BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 08-01-2020, 06:02 AM   #1
DaveToo
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2uono, SV650
Name: Duh
Selling track bike in CA with delinquent CA reg

I've got a track bike that I've owned since 2004, always kept registered because I could never figure out how to get DMV to find correct paperwork for never-to-see-the-street-again streetbike and thus had to keep insured....

Reg hasn't been paid since 2017 for "reasons". I just got a dupe title but had to argue against paying the $700 in back fees because I was going to sell it out of state. That sale fell through. I figure most likely it will stay in CA when sold.

Because of the carbs and exhaust, it would be silly for the buyer to try to make it streetable again, whether they do or do not, what happens to the delinquent registration? Can I just transfer the title and forget about the reg? (Already gone to collections long ago).

Thanks...
DaveToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
Starpower
Veteran

12% Contributor

Motorcycles: '14 BMW S1000R, '13 Zero S, '01 Artic Cat 500 4x4 '13 WR250R '20 Kuberg Ranger ariving next month!
Name: Jeff
Is there a law against using a Non-Op on the track? I wouldn't think so, it's private property no?
Starpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
DaveToo
Veteran

DMV will not non-OP a vehicle if more than six (?) months overdue, as far as I know from the usual renewal notices.

However, there *is* (or was) a law saying that the bike had to be registered to even be trailered on the street. I started a thread about that on here.. probably back in 2003.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Wasn't there a deal a couple years back where bikes were getting cited at Laguna, since its a county owned track? I don't recall the details, maybe someone here will- and for sure can have the story AFU.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
DaveToo
Veteran

I heard the cops came through looking for stolen bikes but that was.. 15 years ago.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Matt
AFAIK, the seller can't complete transfer into their name until the reg fees are paid. They can start the process, but the DMV will keep you as the owner and the buyer as the pending owner until the fees are paid.

I'm about 75% confident on that.
2002 Honda CBR600F4i (track) | 2009 Suzuki GSXR-750

Current:
2009 Suzuki V-Strom 650
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Nick
Uncarlfarbmanlike

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda Metropolitan
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
AFAIK, the seller can't complete transfer into their name until the reg fees are paid. They can start the process, but the DMV will keep you as the owner and the buyer as the pending owner until the fees are paid.

I'm about 75% confident on that.
I was able to transfer the title of an expired vehicle that required a Smog by choosing to register it as non-op when I went to the DMV. Same may apply to vehicles with back fees in that title can be transferred but not made current until fees are paid.

This is really a question for DMV, not law enforcement.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
DaveToo
Veteran

DMV wanna Get That Money

I didn't get a satisfactory answer from them in the local office. I should probably try the phone again, but this is good info. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR, Kawi Prairie 700
Name:
I've bought stuff with reg fees outstanding. DMV will transfer the ownership and suspend the process until fees are paid. You will keep a stack of paperwork and not receive a title until the registration fees are cleared up. FWIW, I don't do this anymore. I like having a title for everything I have.

Edit: In your situation, I once had fees waived because I filled out a non-op form stating it hand't been used on the street since the registration expired. It took a statement of facts and the correct section of the Reg 102 form.

Last edited by scootergmc; 08-04-2020 at 02:56 PM..
scootergmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
DaveToo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post

Edit: In your situation, I once had fees waived because I filled out a non-op form stating it hand't been used on the street since the registration expired. It took a statement of facts and the correct section of the Reg 102 form.
After waiting on hold for 55 minutes this morning, that's what the guy eventually told me to do, so I have done did it. Crossing my fingers they accept my narrative.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR, Kawi Prairie 700
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveToo View Post
After waiting on hold for 55 minutes this morning, that's what the guy eventually told me to do, so I have done did it. Crossing my fingers they accept my narrative.

Thanks!
Sweet. Hope it works out.
scootergmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM   #12
Not Sure
I like money.

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: 20' 350 xcf-w, 07 Weeee, 97 yzf600r, 05 crf450, 93 cr250, 68 hodaka ace 100
Name: Drew
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveToo View Post
DMV will not non-OP a vehicle if more than six (?) months overdue, as far as I know from the usual renewal notices.

However, there *is* (or was) a law saying that the bike had to be registered to even be trailered on the street. I started a thread about that on here.. probably back in 2003.
To answer this question, I started this thread a few years ago when I was faced with a similar issue... Track bike, out of state registration with back fees, title not in my name etc.

https://bayarearidersforum.com/forum...rtation+permit
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM   #13
DaveToo
Veteran

(nevermind, I put my glasses on and read more of the thread.)

Last edited by DaveToo; Yesterday at 09:57 AM.. Reason: I'm dumb/impatient.