BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 04-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #76
Banjoboy
Get over yerself!!!

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '07 FJR speedshifter ('07 FJR, :rip ) '07 FZ6 (dirt bike)
Name: ANorris
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckett View Post
No worries on the waiting, it was a nice ride up.

I dun tried ta git dat hillbilly gud un drunk on sum moonshine frum mah still.
Thanx alot ya bastid, after 29 long hard years of sobriety, you dun knocked me off the wagon! After a sip of that tasty beer, I dun had tuh pull a cork when I got home; have bean sloppy drunk ever since! How do you live with yerself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblood View Post
Bike started with 120 miles, end of day the Tiger had over 410.
Thanks for the help Jim.
Had a blast! + some

btw, nice dirtbike Banjoboy!
Thanks, I alwayz come prepared.
'n thanks fer share'in Henry with me, hope he didn't wreak too bad of Vaseline when I got dun with him.
Wut happen'd ta you foolz anywayz? Oh wait don't tell me; Dan's BMW broke down?
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
The adventure is in the rider, not the bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
let the rider who has neither broken the speed limit, nor crossed the double yellow - throw the first stone
(and also sell their fuckin' bike! )
Banjoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #77
Stiffler
Adventure Pig

Motorcycles: 990, Bicycles
Name: Mike
Thanks for the ride Drew! Everyone, it was awesome riding with you guys. You sure do roll deep. Was great seeing the other DRs out there too.

And somebody 2-up on a blue KTM snapped this of me at the last water crossing before the jeep trail:

Last edited by Stiffler; 04-09-2012 at 07:28 AM..
Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #78
NHESS81
Veteran

Motorcycles: na
Name: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzahel View Post
a gopro vid of the ride. p.s. how do you embed these?
Nice! Man...those 990s sounded like they were just taking a walk. They seem like great off-road/DS bikes and tank-like in their progression over the terrain...like, they will just keep going and going. You picked pretty good lines over the washouts/water ruts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energizer26 View Post

My near crash in the dirt and over a cliff:
\

Wait, you didnt air down??! Make that priority #1 next time. Even if you just take the front down to like 20 F/R it'll be a huge improvement over street pressures.

Also, in the dirt (much like the road) you want to be slowed down for the turn well before the turn and be on the gas to help the back end steer around.

Last edited by NHESS81; 04-09-2012 at 01:17 PM..
NHESS81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #79
seavoyage
grunt n00b

Motorcycles: -
Name: Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHESS81 View Post
in the dirt (much like the road) you want to be slowed down for the turn well before the turn and be on the gas to help the back end steer around.
Get y'er ass cheek hanging off the outside... dab that rear brake...get on the gas before the turn, back her in.. and square it off! Energizer26 is quite proficient in the dirt... probably just forgot he was off pavement while manhandling his VStrom... so just for the camera, it looked like he decided to spend all $10 by 'hanging off'/dragging elbow for a change, and going wide for a 'decreasing radius, off camber turn'. Besides it was Passover, and he wanted to check out Heaven in case the Rapture happened before Easter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
Thanks for the ride Drew!
For all you heathens that were pushing to schedule this ride on Easter Sunday: That's Iceman9R on a Cagiva! OMG a Cagiva Elefant! Now why can't the Multistradas do that? I'm taking you Sac boys up on that offer to ride the snow up in the Sierras!

My Jewish friends now think I'm an ignorant Gentile for scheduling the ride on Passover... and the Sabbath!

Vids courtesy of Iceman9r, Stiffler, and Hoologan (GCDS): We have got to ride in the snow with these Sac guys! Freakin' WOT and Wheelies!

youtu.be/J_wtq_jQUBI

youtu.be/FWtZZsii_I4

Watercrossing in the snow!!!

youtu.be/IbwrcE-UzSc

youtu.be/PkAbZp7c3NY

Last edited by seavoyage; 04-10-2012 at 04:41 PM..
seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #80
NHESS81
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seavoyage View Post
Get y'er ass cheek hanging off the outside... dab that rear brake...get on the gas before the turn, back her in.. and square it off! Energizer26 is quite proficient in the dirt... probably just forgot he was off pavement while manhandling his VStrom... so just for the camera, it looked like he decided to spend all $10 by 'hanging off'/dragging elbow for a change, and going wide for a 'decreasing radius, off camber turn'. Besides it was Passover, and he wanted to check out Heaven in case the Rapture happened before Easter.
LoL! Well..yeah those tips too, but it's still a DS ride not a hare scramble!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #81
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Nice! Man...those 990s sounded like they were just taking a walk. They seem like great off-road/DS bikes and tank-like in their progression over the terrain...like, they will just keep going and going.
I always have to stop and watch when someone on a 990 goes by on a dirt trail. It's like watching a Lockheed C-5 Galaxy take off and land.
Seems to defy physics.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #82
Iceman9r
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ducati Cagiva Elefant
Name: Kurt J
Quote:
Originally Posted by seavoyage View Post

For all you heathens that were pushing to schedule this ride on Easter Sunday: That's Iceman9R on a Cagiva! OMG a Cagiva Elefant! Now why can't the Multistradas do that? I'm taking you Sac boys up on that offer to ride the snow up in the Sierras!

My Jewish friends now think I'm an ignorant Gentile for scheduling the ride on Passover... and the Sabbath!

Stop the press! mnb is selling tires that work in the dirt.
Well we don't ride in the snow after it has drop below freezing up there a couple of times. Right now it is well above three feet deep to get to any of the good places, With more coming! That and all the gates to get to the good area's are closed.

When snow is that deep and has frozen acouple of times it's unrideable. You go a couple of feet and break threw the top layer and have to dig out. Best time is when it fresh snow. Lots of tracktion and side ways all the time.

We will get a ride up for you folks to join us on after things settle down a bit. There are some real good loops that can be strung together for a good day of riding. We wont have any problems showing you folks around.

And then again there are those water crossing's....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibwrc...2&feature=plcp

Last edited by Iceman9r; 04-09-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Iceman9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #83
Hoologan
Veteran

Motorcycles: GSXR600, DL1000, XR650R
Name: Logan
Hey seavoyage, thanks for letting us tag along. Nice chatting with you at the roadhouse afterward too. Cheers.
Hoologan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #84
slowblood
is slow

AMA #: 2846482
Contributor +

Motorcycles: A Duc and a Trump
Name: Kyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoboy View Post
Wut happen'd ta you foolz anywayz? Oh wait don't tell me; Dan's BMW broke down?
TruF! Dan had problem with his clutch cable, so we were delayed from Cheezeburgers!!!

Next time BB!
slowblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #85
revnort
Tasty Pants

AMA#: 1108597
Contributor +++++++++

Motorcycles: F800GS, Dr. Zoidberg
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblood View Post
TruF! Dan had problem with his clutch cable, so we were delayed from Cheezeburgers!!!

Next time BB!
It's true, I fuxored with it some more yesterday and today and I just need a new damn cable.

Who do you see? Who do do you watch? Which is your flock? Do you watch at a distance from the side you have chosen? Whose answers serve you best? Who'll save you from confusion? Who will leave you an exit and a comfortable cover? Who will take you oh so near the edge, but never drop you over?
revnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #86
Drgnkne
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: KTM 990 and Honda 450X (plated)
Name:
Quote:
Nice! Man...those 990s sounded like they were just taking a walk. They seem like great off-road/DS bikes and tank-like in their progression over the terrain...like, they will just keep going and going. You picked pretty good lines over the washouts/water ruts.

Wait, you didnt air down??! Make that priority #1 next time. Even if you just take the front down to like 20 F/R it'll be a huge improvement over street pressures.

IF your riding a Big Bike like a 990 you don't want to Air down... the reason is the bike is so heavy that rim damage will occur. Most of us Run 35 PSI street and dirt..

dont ask me how I know.
Drgnkne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #87
NHESS81
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgnkne View Post
IF your riding a Big Bike like a 990 you don't want to Air down... the reason is the bike is so heavy that rim damage will occur. Most of us Run 35 PSI street and dirt..

dont ask me how I know.
Well, you 990ers also ride like Coma and Despres circa the good Dakar years....I take your advice, but still think a few PSI down on a VStrom rider would help...lol...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #88
mnb
Obliterates Stereotypes

Motorcycles: '14.Ducati.Multistrada '11.Husky.TE310 '09.BMW.F800GS '07.HD.Road.King '03.Husky.TE610 '97.BMW.K1100
Name: Curt
You can air down on the big bikes, just don't air down to 20... 24 would be the lowest I'd go.

And most importantly!!! AIR BACK UP! Running low pressure on the street is a sure way to overheat your tires and cause them to wear faster.

And yes, I am selling tires. There's a thread in the classified section. I'm dropping off the 606s tonight and I think the TKCs are spoken for, but the Karoos are available and a set of Shinko 705s, which are the most street oriented of the tires I was selling (but still a wide groove in the tread). The Karoos are dirt bike sized (90/90x21 and 140/80x18) and the shinkos fit an F800GS (90/90x21 and 150/70x17). If you need tubeless, let me know, I can double check if they'll work for you.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #89
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
The manual for my 690 says 22psi for offroad. Which seems way too hard when I run that so I run 14-16 and installed a rim lock. I know a guy with same bike and he's using the tubliss system. It's effectively a full circumference rim lock and he runs under 10psi.
As everyone knows tires are a factor. Got me some fresh new MT21's. Seems like a stiff sidewall, second set and no rim damage yet.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #90
Leo_jb
City boy

Motorcycles: '11 KTM 990R; '00 XR400; '06 KLR650; '02 YZ250
Name: Leo
Someone a few posts back asked what tires we were running on the KTMs. Both Kyle and I have the stock Pirelli on the rear (its an 80-20 at best). I can't speak for Kyle, but the big KTM chews through dirt tires way too fast for my wallet, so I've stuck with the Pirelli's. I am currently running a TKC-80 on the front, and Kyle has a Karoo. Similar tread patterns, stick pretty well in the street once you get a couple hundred miles on them. I didn't air down from my usual pressure of 36 psi, and I don't think Kyle did either.
Leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote