AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
I am of the mind that the mask had a large effect. No science. Just a “large gut” feeling.
1Rider introduction on KFOG
Bone heads and bikers podcasts
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Godspeed Mom Pit Ho Godspeed Nicky #69 Hoho
AMA #203453
Need a BARF sticker or other stuff..PM me.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:09 AM   #7997
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++++++ 2%

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Mateusz
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
I am of the mind that the mask had a large effect. No science. Just a “large gut” feeling.
I wouldn’t say large. You’d be naive to claim 0 effect much as your naive to claim it’s the reason.

She broke a school record

She was gassed

It played a role.

No other kid passed out

Was she taken to the hospital and did she have an MRI for brain damage due to hypoxia? I’m guessing we all know the answer to this…
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 04-28-2021 at 05:12 AM..
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:30 AM   #7998
Joshman
-

Motorcycles: sv650
Name: Josh
While a bit anecdotal:
I run a reasonable amount (25 mi / week). I played around with my pace vs heart rate, mask on mask off. Pretty consistently after about 5 seconds wearing a mask, my heart rate would increase 8-10 bpm (for a heart rate above 150) while holding the same pace.

When running at higher heart rates, around 180, putting my mask on would push me to 188 or so, and I'd feel like I couldn't breathe.

I'd imagine if I really tried to run full out I'd have serious issues wearing a mask.
AFM #438
TWF Racing
Joshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:59 AM   #7999
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post
I wouldn’t say large. You’d be naive to claim 0 effect much as your naive to claim it’s the reason.

She broke a school record

She was gassed

It played a role.

No other kid passed out

Was she taken to the hospital and did she have an MRI for brain damage due to hypoxia? I’m guessing we all know the answer to this…
We occasionally see kids feint or collapse at the end of a race, usually the 1500m. It's often due to dehydration which leads to overheating during the race and most often happens on very hot (>95) days. I haven't seen anyone collapse at the end of a race when it was cooler, I've watched hundreds of races at meets where I was coaching.

No, they don't do an MRI on them, nor do they take them to the hospital. They do give them fluids, cool them down and raise their legs while lying down. They're almost always back to normal in 1/2 hour, often less.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:32 AM   #8000
Agent Orange
The b0y ninja

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: None
Name:
CDC easing mask restrictions for vaccinated people outside

https://apnews.com/article/cdc-mask-...19ff9428b59634
Old 04-28-2021, 07:36 AM   #8001
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
We occasionally see kids feint or collapse at the end of a race, usually the 1500m. It's often due to dehydration which leads to overheating during the race and most often happens on very hot (>95) days. I haven't seen anyone collapse at the end of a race when it was cooler, I've watched hundreds of races at meets where I was coaching.

No, they don't do an MRI on them, nor do they take them to the hospital. They do give them fluids, cool them down and raise their legs while lying down. They're almost always back to normal in 1/2 hour, often less.
All things I said above, minus the temp thing. It makes complete sense

But to say hypoxia was the cause and not the other things... why wouldn't you test?
Cygnus 12.02.10
Old 04-28-2021, 08:08 AM   #8002
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Quote:
All things I said above, minus the temp thing. It makes complete sense

But to say hypoxia was the cause and not the other things... why wouldn't you test?
When an athlete collapses on the track, we leave it up to the EMT's to evaluate them and decide a course of action. Out of all of the times that I've seen an athlete collapse at the end of a race, only one got transported to the hospital for further evaluation, that I'm aware of.

Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #8003
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

Quote:
When an athlete collapses on the track, we leave it up to the EMT's to evaluate them and decide a course of action. Out of all of the times that I've seen an athlete collapse at the end of a race, only one got transported to the hospital for further evaluation, that I'm aware of.
I was medic for PFT (military fitness test), we had several pass out over the years and did the same. Effecitvely their body was in shock and it's an easy treat.

Knees up and Pedialyte.

But I never indicated the collapse was due to hypoxia like this coach is, that's the difference I am trying to key in on here.

IF he thought is was due to hypoxia, why didn't he treat it as such?
Cygnus 12.02.10
Old 04-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #8004
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Quote:
I was medic for PFT (military fitness test), we had several pass out over the years and did the same. Effecitvely their body was in shock and it's an easy treat.

Knees up and Pedialyte.

But I never indicated the collapse was due to hypoxia like this coach is, that's the difference I am trying to key in on here.

IF he thought is was due to hypoxia, why didn't he treat it as such?
Quick onset, clear cause which has abated with the cessation of the activity.

Wouldn't you only hospitalize if the condition persists and/or is getting worse?

There is something called 'hypoxia training' where you're preparing for racing at high altitude and use a device to restrict your breathing.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #8005
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

Quote:
Quick onset, clear cause which has abated with the cessation of the activity.

Wouldn't you only hospitalize if the condition persists and/or is getting worse?

There is something called 'hypoxia training' where you're preparing for racing at high altitude and use a device to restrict your breathing.
Bigger discussion about the different types of hypoxias and dx/tx but for hypoxic hypoxia, highly likely you would be seen by MD (it's not something I could, as a medic, release for). Stagnant hypoxia, or what causes "normal" runners to pass out at the finish line is EMT release.

EDIT: more of a statement of, "How concerned is this Coach really?" Not concerned enough to do anything more then trackside support. So then I question if it is just being blown all out of proportion.
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 04-28-2021 at 10:23 AM..
Old 04-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #8006
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

With all that said, coach is highly supportive of mask wearing and only petitioned to have the actual races, moving forward, mask free.

Everything else, from practice and warm ups to cool down.

I would fully support this
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 04-28-2021 at 03:43 PM..
Old 04-28-2021, 08:50 PM   #8007
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Ditto
1Rider introduction on KFOG
Bone heads and bikers podcasts
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Godspeed Mom Pit Ho Godspeed Nicky #69 Hoho
AMA #203453
Need a BARF sticker or other stuff..PM me.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #8008
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Apparently, India's actual infection rate is much worse than the reported numbers.

U.S. tells citizens to leave India as covid crisis deepens
Quote:
The U.S. told its citizens to get out of India as soon as possible as the country's covid-19 crisis worsens at an astonishing pace.

In a Level 4 travel advisory --- the highest of its kind issued by the State Department -- U.S. citizens were told "not to travel to India or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so." There are 14 direct daily flights between India and the U.S. and other services that connect through Europe, the department said.

Indian authorities and hospitals are struggling to cope with unprecedented covid infections and deaths. Official data on Thursday showed new cases rose by a staggering 379,257 over the prior 24 hours, another record, while 3,645 additional lives were lost. More than 204,800 people have died.
From a data standpoint, India doesn't look nearly as bad as the US did 3 months ago.

However, data requires input and testing, both of which are reported to be lacking there.

With 4 times the population over the US, their raw numbers will look bad, even under-reported. Like some other countries, we'll probably never know the true extent of the deaths and infections.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #8009
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

I don't know, burning the dead on pyres in the street is pretty fucking bad
Cygnus 12.02.10
Old 04-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #8010
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Apparently, India's actual infection rate is much worse than the reported numbers.

U.S. tells citizens to leave India as covid crisis deepens

From a data standpoint, India doesn't look nearly as bad as the US did 3 months ago.

However, data requires input and testing, both of which are reported to be lacking there.
Right. The US peak new cases per day per 100K pop (7-day average) was 75 in mid-January, and India is now at 25. But the case curve is nearly vertical, suggesting worse to come. An indication that their case count is more or less accurate is that the death count seems to be following it as in the US and in other countries through the winter surge.

To me, the curves look much like the US and some European countries, delayed by 4 months. The advantage they have is availability of vaccines, so total cases may never reach the US count (in proportion to population).

Quote:
With 4 times the population over the US, their raw numbers will look bad, even under-reported. Like some other countries, we'll probably never know the true extent of the deaths and infections.
Given the 4x population factor I expect screaming headlines about the horror of India, without reference to relative size. In fact, if the delayed onset can be followed with aggressive vaccination, India may suffer much less than did countries where it hit earlier.

Data downloaded today from JHU.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	India 04-28.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	543430  

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote