Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
zammer
Tripler

AMA #3004877
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '09 Triumph Street Triple R, '07 GSXR-750 (Track)
Name:
2007 GSXR 750 Chain length / Swingarm length

Hey Folks,

Track bike 2007 GSXR 750 that I bought with a 15 tooth front sprocket, stock rear. That's 2 teeth short on the front.

As I replaced the chain this weekend I noticed that it was a link shorter than the stock length one I bought from sprocket center. It's always had the adjusters set pretty far to the front (maybe 1" of adjuster). Now it's set pretty close to the back, maybe 80% of the way out.

I'm wondering what's the typical track guidance on these bikes for wheelbase and if I should go back and cut a link off to match how it was before. I know longer = more stable, less wheelie prone.. but never felt like it was particularly wheelie prone in the first place.

Thoughts?
zammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
It's gonna stretch, or get longer, as time goes on. If it's at the limits of adjustability brand new, it's too long.
295566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
zammer
Tripler

AMA #3004877
1% Contributor

Name:
I think there's enough there to account for stretching of the chain. More concerned about handling - some race prep setups prefer them all the way out or in to better complement handling characteristics of that particular geometry.

More wondering if I'll notice or care.

Last edited by zammer; 02-10-2019 at 06:41 PM..
Old 02-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
Hooli
Dammit Bobby

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Yep.
Name: El Jefe
GSXR's generally like a long wheelbase (adjusters fully back), and raised ride heights front and rear. Keep in mind that the further back the rear axle is, the "softer" the back end will feel due to the greater leverage it has on the shock.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant AFM #677 Craig Hightower AFM#868 Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM #13 Miri/Lylith
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
uve ridden both setups. which one do u like more? which one is faster?

IMO, run it as long as u can stand. theres more time to be gained in fast corners because they are generally very long. extra stability should help u gain time in those corners. also, a longer swingarm flattens the squat curve which can help with rear grip and can reduce tire wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
It's gonna stretch, or get longer, as time goes on. If it's at the limits of adjustability brand new, it's too long.
not for a race bike. race chains get replaced long before they stretch noticeably. and u dont plan your setup based on what could go wrong - u plan it based on whats fastest.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
zammer
Tripler

AMA #3004877
1% Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
uve ridden both setups. which one do u like more? which one is faster?

IMO, run it as long as u can stand. theres more time to be gained in fast corners because they are generally very long. extra stability should help u gain time in those corners. also, a longer swingarm flattens the squat curve which can help with rear grip and can reduce tire wear.

not for a race bike. race chains get replaced long before they stretch noticeably. and u dont plan your setup based on what could go wrong - u plan it based on whats fastest.
Just put it on, haven't ridden it. It was pretty close to the front before but here it is now, has 2 tick marks yet behind the adjuster:

https://imgur.com/a/u8ljoRe

Bike is pretty high up right now (+15mm front, +8mm rear (at shock)) which has greatly lessened how much I need to wrestle it around the track. I finally enjoyed the setup last fall... after I started pushing it a little harder the bike came into it's own. At stock geometry it was like wrestling a bear.

Just wondering if I'm going to even notice what's basically 1 link length difference as a mid A group rider.

Last edited by zammer; 02-10-2019 at 07:54 PM..
Old 02-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
thats not long. u can still see some of the slot at the back. thats in the middle.

id bet that ull notice a difference. a longer chain ~= 16mm of axle adjustment. 1 tooth ~= 4mm of adjustment. i can feel 1 tooth if i make the change in btw sessions. a longer chain is 4x that and can likely be felt by anyone in A group.

random thing: u are running 15/45 on a 750? that seems awfully short. i run 15/43 or 44 on my 600s. your gear ratios are only a tiny bit longer but u have quite a bit less rpm to play with. so u are probably forced to run really high rpms into corners, which kills corner speed. have u tried going taller?
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 02-10-2019 at 08:15 PM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
zammer
Tripler

AMA #3004877
1% Contributor

Name:
So it's a stock chain with 2 down in the front, so that makes it 8mm back from stock, correct? Dunno if I'll like it or not but I'll run it for a weekend and see. When I said back I meant on the adjustment ticks not the slot, but good to know this isn't considered inordinately far back or anything.

Yeah, figured that would come up. I know people will say I'm slow but I never hit sixth on this bike. I max out fifth at t-hill and I actually like the shifting. I figured I'd drop one or two in the back at some point just for giggles and see but it doesn't bother me.

It's a weird bike overall.. I think the guy who had it before was a total dipshit. Lots of weird crap like that. Showbike with lots of bling but minimal thought for legit track mods... standard gsxr poser bro I guess.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #9
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by zammer View Post
So it's a stock chain with 2 down in the front, so that makes it 8mm back from stock, correct? Dunno if I'll like it or not but I'll run it for a weekend and see. When I said back I meant on the adjustment ticks not the slot, but good to know this isn't considered inordinately far back or anything.

Yeah, figured that would come up. I know people will say I'm slow but I never hit sixth on this bike. I max out fifth at t-hill and I actually like the shifting. I figured I'd drop one or two in the back at some point just for giggles and see but it doesn't bother me.

It's a weird bike overall.. I think the guy who had it before was a total dipshit. Lots of weird crap like that. Showbike with lots of bling but minimal thought for legit track mods... standard gsxr poser bro I guess.
15 45 is a good gearing. Thill probably works better with 15/45, and Sears Point with 15/46, oddly enough. That's due to the shift points mostly. That drive out of T2 and T6 is super important. I almost never use sixth gear, you really need a massive drive out of T15 at Thill to make it worthwhile. I have both sprockets but am too lazy to ever use the 46 and prefer the longer wheel base.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
zammer
Tripler

AMA #3004877
1% Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
15 45 is a good gearing. Thill probably works better with 15/45, and Sears Point with 15/46, oddly enough. That's due to the shift points mostly. That drive out of T2 and T6 is super important. I almost never use sixth gear, you really need a massive drive out of T15 at Thill to make it worthwhile. I have both sprockets but am too lazy to ever use the 46 and prefer the longer wheel base.
Interesting - I've thought forever it was a weird quirk that happens to work for me. I haven't seen anyone else run a -2/0 setup but glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks it works.

As always thanks for all your help.