Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #31
dkcwenge
Mission Peak

Motorcycles: .
Name: Danny
bump! can we make this a sticky? i knew this thread existed and had to hunt for it a bit
Old 09-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #32
MikeyRocks
Free Dickbutt

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2006 GSXR 2011 VRSCDX
Name: Mike
Just replaced my stator, which was roasted, and I'm only getting 11.8-12.2 when the bike is running, which means it's still not charging the bike. Is it possible that my R/R also needs to be replaced? Or did I buy a faulty stator?

Sidenote rant: Just spent 2 1/2 hours trying to swap out the stator, and when I finished, I took the bike for a test ride. Came back, and noticed one of the bolts was loose and leaking a bit of oil, so I go to tighten it, and the bolt broke. Now I have to open it up again to take out the broken bolt. FML

Last edited by MikeyRocks; 09-01-2012 at 04:31 PM..
MikeyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #33
Stormdragon
Still Good Lookin'

Contributor +++ artist and BB

Motorcycles: XT600, ZX636, KR250, RS90
Name: El Diablo
You need to test the stator, separately from the R/R, to know. Time to break out the service manual.

Dirt, diesel, or deer. You've got to plan for the unexpected.

---Me
Stormdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
cschew
Rookie

Motorcycles: f4i
Name: Collin
This might be useful! It's a flow chart. I think I'm having a charging problem too ((((((((

http://www.crowitis.com/images/fault_finding.pdf
cschew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #35
Erbuck
Power Lurker

Contributor

Motorcycles: A red one or a yellow one
Name: Eric
Fuse Buddy

Anyone ever used one of these? Looks like its a ammeter with a special attachment for fuses, but could be just the tool for someone troubleshooting current drain.....

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE4Q8gIwAA
Attached Images

Erbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #36
om4
Rookie

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 955is3, m900sie, sbk999
Name:
mosfet

Just swapped out the old RR with a Mosfet type (Shindengen FH020AA) on my 999. The stock RR was buried in the battery box near the front header, and being the Shunt type, it was getting very hot and unstable. Made a simple aluminum holder and secured it on the horn bracket mounts. Now it's running cooler with consistency in charging voltage! Thanks for the great info referred in this thread

om4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #37
latindane
Learner. EuroPW, NaPS

Contributor++

Motorcycles: 02 RSV Mille street, 07 GSX-R750 track
Name: K
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschew View Post
This might be useful! It's a flow chart. I think I'm having a charging problem too ((((((((

http://www.crowitis.com/images/fault_finding.pdf
Nice. Just printed it out. Battery fully charged, service manual, multimeter and battery charger in backpack, on my way to the garage. Thanks Alan for the thread, mods for stickying and Collin for the flowchart. Wish me luck!

The BARF store Contribute to BARF BARF Terms of Service (TOS) Need I say it? I
Please link your videos as well.
latindane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #38
the donald
Veteran

Motorcycles: 03 GSX-R 600.
Name:
so what equals a short trip? i ride 3.5 miles each way riding around 6k RPMs.
the donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #39
channelcat
Banned

Contributor

Motorcycles: Gumby, Pokey, and...Serena
Name: Tony H.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donald View Post
so what equals a short trip? i ride 3.5 miles each way riding around 6k RPMs.
not sure here, but I think how many times you need to light your stoplight, turn signals, etc. has a contributing effect.

I was wondering if there is any truth to the rumor that connecting a meter in parallel from the negative terminal to the case ground, showing current above that required for whatever memory, clock functions, etc. the bike has could be a tip off to a short, if the stator tests come back negative.
Also, to point out, in older bikes, yeah, its me here, connectors and wires in the charging circuit with any corrosion, gudge, broken wires, etc. might impede the battery from receiving full voltage. just my 2 cents.
channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #40
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by om4 View Post
Just swapped out the old RR with a Mosfet type (Shindengen FH020AA) on my 999. The stock RR was buried in the battery box near the front header, and being the Shunt type, it was getting very hot and unstable. Made a simple aluminum holder and secured it on the horn bracket mounts. Now it's running cooler with consistency in charging voltage! Thanks for the great info referred in this thread

And excellent modification to make and well executed as well.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
D'Ecosse
Veteran

Motorcycles: Triumph Daytona 955i
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMardy View Post
Great info on charging system and R/R's here as well:
http://eviltwinsbk.com/forumz/index.php?topic=276.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbuck View Post
Here's a detailed, but useful link:

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...r-upgrade.html

Its Triumph specific, but there's useful info to be had.

I don't know the guy who wrote it (lives in Pleasanton).
Those are both authored by me.
Please note that on the T'Rat thread, I have just added (today) a new reference on Series Regulators. For those bike models that are prone to high incidence of stator failures, a Series Regulator should definitely be a prime consideration.
There are two readily available on the market:
The Shindengen SH755 is same form factor as the MOSFET FH012/020 Regulators - although the SH775 is SCR is a hugely different animal from OEM SCR SHUNT Regulators, so don't be put off by fact is not MOSFET.
This device is used as OEM equipment on Polaris ATV/Utility vehicles. Cost new can be had for under $70
The Compufire 55402 is purely after-market device (primarily aimed at Harley market) - this device is well-proven in the field in several applications where there is known to be high incidence of stator fails.

Bottom line is that the stator reliability will be greatly improved by utilizing a Series vs Shunt Regulator.

The very simplest test for a failed stator is to check resistance (isolation actually) between any one (doesn't matter which - all will measure the same, either good or bad) of the three stator terminals to engine ground: there should be isolation i.e. infinite resistance or open circuit - NOT Short
If you measure short (or any resistance really) then stator is burned.
Invariably most stators will read short when they burn as the winding insulation is fried and they will short to the core.
A short is 100% certainty stator is bad.
Isolation is not a guarantee of 'good' however excellent odds that it is.
To confirm (only if passes the isolation test) start bike with stator disconnected from R/R - measure AC Volts between the three possible combinations of pins i.e. 1-2, 2-3, 3-1 (does not matter which you call 1, 2 & 3) - all three should be the same at any given constant engine rpm (easiest to do at idle since the speed will be constant) If one reading is noticably lower than the other two, that phase is suspect.
Again, normally if it passes the isolation test it will also pass the voltage test.
If fails the isolation, don't even bother doing the voltage test.

Good Luck!

p.s. I specialize in Motorcycle Electrics Diagnosis/Repair - if anyone in Bay Area needs help in that regard please PM me.

Last edited by D'Ecosse; 08-19-2013 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: typo
D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #42
the donald
Veteran

Motorcycles: 03 GSX-R 600.
Name:
this one seems odd to me. 03 gsxr 600.

my bike struggles to start. everything appears fine, i just have to push the button REALLY hard, and then it starts right up.

i just had my charging system changed, and the bike was fine, about a week later this started.
the donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #43
D'Ecosse
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donald View Post
.... my bike struggles to start. everything appears fine, i just have to push the button REALLY hard, and then it starts right up.... .
That would be unrelated to charging system - sounds like your starter switch contacts are possibly burned or corroded.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #44
Ironbutt
Loves the anecdotal

AMA #: 2880504
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yamasaki
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ecosse View Post

p.s. I specialize in Motorcycle Electrics Diagnosis/Repair - if anyone in Bay Area needs help in that regard please PM me.
It's not often we see such well articulated posts about electrical problems; I think this earns you a 'BARF diagnostician' crown.

The crown isn't protective head gear so be careful riding with it.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #45
D'Ecosse
Veteran

Name:
Thanks Ironbutt - appreciated.

A piece of equipment I would definitely recommend is some type of voltage monitoring device.
My personal preference and endorsement goes to the Sparkbright LED monitor
http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/products.html

It is inexpensive, tiny / relatively unobtrusive but gives you all the information you need for reassurance your generating system is functioning as it should.
My personal choice is the 5mm size - it's really small, ideal for bike use without having a big 'beacon' on your dash.
(the main product page says 8 or 10, but the 5mm is also available when you go to the buy info page)

He now has a new product he calls the Eclipse which is auto-dimming - reduced intensity for lower ambient light conditions so it is bright enough for daytime, but automatically reduces to avoid overwhelming glare at night. Nice feature & is automatic!

I have no affiliation with Sparkbright, just a happy customer. I have them on both my street bikes.

Last edited by D'Ecosse; 01-16-2014 at 06:22 PM..
D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote