Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
MoldTheClay
Veteran
 
MoldTheClay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Castro Valley
Motorcycles: 2012 Kawisexy Ninja 1000
Name: Joe
Idle fluctuates while warming up. 2012 ninja 1000

Lately my idle has been fluctuating a bit while it warms up, almost like it thinks it has hit proper idle temperature and then goes "aww shit actually no" and goes back to the usual warm up revs.

Once I am all warmed up and toasty the bike idles normally, however. Anything I should look into here? My mind goes to thermostat but I'm sure more seasoned folks can tell me that I am wrong. Since it is running normally once warmed up and isn't throwing any error lights at me, I am not terribly concerned yet. Figured it's worth asking on here though.

Last edited by MoldTheClay; 02-01-2019 at 05:32 PM..
MoldTheClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Junkie
re-tarded
 
Junkie's Avatar
 
Contributor + 3%

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alameda
Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
I wouldn't expect the thermostat to do that.

The temp sensor maybe, or it could be that the fast idle control is sticking some so it goes too far and then goes back.

Does this happen starting immediately or does it take a while before it starts doing it?
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
msethhunter
Veteran
 
msethhunter's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SoCal
Motorcycles: '98 VTR1000F, she's a fatty! '89 YSR 50 with a 150, she said "it's so cute!"
Name: Mikey
I've seen thermostats do exactly that. The spring starts to wear out, and they become much more sensitive to minor temperature changes, and open/close more rapidly.

With that said, I wouldn't worry about it to much. I'm pretty sure your thermostat will fail open.
__________________
I may seem like an asshole, but I'm mostly just a sarcastically driven prick. It's not personal.
msethhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #4
afm199
Veteran
 
afm199's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oaklamd
Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldTheClay View Post
Lately my idle has been fluctuating a bit while it warms up, almost like it thinks it has hit proper idle temperature and then goes "aww shit actually no" and goes back to the usual warm up revs.

Once I am all warmed up and toasty the bike idles normally, however. Anything I should look into here? My mind goes to thermostat but I'm sure more seasoned folks can tell me that I am wrong. Since it is running normally once warmed up and isn't throwing any error lights at me, I am not terribly concerned yet. Figured it's worth asking on here though.
Why in the world are you warming up a bike? Today's FI bikes are made to be ridden almost instantly after starting. Warming them up does nothing, and the computer will change the idle at various points. You're wasting gas and if you have a pipe, pissing off your neighbors.
__________________
That's not true! The lie is actually the truth! I know. Lots of people know this.
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
MoldTheClay
Veteran
 
MoldTheClay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Castro Valley
Motorcycles: 2012 Kawisexy Ninja 1000
Name: Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Why in the world are you warming up a bike? Today's FI bikes are made to be ridden almost instantly after starting. Warming them up does nothing, and the computer will change the idle at various points. You're wasting gas and if you have a pipe, pissing off your neighbors.
I am not warming it up, it just starts out at a higher rpm while it warms up. Just started noticing it happen recently though where the rpm fluctuates. Once it is warm everything seems good to go though.

Thanks for the replies though, kind of confirms my "nothing to worry about" suspicion.
MoldTheClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
MoldTheClay
Veteran
 
MoldTheClay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Castro Valley
Motorcycles: 2012 Kawisexy Ninja 1000
Name: Joe
Update: Noticed the coolant reservoir was bone dry. Whoops.

Topped it off back to full and turned her back on and the weird fluctuations were more or less gone.

Maybe I had air pockets in the coolant system and that fucked with the water temperature sensor?
MoldTheClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
afm199
Veteran
 
afm199's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oaklamd
Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldTheClay View Post
Update: Noticed the coolant reservoir was bone dry. Whoops.

Topped it off back to full and turned her back on and the weird fluctuations were more or less gone.

Maybe I had air pockets in the coolant system and that fucked with the water temperature sensor?
Radiator or reservoir? filling that with water didn't fix anything. Always start by filling the radiator with fluid. That water in the reservoir can't get into the radiator until the system is up to full temp. Also, it's not uncommon for those to be empty.
__________________
That's not true! The lie is actually the truth! I know. Lots of people know this.
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #8
MoldTheClay
Veteran
 
MoldTheClay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Castro Valley
Motorcycles: 2012 Kawisexy Ninja 1000
Name: Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Radiator or reservoir? filling that with water didn't fix anything. Always start by filling the radiator with fluid. That water in the reservoir can't get into the radiator until the system is up to full temp. Also, it's not uncommon for those to be empty.
filled radiator cap then reservoir.
MoldTheClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
afm199
Veteran
 
afm199's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oaklamd
Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldTheClay View Post
filled radiator cap then reservoir.
How much? Unless the radiator took a pint or two, it wouldn't matter.
__________________
That's not true! The lie is actually the truth! I know. Lots of people know this.
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #10
seadog
Veteran
 
seadog's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Benicia
Motorcycles: sport, naked, track, dual sport, sport touring
Name: Kurt
Well, now that your idle is not fluctuating, why was the coolant low?

Isn't wrenching on bikes fun?

I topped up my coolant reservoir on the Wee today. Had to remove every freaking piece of plastic forward of the fuel tank just so I could lift up the tank to add coolant. I was swearing the whole time. And I was a sailor and I'm still a merchantman so I can get pretty damn creative. It was easier to add coolant to my gixxer than to the Wee. I'm still pissed. Rant over.
seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
msethhunter
Veteran
 
msethhunter's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SoCal
Motorcycles: '98 VTR1000F, she's a fatty! '89 YSR 50 with a 150, she said "it's so cute!"
Name: Mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog View Post
Well, now that your idle is not fluctuating, why was the coolant low?

Isn't wrenching on bikes fun?

I topped up my coolant reservoir on the Wee today. Had to remove every freaking piece of plastic forward of the fuel tank just so I could lift up the tank to add coolant. I was swearing the whole time. And I was a sailor and I'm still a merchantman so I can get pretty damn creative. It was easier to add coolant to my gixxer than to the Wee. I'm still pissed. Rant over.
You either need a hug, or eat a Snickers?
__________________
I may seem like an asshole, but I'm mostly just a sarcastically driven prick. It's not personal.
msethhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.