BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Old 07-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #16
Mithril_Maiden

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Vulcan S
Name:
Speaking of Highway 9, I managed to snag the last campsite at Big Basin for a weekend in October, so in a few months I will be riding on that road for some motocamping.

I'm not really in a big hurry the day I go to Santa Cruz. If Highway 9 is a bit safer, I can do that and add time to my trip. I'll look into the option of Soquel San Jose Road. That one isn't immediately familiar.
Mithril_Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:04 AM   #17
Demoni
Veteran

Motorcycles: 99' Ducati 900ss, 04' Aprilia RS50, 97' BMW F650, 00' BMW R1150GS, 05 CRF250R
Name: Chris
Yea I would strongly suggest finding an alternative route between San Jose and Santa Cruz. Much easier to go your pace on HW9.

Big +1 on doing things in steps. Get comfortable with riding on a twisty road, get comfortable riding in traffic, get comfortable with stupid cagers. Just don't try to do those all at the same time.

HW17 and the Bay Bridge during commute hours are 2 places I would avoid as a new rider. Just too much going on, can cause sensory overload.

Even as a experienced rider, HW17 at night in the wet is a wild ride.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM   #18
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
My suggestion is hit it Sun. at 6:00AM, traffic will be very few cars, stay in the right lane, and take a speed you are comfortable with. That way you get a feeling for the road, it is not really difficult, it is only congested many times. Sat 6:00AM is probably also OK. And if you are not comfortable riding in general then I would definitely take the bus.
Tom G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:18 AM   #19
Jake Ellison

Motorcycles: N/A (for now)
Name:
If you want my opinion, no road is ever dangerous for a very cautious driver/rider. Unless of course you are hit by another doofus on the road, then at least, it's not your fault.
Jake Ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:55 AM   #20
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big to small. I like 'em all. 950ADVS-450EXC-R100GS-TW200-YW50P-XR600-Z1-ST90-model165Hummer
Name: John
There's got to be folks here who remember the nickname for sections of Hwy 17 was blood alley.

That was before they put in the center dividers.
lots of head on collisions before then.
m0t0_ryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:15 AM   #21
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0t0_ryder View Post
There's got to be folks here who remember the nickname for sections of Hwy 17 was blood alley.

That was before they put in the center dividers.
lots of head on collisions before then.
See, based on the descriptions folks are sharing with this road, no-one should ride it, much less a novice. Apparently riding this road throws the rider in to the arms of fate, since you never know when you'll be coming around a corner and see a pair of semi trucks drag racing across the center line, or something.

From the satellite, Angeles Crest looks worse than this road. Ortega Highway looks worse than this road. Back side of Palomar looks worse than this road. Highway 33 looks worse than this road.

And those are all fine roads, and none of those are 4 lane roads.

But, I'm not on the ground. I don't ride this road. I don't know the environment. As a road, it looks fine, and better than most of the stuff I used to ride.
#69 #45 NP
berth is online now   Reply With Quote