Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
Curt
Rookie

Motorcycles: yzf-r6
Name:
SF Superior Court TBWD: not guilty vs. dismissed

Just got results of a TBWD back for speeding CVC 22350, results: Not Guilty.

The options were: guilty, not-guilty, dismissed.

However, dismissed was not checked and I did not receive the statement from plaintiff. Does this mean it was never submitted? In that case I'd think it'd have dismissed checked off and not, not-guilty.

Anyone know how SF Superior Court marks not-guilty vs. dismissed? Also would it be possible to get a copy of plaintiff statement if available

https://i.imgur.com/Ef5FQCd.png

Last edited by Curt; 02-14-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:20 AM   #2
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
If this is a traffic ticket, then there isn't a plaintiff, there is a prosecutor. Very different.

The prosecution does not make a statement. They present evidence such as witness statements such as the officer that cited you.

I doubt you can get a copy of what was stated in the Court because there is no Court Reporter. There may or may not be witness statements presented in Court as testimony or as written statements entered as evidence.

Since you did trial by written declaration, the trial is all on paper.

The only way to get any more info, go to that Court and ask the clerk to see the file and see what is there.

Not sure why it matters. Not guilty is better than dismissed, IMO

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
Curt
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
If this is a traffic ticket, then there isn't a plaintiff, there is a prosecutor. Very different.

The prosecution does not make a statement. They present evidence such as witness statements such as the officer that cited you.

I doubt you can get a copy of what was stated in the Court because there is no Court Reporter. There may or may not be witness statements presented in Court as testimony or as written statements entered as evidence.

Since you did trial by written declaration, the trial is all on paper.

The only way to get any more info, go to that Court and ask the clerk to see the file and see what is there.

Not sure why it matters. Not guilty is better than dismissed, IMO
Yeah I'm just curious if the other party submitted any evidence or if I won from my case
Old 02-15-2019, 04:07 AM   #4
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Yeah I'm just curious if the other party submitted any evidence or if I won from my case
Like stated above, there is no plaintiff. The state was prosecuting you for a crime. In a TBWD, the officer who cited you is prosecuting for the state.

I'd say dismissed would be for such things like the officer did not respond, so the court dismissed for a lack of prosecution. Or, it could be something like the officer somehow realizing, after the fact, that the citation was issued in error, and the violation did not actually occur. They could request the court dismiss the citation. Or maybe the court finds that you did, in fact, commit a violation, but due to the circumstances they are deciding to dismiss the charge in the interest of justice. I've seen this happen in court.

In fact, I remember a time it happened to me. I stopped a vehicle in a well lit downtown area for a driver with no lights during darkness. I usually don't cite for that, but the driver gave me such an attitude that I formed the belief that a warning simply wouldn't fix the problem. So he got an attitude cite. He took it to court and he couldn't even keep his cool in front of the judge. The judge commented how he could understand why the officer had cited the guy. He found that the guy did, in fact, violate the law, but he dismissed the charge in the interest of justice.

Not guilty means the court weighed the evidence and written testimony and decided that you were not guilty of the offense, or that reasonable doubt existed as to guilt. I would assume that means the officer did reply to the TBWD. The results are the same, but I agree, not guilty is better than dismissed. You won. I wouldn't worry about it.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
Curt
Rookie

Name:
huge sigh of relief then and surprised I got off on a 15+ over 30 especially if officer responded
Old 02-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Plus when you ask the court for all that crap after getting off, they assign 0.5 points to your DL for the hassle.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Plus when you ask the court for all that crap after getting off, they assign 0.5 points to your DL for the hassle.

Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
huge sigh of relief then and surprised I got off on a 15+ over 30 especially if officer responded
It is also possible that the officer did not respond, so the court found not guilty.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
ABC
Veteran

AMA #:2770635
Contributor +

Motorcycles: !
Name: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
what about if you have a cdl?
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:35 AM   #10
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Yep
I know there are judges in the bay area who will suspend a person's license for a week or 2 if they get a ~90mph ticket, try to fight it, and are found guilty.
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #11
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
I know there are judges in the bay area who will suspend a person's license for a week or 2 if they get a ~90mph ticket, try to fight it, and are found guilty.
I know of such a judge also...
Old 02-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #12
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
I don't follow. If one's license is getting a couple weeks on the beach- haven't they (moments before) been found guilty?
Old 02-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #13
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
He's saying that if someone shows up to fight it and is found guilty, they'll get suspended when they wouldn't have been if they just paid it.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #14
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Yep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
He's saying that if someone shows up to fight it and is found guilty, they'll get suspended when they wouldn't have been if they just paid it.

101mph code has a stipulation that your license may be suspended for up to 30 days. Nothing in the code says that for under that speed.
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #15
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Ah- thanks.