Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #151
wendigo
Ex-pat

Motorcycles: '97 Valkyrie
Name: Bill
I thought Area 51 was in Roswell, New Mexico?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #152
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
this thread beats the kid who was attempting to borrow a bike after he crashed his... lol
Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #153
jroymcd
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XL1200
Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
I thought Area 51 was in Roswell, New Mexico?

Area 51 is a nickname for a military base located in the southern portion of Nevada in the western United States. Situated at its center, on the southern shore of Groom Lake is a large military airfield and one of the most secretive places in the world. The base's primary purpose is to support development and testing of experimental aircraft and weapons systems.[1][2]

The base lies within the United States Air Force's vast Nevada Test and Training Range. Although the facilities at the range are managed by the 99th Air Base Wing at Nellis Air Force Base, the Groom facility appears to be run as an adjunct of the Air Force Flight Test Center (AFFTC) at Edwards Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert, around 160 miles (260 km) from Groom, and as such the base is known as Air Force Flight Test Center (Detachment 3).[3][4]

Other names used for the facility include "Dreamland", "Paradise Ranch",[5] "Home Base", "Watertown Strip", Groom Lake[6] and most recently "Homey Airport".[7] The area is part of the Nellis Military Operations Area, and military pilots refer to the forbidden airspace around it (R-4808N[8]) as The Box.

The intense secrecy surrounding the base, the very existence of which the U.S. government barely acknowledges, has led it to become the frequent subject of conspiracy theories and a central component to UFO folklore.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #154
jroymcd
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Racer 69 View Post
I'm goin for a ride, catch you guys later tonite
Dude, I cant sleep til I find out how your ride to Mendocino was or was it New York or ..........

Im so confused.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #155
V4
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

BARF Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor

Motorcycles: are for posing...
Name: DCLXVI
do UFO's use race gas...?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #156
Sane_Man
Totally Tubular

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: 2003 40th Busa
Name: Pimpin' B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Santa View Post
Sprokets?

http://www.mike-myers.net/dieter9.jpg

Now is the time on Sprockets that we dance!
So are you implying that he went that fast because someone touched his monkey?

Yes I have a Wide S T A N C E, 29 inches.

"spelling correctly is for folks who are too dumb to think for themselves and can only memorize things" - The Amazing Kickstand

Participants shouldn't be turned off or scared by erections. "They happen." - Cuddle Parties
What is a cuddle party?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #157
Ookie007
Veteran

Motorcycles: esvee650es
Name:
This is the best thread i've seen on barf besides my own.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #158
jroymcd
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4 View Post
do UFO's use race gas...?

pretty sure they use Nuclear power. I hear them aliens have some nasty farts
Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #159
*Tina*
Fuck off

2007 Barfie Winner
Top Percent Poster
Contributor ++ BB

Motorcycles: .....
Name: Fuck You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookie007 View Post
This is the best thread i've seen on barf besides my own.
Link so I can compare the two ?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #160
NorCalRSVR
Rookie

Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV Mille R
Name:
I don't even know where to begin. I laughed a full on belly roll laugh at this thread.

I guess first off, yes; the Aprilia speedometer is in fact very accurate. Motorcyclist did a magazine test of various bikes and the accuracy of their speedometers a year or two ago. The Aprilia uses a magnetic pick-up at the rear wheel using the brake rotor bolts to measure the bikes speed. Motorcyclist found the Aprilia speedometer accurate to .10 MPH at 100MPH. IOW accurate to .10 %

That in and of itself is about the only factually correct statement I've seen made by the OP. Sure, sure, 1060cc big bore kit. 150 HP on the dyno yada yada, yada. A Desmosedici MotoGP bike (most powerful of the 800s yes?) makes somewhere in the neighborhood of 240 HP give or take 10. Ducati won't say exactly. The Desmosedici regularly posts the fastest trap speeds down the main straights of the worlds race tracks. Wrung out, throttle to the stops, it tops out around 202-204 MPH. This from a bike making nearly 100 more HP than it's possible for an 01 Mille to make and at somewhere around 100 lbs lighter with a professional racer in the saddle. What makes you think that a street legal Mille R is going to do 210 MPH down hill in a tail wind with the stated gearing? All I'm saying is if a full on MotoGP bike isn't going to do it, I don't see how any streetbike is going to. Oh wait, it is a Euro Spec bike right? Lets see; a 2002 US Spec Mille is rated at 128.5 hp stock (can't forget that .5) A similar Euro Spec Mille states 128 hp stock. This is according to MCN's motorcycle review from that year. Those are not however, the dyno figures but rather the rating given at the factory. In general, the bikes sent to the US post better HP numbers due to Euro Spec bikes being emissions compliant. The emissions regs there are even tougher than CA SMOG so to say it's Euro Spec means little in regard to HP or weight or anything else. The only real difference the Euro Spec Aprilias have over the US ones are piddly side stands that break and lighting differences to comply with the Euro regulations. Other than that, same same. Just for reference, the Mille R specs out at 403lbs dry and the standard Mille at 412lbs. Oil, coolant and fuel added, I'd have to guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 450lbs for the R and 460 for the standard Mille. According to Wikipedia the Desmosedici makes 230 hp and weighs 326lbs. Can you honestly believe that given those statistics even with your overbore and 150 hp and 450ish lbs that 210 is even remotely possible on a Mille? I'd have to say no way. It's not physically possible to do it....sean
Old 10-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #161
Cycle61
What the shit is this...

Contributographer

Motorcycles: yes
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRSVR View Post
I don't even know where to begin. I laughed a full on belly roll laugh at this thread.

I guess first off, yes; the Aprilia speedometer is in fact very accurate. Motorcyclist did a magazine test of various bikes and the accuracy of their speedometers a year or two ago. The Aprilia uses a magnetic pick-up at the rear wheel using the brake rotor bolts to measure the bikes speed. Motorcyclist found the Aprilia speedometer accurate to .10 MPH at 100MPH. IOW accurate to .10 %

That in and of itself is about the only factually correct statement I've seen made by the OP. Sure, sure, 1060cc big bore kit. 150 HP on the dyno yada yada, yada. A Desmosedici MotoGP bike (most powerful of the 800s yes?) makes somewhere in the neighborhood of 240 HP give or take 10. Ducati won't say exactly. The Desmosedici regularly posts the fastest trap speeds down the main straights of the worlds race tracks. Wrung out, throttle to the stops, it tops out around 202-204 MPH. This from a bike making nearly 100 more HP than it's possible for an 01 Mille to make and at somewhere around 100 lbs lighter with a professional racer in the saddle. What makes you think that a street legal Mille R is going to do 210 MPH down hill in a tail wind with the stated gearing? All I'm saying is if a full on MotoGP bike isn't going to do it, I don't see how any streetbike is going to. Oh wait, it is a Euro Spec bike right? Lets see; a 2002 US Spec Mille is rated at 128.5 hp stock (can't forget that .5) A similar Euro Spec Mille states 128 hp stock. This is according to MCN's motorcycle review from that year. Those are not however, the dyno figures but rather the rating given at the factory. In general, the bikes sent to the US post better HP numbers due to Euro Spec bikes being emissions compliant. The emissions regs there are even tougher than CA SMOG so to say it's Euro Spec means little in regard to HP or weight or anything else. The only real difference the Euro Spec Aprilias have over the US ones are piddly side stands that break and lighting differences to comply with the Euro regulations. Other than that, same same. Just for reference, the Mille R specs out at 403lbs dry and the standard Mille at 412lbs. Oil, coolant and fuel added, I'd have to guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 450lbs for the R and 460 for the standard Mille. According to Wikipedia the Desmosedici makes 230 hp and weighs 326lbs. Can you honestly believe that given those statistics even with your overbore and 150 hp and 450ish lbs that 210 is even remotely possible on a Mille? I'd have to say no way. It's not physically possible to do it....sean
I think if he changed the gearing he could do it.

Washington sucks and it rains all the time.

If I didn't hurt your feelings, then I retract my apology. - bruceflinch
Old 10-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #162
jrace
MotoGPhreak

2007 Barfie Winner
Barf's MotoGP Mad contributor
Contributor + BB

Motorcycles: In my Head
Name: dash jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle61 View Post
Really? What gearing does he have?

-jim
former AFM #250
MotoPod <----- The Internet Radio Show about Motorcycle Roadracing

@MatMladin: a security dude beat on my door to collect motorhome payment few yrs back. i answered naked and half boned up and never seen him again. hehe
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #163
Cycle61
What the shit is this...

Contributographer

Motorcycles: yes
Name:
Dunno, I'm still trying to find out the engine size.

Washington sucks and it rains all the time.

If I didn't hurt your feelings, then I retract my apology. - bruceflinch
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #164
Ookie007
Veteran

Motorcycles: esvee650es
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRSVR
words

Yeah but did you see he had his engine bored out to 1060cc. I don't think you really get what you can do with an engine bore like that...
Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #165
jroymcd
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrace View Post
Really? What gearing does he have?

-jim
Mr Horse already figured that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
Wait, I just figured it out -

He's got the 38-tooth sprocket on the front, and the 17 on the rear wheel.

It would take a while to get there, but that combo might see 210 at 9900 rpm.
Closed Thread