danate
#hot4beks

AMA #: 2948810
Contributor + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: Big pompous Beemers
Name: Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I T-boned cars three times pulling out from side roads into my lane. Two times were on my bicycle going about 20-25mph. I flew over bonnet in one case and slammed into driverís door 2nd time.

Third time was on my CB350, same circumstances, but I was going about 35mph. Totalled bike and car.

My speed was irrelevant in these cases because it only changed effect of crash (not caused it). Higher speed would result in more injury as effect. But my speed did not cause the incident. Cause was driver didnít look and see me. If anything, more speed would have me stand out more from background. Or some weaving. Or headlight-modulators.

Now on single-vehicle crashes, speed would play more significant role.
Speed can always be a factor. Slower speed gives more time to react and time to come to a stop. More speed is rarely the answer (unless you're being chased by a bear).
danate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:34 PM   #17
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name: Tom
Quote:
I T-boned cars three times pulling out from side roads into my lane. Two times were on my bicycle going about 20-25mph. I flew over bonnet in one case and slammed into driverís door 2nd time.

Third time was on my CB350, same circumstances, but I was going about 35mph. Totalled bike and car.
You don't learn so good, do ya boy??

Seriously, though, speed and sight lines conspired against you in all three of these, seems like. 35mph doesn't sound all that fast - until you consider that maybe 15mph would've been more appropriate for the circumstances. Not saying it was in your case, just going by the fact that you allowed yourself to get taken out by a car intruding into your space - three times.

Our job is to do everything we can to make sure they can't get us.
ex-AFM #280
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:00 PM   #18
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T, EX250, Ninja250R race bike, CBR250R(MC19), CBR250RR(MC22), VF500F, CBR600RR
Name: Danno
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkFast View Post
You don't learn so good, do ya boy??

Seriously, though, speed and sight lines conspired against you in all three of these, seems like. 35mph doesn't sound all that fast - until you consider that maybe 15mph would've been more appropriate for the circumstances. Not saying it was in your case, just going by the fact that you allowed yourself to get taken out by a car intruding into your space - three times.

Our job is to do everything we can to make sure they can't get us.
Well, over course of 45-yrs, 3 incidents isn’t abnormal I’d say. Yeah, but how reasonable is 15mph on 4-lane hwy? That’s like going 30mph on freeway. How often do you drive 15mph on 55-mph hwy to mitigate chances of idiots pulling out?

In all cases I well below speed-limit. Again, don’t get cause and effect mixed up. If those drivers don’t see you and pull out, that’s actual start and cause of incident. How fast you’re going doesn’t change that.

Although statistically, more miles increases odds. I was training about 10k-miles/yr on road-bike and rode about 20-25k miles a year on moto (in 1990-2010), so that mostly increased odds. And there’s tonnes of geezers who shouldn’t be allowed to drive anymore in that area.

Over 2/3rds of motorcycle fatalities are caused by auto turning or pulling in front of them. Are you blaming all these deaths on the riders?

Cops and insurance companies certainly didn’t fault me in this incident.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 10-17-2020 at 06:07 PM..
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #19
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name: Tom
Quote:

Over 2/3rds of motorcycle fatalities are caused by auto turning or pulling in front of them. Are you blaming all these deaths on the riders?

Cops and insurance companies certainly didn’t fault me in this incident.
First of all, I'm sorry for your incidents, and glad you appear to have come away unscathed. Lucky. There are many others who have not been so fortunate.

Secondly, re blaming all these deaths on the riders, yep. You crash, it's on you. We can't afford the luxury of blaming someone else for a crash that we're involved with, because when you're on two wheels, you're way more vulnerable than those in other types of vehicles.

Insurance claims don't mean squat when you're dead or disabled for the rest of your life.

So therefore, my advice to all riders is to own their ride and always be prepared for the inattentive driver, the obstacle in the middle of the road just around the corner that you've ridden 100 times, the animal that jumps out in front of you, etc etc. We simply can't afford the luxury of assigning blame when we go down.
ex-AFM #280

Last edited by ThinkFast; 10-17-2020 at 09:31 PM..
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:04 AM   #20
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Again, donít get cause and effect mixed up. If those drivers donít see you and pull out, thatís actual start and cause of incident. How fast youíre going doesnít change that.
If you are going significantly faster than normal traffic on a give road it does change it.

When a driver is deciding to pull out onto a road, they'll usually look down the road as far as they would expect a normal speed vehicle to be to make their decision of whether or not it is safe to pull out. They're not nearly as likely to look twice as far down the road in case some fool is going more than double the normal speed there. I put more of the blame on the rider going way too fast on a road where there could be people pulling out in front of them.

As riders we need to do everything we can to reduce the risks of making contact with other vehicles and excessive speed anywhere other vehicles can invade our path of travel adds to the risk.