Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 01-22-2019, 04:56 AM   #1
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Rally Computer?

So I have a Trailtech Vapor on the Cactus Puncher DR650 and it's a great gauge, however my biggest gripe about it is the freakin trip meter. It so dumb the way they have you reset it. You gotta hold down TWO buttons simultaneously for a few seconds to reset the trip. When using rollchart navigation this is a hard task to accomplish while riding. Most of the time I have to stop and do it because the buttons are so stiff its hard to press both buttons with only one hand and you still have to hold it down while trying to ride the bike. Having to do this just makes me SOOOO LAZY to use the rollchart, I had to do this like a gazillion times on the TAT. You'd think they could make it so it'd only require one button and you hold it down to reset it, that would be manageable.

What I would like is a handlebar mounted button to reset the trip. Is there anything like that out there?

I do know Trailtech sells something called the Striker that has a "rally mode" which pretty much is a rally computer. You have a buy a separate handlebar button that has 3 buttons on it. This lets you adjust the trip up or down for deviations and to rest it I think. I would totally buy this if it had the tachometer function the vapor does but it does not. It would be nice to have the voltage meter. Literally it's like you trade the voltmeter for tachometer on both models Why can't they have one unit that has EVERYTHING.

So I was thinking is there another gauge out there that can do everything I mentioned. Or a separate gauge I can install in addition to the vapor that has a handlebar mounted switch?

What does everyone use that use rollcharts?
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
We used an ICO rally computer with a remote switch in the Mexican 1000. Worked perfectly. You can see the switch pod on the left handle bar. You can also see which roll chart we used. It has a remote fwd/reverse switch that is not in the picture.
There were quite a few racers that didn't use roll charts though. I saw lots of Iphones and Ipads.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sgw0z5umr..._2514.JPG?dl=0
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/

Last edited by dravnx; 01-22-2019 at 08:01 AM..
dravnx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Rugged little waterproof voltmeters are cheap enough and easy enough to mount if you need one. I've had excellent results with the $9.00 ones on Ebay. The wires are a bit flimsy but some application of your favorite goop where they exit the meter and good connections are all they need.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
Maybe get an old ICO Checkmate? I'd forget the tach and anything else you don't need, just keep it simple.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
We used an ICO rally computer with a remote switch in the Mexican 1000. Worked perfectly. You can see the switch pod on the left handle bar. You can also see which roll chart we used. It has a remote fwd/reverse switch that is not in the picture.
There were quite a few racers that didn't use roll charts though. I saw lots of Iphones and Ipads.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sgw0z5umr..._2514.JPG?dl=0
O_O wow that is massive and legit yeah I prefer to use a GPS for navigation. I think that is overkill for what I need it for. I don't have much room, I could add a tiny gauge if needed or replace the Vapor.

I think what I will try is a bicycle computer. I have one or more like I had one because I lost it on a recent ride a Sigma bike computer. I just need a very simple one that is easy to read and resettable. This one has on button to reset, hold it down and it resets everything. I'll have to make sure and zip tie it to the handlebar so I don't lose it like I did on my ZR7. Only drawbacks to this are I gotta run another sensor and maybe mount another magnet. It has no backlight so no rollchart nav at night. Also it battery powered so gotta change the battery after a year or something. I have 3 speedos and trip meters on the bike HAH 4 if you count the GPS. But hey it handy to have extra, fuel, trip total, section mileage all at a glance.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
I used a bicycle computer on my DR350 (plated dirt) for quite some time... unfortunately, it just didn't hold up in the long term.

For general dual sporting, it worked fine. Actually riding off road? Tore the very fine gauge wire three times, and haven't bothered to repair it a fourth time. Even with careful wrapping and routing, it just didn't stand up to the long travel of the fork, along with a few get offs.

Wireless sensors have come way down in price, and are probably worth a try. You should be able to tuck one far enough inside of the fork to keep it away from typical impacts. Maybe a combo of safety wire, along with a little bit of RTV.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
zelig
black 'tard heroine

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM GSF1250S
Name:
Have you considered the gauge unit from the DRZ400(s/sm)? It's got two tripmeters which can count both up and down. (I don't use mine for rallying; I just struggle to reset it whenever I refuel or change the oil.)
zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #8
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Hmm DRZ400 maybe if I can find one display cluster on ebay. I wonder how compatible it would be with the DR650.

I ordered the bike computer for now we'll see how that turns out. I am worried about was Kestrel says that it won't be able to withstand the rigors of off-road use. Maybe I should have gotten the wireless one =P I don't know even know if I'll be able to find a place to mount it we'll see.

I know a lot of modern bikes have easy to reset trip meters like BMWs, Triumphs the DR650 is so bare bones when it comes to instrumentation.

Another thing I thought about is to wire buttons to the trailtech but I'd have to open it up and do some soldering I don't really want to do that but that could work. Maybe find a switch that would push the 2 buttons at the same time.