontana's about done if they go ahead with their tear down plan, sad to say. Sonoma's not worth any money spent if it's not repaved.
Wait, what? What plan is this?
Quote:
WERA west is still active, but pretty small. They're still fighting the good fight.
WERA used to have it National Endurance series come west to Fontana and Willow, and even to Las Vegas, but they don't any more. (I don't think.)
#69 #45 NP
Old 01-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
kmaggy
Veteran

BARF Sponsor
Contributor +++++ 2%

Motorcycles: Sea bee arrrs
Name: Kris
I would #vanlife. Thought about it and brought it up to the wifey, and she just said she'd leave me, so I will just stay where I'm at.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #12
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Wait, what? What plan is this?
https://www.frontstretch.com/2020/09...he-right-move/

My NASCAR love is where I came by the info...They may do an outdoor road course.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #13
Hooli
Big Ugly

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Oh yes.
Name: El Jefe
Give yourself a break and head overseas.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant Craig Hightower Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM Miri/Lylith
HoHo
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #14
kxmike
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2018 KTM350xc-f, 2017 r6, 2017 KTMrc390, 2014 Ducati Hypermotard sp, 03 Cannondale 460 supermoto, 01
Name: mike
I live in Lake County and have similar times to the same tracks except sonoma...it's 1.5 for me. BUT...I have 4 BLM dirt bike riding areas within 40 minutes, 6 mx tracks within 1.5 hrs and some of the best street riding in the state all around me. And it's so cheap to live here I can buy more bikes!
Old 01-21-2021, 09:40 PM   #15
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
I found that above 5 hours is a long drive.

So given that Holister or Coalinga etc. is pretty central.
All of SoCal and NorCal to Thill right there.

Fernly is being repaved shortly and will open later this year FYI.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote