Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Best of BARF


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #196
papa911
Veteran
 
papa911's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nevada City,CA
Motorcycles: XT250
Name:
Thanks again for helping ALL motorcyclists in CA and hopefully beyond.
papa911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #197
Dr. Evil
Mother of God.
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somewhere over Macho Grande
Motorcycles: '99 BMW R1100R (Ozzy)
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
I notice that the term "lane splitting" is used rather than "lane sharing".

Does that mean that I won't get corrected on BARF if I use "splitting" rather than "sharing" in the future?
I noticed this myself. In the past, it has seemed like all the traffic authorities have (no disrespect intended) had their hands clamped firmly over their ears, going "LALALALA LANESPLITTING WHAT'S THAT, THERE'S ONLY LANE *SHARING* HERE LALALALA..."

Nice to see them on board with the colloquialism.
__________________
You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be. -- VAdm. James Stockdale, USN
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #198
Marcoose
50-50
 
Marcoose's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Beach, SF
Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
Does that mean that I won't get corrected on BARF?
You're funny!

You used "that" twice in the same sentence. And a passive voice sentence too. Bad, bad, bad.

__________________
With Gratitude: • BRG Racing • BTRmoto • Catalyst Reaction • Dave Moss • Fastline • GP Frame & Wheel • Moto Guild • NTP Bikes • Shawn Keene •
Marcoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #199
silversvs
Lean, Twist, repeat.....
 
silversvs's Avatar
 
BARF Admin / 2010 Barfie Winner
Founding Member
Contributor +++++++++++ BB

Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tracy
Motorcycles: ~ 09 BMW RT1200P ~ 05 FJR1300 ~
Name: Lincoln 82
And now you can add the Office of Traffic Safety

http://www.ots.ca.gov/lanesplittingg...guidelines.pdf
__________________
Don't let your right wrist outride your common sense!

Looking for a great dog? I raise Vizslas. PM for info. Next litter due in November.www.ddranchvizslas.com
silversvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #200
Marcoose
50-50
 
Marcoose's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Beach, SF
Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
"Not illegal"
__________________
With Gratitude: • BRG Racing • BTRmoto • Catalyst Reaction • Dave Moss • Fastline • GP Frame & Wheel • Moto Guild • NTP Bikes • Shawn Keene •
Marcoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #201
Chill
Je Suis BARF
 
Chill's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2815984
BARF Moderator
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++
Toilet Paper Warrior

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: East Bay
Motorcycles: Tuono
Name: Christian
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNoHurry View Post
"Not illegal"
Yes, repetition is good. Say it again. Lane splitting is not illegal. Repeat.

Quote:
Messages for Other Vehicle Drivers
1) Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.
2) Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.
3) Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).
4) Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).
5) Never drive while distracted.
6) You can help keep motorcyclists and all road users safe by:
- Checking mirrors and blind spots, especially before changing lanes or turning
- Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic
- Allowing more following distance, three or four seconds, when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency
__________________
The Politics of Riding

Rally Threads!

Not my time… this time - Moments in time and chance
Be a BARF Contributor
Work on your bike, damnit.

"Someone once told me that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. What a moron." - ilikemotorcycle

"So stop shitting in the hot tub. And stop complaining that you can't shit in the hot tub." - Charles R


BARF Terms of Service
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #202
summitdog
Motorcycle Lawyer
 
summitdog's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: GSXR 50, GSXR 400, CBR 400, VFR 400, GS 750, Honda XVL600 (Transalp), KTM 950 Super Enduro
Name: Scotty
Thanks to everyone who has been working on this.

If you ever want the voice of an attorney that spends almost as much time in traffic court as the Chippies, don't hesitate to contact me.

In regards to impeding a motorcyclist, I have had the personal injury client who had the door opened on him by the driver of a car. The driver was an out-of-stater who was "honked off" that the motorcyclist was moving through traffic faster than he was.

Scotty
__________________
General Disclaimer: Nothing in the above posting is intended as, nor should it be construed as, legal advice.
Every situation has a particular nuance that needs to be considered individually.
If you believe you need legal advice, please seek out an attorney.

Scotty Storey, Attorneys at Law
247 North Third Street, San Jose, CA 95112
408-920-6300 / 800-264-4379
sstorey@scottystorey.com
Former AFM Secretary of the Board and Race #733
summitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #203
Flash_beezy
Rookie
 
Flash_beezy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Clara
Motorcycles: 2015 Triumph Street triple
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitdog View Post
Thanks to everyone who has been working on this.

If you ever want the voice of an attorney that spends almost as much time in traffic court as the Chippies, don't hesitate to contact me.

In regards to impeding a motorcyclist, I have had the personal injury client who had the door opened on him by the driver of a car. The driver was an out-of-stater who was "honked off" that the motorcyclist was moving through traffic faster than he was.

Scotty
Some chump in his beemer nearly ran me into the next lane today ( The space I had mysteriously became non-existent) ..wanted to give him a piece of my mind..but I was better then that and kept riding..
__________________
1992 Toyota Land Cruiser
2014 Chevy SS
1972 Yamaha CT-2 Enduro
2015 Triumph Street triple
Flash_beezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #204
Marcoose
50-50
 
Marcoose's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Beach, SF
Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Yes, repetition is good. Say it again. Lane splitting is not illegal. Repeat.
It strikes me as odd, Christian, that the wording is "not illegal". Why not "legal"? I doubt it's a mere case of splitting hairs over semantics. There are dozens and dozens of actions simply prescribed as legal or illegal. Black in white. Why isn't lane sharing simply "legal"? That's odd.
__________________
With Gratitude: • BRG Racing • BTRmoto • Catalyst Reaction • Dave Moss • Fastline • GP Frame & Wheel • Moto Guild • NTP Bikes • Shawn Keene •
Marcoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #205
Surj
Uneasy Rider
 
Surj's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oakland, CA
Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNoHurry View Post
It strikes me as odd, Christian, that the wording is "not illegal". Why not "legal"? I doubt it's a mere case of splitting hairs over semantics. There are dozens and dozens of actions simply prescribed as legal or illegal. Black in white. Why isn't lane sharing simply "legal"? That's odd.
Maybe because drivers say things like "Isn't that lllegal?!?" or "That should be illegal?!"

But several non-moto folks who have looked at the guidelines have thought it was was weird. One even thought it said "not legal."

I say legal.
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #206
boney
Miles > Posts
 
boney's Avatar
 
AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sonoma
Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyneck View Post
Maybe because drivers say things like "Isn't that lllegal?!?" or "That should be illegal?!"

But several non-moto folks who have looked at the guidelines have thought it was was weird. One even thought it said "not legal."

I say legal.
I forget the term for it. It's probably Latin... Basically, everything in the state is not illegal unless it is specifically made so, or specifically made legal. So, if there isn't a law for it or against it, it's "not illegal."

Let's see if I can give an example and get it right;
It is illegal to run a red light. That is, if the stop light is red you may not proceed into the intersection. That makes it illegal. However, it is specifically legal to proceed through the red light if you're making a right turn, you stopped behind the limit line first, and there is no traffic. That's the difference between legal, and illegal.

Since lane sharing has no laws on the books, it is neither legal nor illegal.

My head hurts.
__________________
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #207
rodr
IBA # 56746
 
rodr's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oz
Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNoHurry View Post
It strikes me as odd, Christian, that the wording is "not illegal". Why not "legal"? I doubt it's a mere case of splitting hairs over semantics. There are dozens and dozens of actions simply prescribed as legal or illegal. Black in white. Why isn't lane sharing simply "legal"? That's odd.
That which is not illegal is legal, so I would just say "legal".

I suspect in the case of lane sharing the expression "not illegal" came about to emphasize that it's not specifically addressed in the CVC, and that it's on you if something bad happens. Hopefully the new policy will help to take that in a more positive direction.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #208
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide
 
DataDan's Avatar
 
BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Luis Obispo
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post
Some chump in his beemer nearly ran me into the next lane today ( The space I had mysteriously became non-existent) ..wanted to give him a piece of my mind..but I was better then that and kept riding..
Good for you.

Next time, assume you WON'T be seen, and avoid putting yourself in a position where you're vulnerable to a lane change.

A cut-off when a vehicle in one lane merges into the opposite lane across the splitting corridor is by far the most common lane-splitting mishap reported on BARF. Here are a few:
  1. crash on bay bridge today, withness needed
  2. Slowmof AKA soundwave8836 just got hit from lane spliting
  3. Almost took out a lanesplitter today
  4. Me vs Suburban
  5. Lane Split Accident
  6. 1 or more riders down
  7. Wreck on CA24
  8. Lesson learned: Don't be in such a hurry!
  9. Rider down on 24 in Lafayette.... It was me!
  10. Well, that sucked. (SoCalSportbikes)
  11. Minor Crash on 880
  12. Busting a lane position myth
  13. Went down this morning on 101 before 85 entrance.
  14. So I just got laid out on 101
  15. cut off on i-580 and i-238 on 10-7-2008
  16. Almost Thrown On 680
  17. Accident while lane splitting, verdict?
  18. Advice needed about what to do after moto vs cage mishap
  19. Hit By A Yukon on 880
  20. Could I have done something different
  21. Speed delta bites rider in ass
  22. Lucky or Good
  23. New riders please read, I had a close call.
  24. Hit by a mini-van
  25. Almost a crash story (OC Moto)
  26. 101 Crash today 09/16/ traffic snarled after Ignacio wrecks
  27. Lane Sharing Is Dangerous!
  28. Lane splitting discussion on Sacbee.com
  29. Be Careful (OC Moto)
  30. Spliting lanes causes motorcycle accidents! like today (OC Moto)
  31. Lane splitting discussion on Sacbee.com
  32. side-swiped..what to do? (OC Moto)
  33. Rider backboarded on EB 10 (OC Moto)
  34. **RIDER DOWN** BILL ( xdjexklusivex ) (OC Moto)
  35. got sandwiched while lane splitting
  36. Sigh.. Need Advice (OC Moto)
  37. Crashed again..... Argh!
  38. Side swiped on 101S this morning
  39. went down today
  40. Accident Fault Determination. Is It My Fault?
  41. minor accident on 101n

The relative safety of lane splitting comes from riding between two lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic. You don't have to rely on being seen because the presence of other vehicles keeps drivers in their lanes. But when a gap opens up in one lane, that protection is gone and you have to rely on drivers' expectation of a lane-splitting motorcycle and on their keen observation skills. Not a good chance to take.

Here are some tips for dealing with a gap while splitting:
  • Stay visually ahead of your situation so you know when you're approaching a gap.

  • Slow down as you near the gap. Reduced speed gives you two advantages: You spend more time in the driver's mirror field, so you're more likely to be seen, and your braking distance is reduced.

  • Don't expect a signal, don't rely on head movement, and don't fool yourself into thinking you're telepathic. A driver will jump into the gap without warning.

  • Approaching the gap, position yourself where they can't get you. Try to time your passage through it when you're "out of phase" with the adjacent lane. That is, when cars that could jump into the gap are either too far behind or too far ahead to change lanes.

  • As you enter the gap, occupy it and move away from the opposite lane. You gain space cushion that can protect you if another vehicle tries to occupy it too.
__________________
"Hate speech needs to be stopped, but there's quite a bit of content near the perimeter of hate speech that we need to address as well."
--Fascistbook "data science manager" surfing the slippery slope of speech policing
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #209
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army
 
Cincinnatus's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2818353
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor ++!

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: South Oaklamd
Motorcycles: Screaming yellow 2006 BMW K1200R, baby!
Name: SweeperBot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
That which is not illegal is legal, so I would just say "legal".

I suspect in the case of lane sharing the expression "not illegal" came about to emphasize that it's not specifically addressed in the CVC, and that it's on you if something bad happens. Hopefully the new policy will help to take that in a more positive direction.
It's the dichotomy of English Law vs. Napoleonic Law (see Louisiana & Nawlins ).

IANAL!!

However, my understanding is that English Law is basically that "everything NOT specified as illegal IS legal", and that Napoleonic Law is that "everything NOT permitted IS illegal".

Real lawyers (and those who play them on TV), please chime in and tell me I'm full of chit or otherwise.
__________________
Peter K
San Leandro, CA
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - President John F. Kennedy, Democrat
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #210
Poxy
Veteran
 
Poxy's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Laguna Beach
Motorcycles: Duc ST4s, Bandit 1200, BMW R100S
Name: Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Here are some tips for dealing with a gap while splitting:
  • Stay visually ahead of your situation so you know when you're approaching a gap.

  • Slow down as you near the gap. Reduced speed gives you two advantages: You spend more time in the driver's mirror field, so you're more likely to be seen, and your braking distance is reduced.

  • Don't expect a signal, don't rely on head movement, and don't fool yourself into thinking you're telepathic. A driver will jump into the gap without warning.

  • Approaching the gap, position yourself where they can't get you. Try to time your passage through it when you're "out of phase" with the adjacent lane. That is, when cars that could jump into the gap are either too far behind or too far ahead to change lanes.

  • As you enter the gap, occupy it and move away from the opposite lane. You gain space cushion that can protect you if another vehicle tries to occupy it too.
For those new to lane splitting, commit the above to memory!
It's all about "The Gap".
Poxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.