Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
I hope CRA already has a chat started with the other clubs so they can avoid running on the same weekend.
They have. Dustin and I are great friends so we've talked about this for some time now. Trackdaz has always been a well ran organization and Dustin was previously involved with CVMA and their ascension to prominence. I have no doubt he can do the same again, if not better. Gigi and Dan are top shelf people too.

I have high hopes for CRA as a new race club in SoCal. Said as a racer and as the AFM President. We should meet up there and hit some laps Rober!

Quote:
It'll be interesting to watch another club try to make longer races profitable. WERA did it years ago and eventually dropped them. I wonder how much racers are willing to pay for races that are 3x as long. 2x? 3x?
Solid point. A race event is monetized by $$/minute of rental time. Less down time = more income minutes. If bikes aren't going around the track, we're giving up income. Pretty simple formula, but not so simple without a crystal ball. turnout and races per rider are the two most important metrics. Selling a racer more races at the event is the way to make racing cheapest and keep the club solvent. More time on track for a class/ race = higher entry fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR662 View Post
but maybe some restructuring is needed.
Be careful who you listen to and what their experience levels are for running club events Mike. The numbers have to work for the event to take place/ club to continue. It's the matrix of income intake VS class structure/ race day that has always seemed to be a challenge. You've got a direct link to any of us on the board you want to talk to, especially me. Don't hesitate to reach out if you want to know how the sauce is simmered!
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #32
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
They have. Dustin and I are great friends so we've talked about this for some time now. Trackdaz has always been a well ran organization and Dustin was previously involved with CVMA and their ascension to prominence. I have no doubt he can do the same again, if not better. Gigi and Dan are top shelf people too.

I have high hopes for CRA as a new race club in SoCal. Said as a racer and as the AFM President. We should meet up there and hit some laps Robert!

Solid point. A race event is monetized by $$/minute of rental time. Less down time = more income minutes. If bikes aren't going around the track, we're giving up income. Pretty simple formula, but not so simple without a crystal ball. turnout and races per rider are the two most important metrics. Selling a racer more races at the event is the way to make racing cheapest and keep the club solvent. More time on track for a class/ race = higher entry fee.
I really hope I get to turn laps next year. I've got things in the works. I'll hit u up when it finally works out.

Hopefully their long races are some of the largest grids in the state. And hopefully that means the extra cost can be offset some by the sheer number of grip spots they are selling.

We just all need to remind racers to not be "scared" of longer races. Ya, its harder and you'll need more skill and fitness to do well. But thats the fun part! And don't worry about getting lapped. It happens and the passers have the skill to do it well.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #33
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bagger
Name:
AFM has continously for the last several years randomly given FP whatever laps Barb and the raise of hands wants. 12-16 depending on the whos who shows up at all tracks. Catering to FP. At the same time, because of "limiting time constraints at Sonoma" ("crashes"), taken away a lap to two from the rest of the club. More times than not the racing for the day is done well ahead of time of up to an hour.

Formula classes for each weight could have longer races +2 or more. It still hasnt been done and its been talked about for years. Its not the popular vote it seems. I believe it takes someone who wants to volunteer the time, wants to write out proposals, can make the meetings and also wants longer races. Seems like there is a large crowd that doesnt want anymore laps than 6. Example: Few years ago Berto asked for a raise of hands at Thunderhill to lower laps because it was hot out and people have a long drive home etc etc. There was quite a few in favor.

Same old song and dance. Im with the unpopular and want longer racing. Just for one race whether its 110 degrees out or 50 i know what i signed up for. Add more laps and ill show up to those events. Keep it the same and ill still show up, selectively.
scratchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #34
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

Quote:
I really hope I get to turn laps next year. I've got things in the works. I'll hit u up when it finally works out.
That'll be great if it works out. Would love to spin laps with you again, soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpad View Post
AFM has continously for the last several years randomly given FP whatever laps Barb and the raise of hands wants. 12-16 depending on the whos who shows up at all tracks. Catering to FP. At the same time, because of "limiting time constraints at Sonoma" ("crashes"), taken away a lap to two from the rest of the club. More times than not the racing for the day is done well ahead of time of up to an hour.

Formula classes for each weight could have longer races +2 or more. It still hasnt been done and its been talked about for years. Its not the popular vote it seems. I believe it takes someone who wants to volunteer the time, wants to write out proposals, can make the meetings and also wants longer races. Seems like there is a large crowd that doesnt want anymore laps than 6. Example: Few years ago Berto asked for a raise of hands at Thunderhill to lower laps because it was hot out and people have a long drive home etc etc. There was quite a few in favor.

Same old song and dance. Im with the unpopular and want longer racing. Just for one race whether its 110 degrees out or 50 i know what i signed up for. Add more laps and ill show up to those events. Keep it the same and ill still show up, selectively.
Totally agree with the longer laps for Formula classes Aaron. We got qualifying approved for F classes. The next step has always been 2-3 more laps for Formula classes and (fingers crossed), top 10 plates coming from the Formula classes only. That's been my dream, at least....
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Old 11-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #35
MR662
AFM #662

AMA #: 1068326
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: All Kinds
Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post

I have high hopes for CRA as a new race club in SoCal. Said as a racer and as the AFM President. We should meet up there and hit some laps Rober!

Be careful who you listen to and what their experience levels are for running club events Mike. The numbers have to work for the event to take place/ club to continue. It's the matrix of income intake VS class structure/ race day that has always seemed to be a challenge. You've got a direct link to any of us on the board you want to talk to, especially me. Don't hesitate to reach out if you want to know how the sauce is simmered!
No matter what Iím thrilled to have a NorCal racing club and be a member of the AFM. You all do great work behind the scenes and itís something Iíd never want to do. Too time consuming. Iím really impressed with you all getting to 2021 schedule out so quickly.

Still though any club can always learn from others. Hopefully CRA is very successful because that helps the motorcycle industry and AFM can see if they do anything better and maybe make changes if needed. I know thereís a reason the AFM has been around so long, Iíd just like to see bigger grids in all classes.

Work:
2018 BMW 1200 RT-P

Play:
2019 BMW R1250 GS (commuter)
2019 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Race)
2020 Kawasaki Z125 Pro (pit bike)

CMSP Instructor
http://pacificmotorcycletraining.com

Special thanks to: Spears Racing, Race Pace Motorsports and Michelin Tires, Dave Moss Tuning, Fun Track Dayz, Motorex Oil, Arai Helmets, Spy Optics, Woodcraft, Matrix Concepts, My Wife
MR662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #36
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

Totally agree we clubs can all learn from one another. I'm glad it's Dustin, Gigi, and Dan as the principles of CRA.

AFM #6 2020