Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Old 02-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
MSHax
Drive fast & take chances

Motorcycles: Yes, and cars, truck, and a van. :)
Name: Rocky
I love SUVs

Let me start by saying that I am an SUV owner, I love having a large amount of space, and comfort. I do a lot of towing, and one of my SUVs is lifted with big tires so I can go off-roading, and play in the snow easily. So clearly this isn't a thread to bash SUVs, I wouldn't want to drive anything else. But.....

3 years ago a good friend was killed by a lady in a BMW X5, and in December a college friend of mine who lives in Florida was hit by a guy in a Kia SUV.

I've been hit 2 times on a motorcycle, and this is going to sound sexist, racist, and anti SUV, but it's JUST THE FACTS!!

Both times I was hit, it happen to be by Asian females, driving SUVs, getting into the carpool lane by themselves. I'm not kidding!! First time I was hit she changed lanes so quickly (because she thought she could get over before I was there) she hit me so hard I bounced off her expedition, and into the median. Second time I was hit she went slowly so I was able to grab her door since her window was down. That was fun, it was like a movie! I was holding on yelling at her while she screamed. Both times I was hit, I was lucky enough to walk away virtually unharmed, but this isn't about me, this is about my brother.

Since age 11 I've always had motorcycles, in most cases a minimum of 3 at a time. Being that I change my bikes out roughly every 15 months, now that I"m 41, that makes literally hundreds of bikes I've went through. I understand that being around someone long enough you start to pick up on their habits, it took 30 years but my brother picked up on mine.

Last year he went out and got his first bike. He's ridden many of mine, and has been riding for about a decade, but he bought HIS first bike. It wasn't even 1 month on his new bike when he was victim to a hit and run driver in an Explorer. His wrist was fractured in so many places he's wrapped in a cage to keep it all still, and both his leg, and his wrist have pins holding them together. Not sure about your write, but mine goes straight, I've attached a photo of my brothers, which happens to look like a "Z".

The good news:
Recovery is going great, and after a lawsuit, the insurance gave him enough to replace his mangled block of steel and aluminum.

The hindsight:
Everyone should avoid using Progressive Insurance, they love collecting money, but will fight TO THE DEATH not to pay it out.

The plea:
Like I said, I love my SUVs, I own 2. But if you own an SUV, or know anyone who does, PLEASE tell them to watch out for bikes. My GF is an Asian female who drives an SUV, so I'll watch out for her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	475258  

I never understood why people put the bikes they sold on their profile, it's not yours anymore. Plus, if us old guys did that it would be a book.
MSHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
dowlinginchico
Home Wrecker

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM 990 SD, Ducati 848 SF
Name: Derrick
I too have been hit by an SUV and went down at about 40 mph or so. Acura MDX. I feel the bigger the vehicle, the bigger the blind spot. Most of your points are very valid. In your statement I would have included trucks as well. My truck has a huge blind spot.

But the point is well taken and I will definitely spread the word to family and friends. My family already has a pact to put all distractions in a car away. They HATE me riding because they care for me and I am sure they will not mind adding this to their list of things to be careful of while caging.

I hope your brother heals quick! Glad the injuries were not more serious. That is one GNARLY break(s).
Old 02-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
My gf is Asian and if she's going to be driving on the freeway with me in the passenger seat I try to wear my motorcycle helmet.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Hoping everyone has a full recovery from their injuries! Sometimes in those cases it's worth lawyer-ing up - insurance may or may not get you what you need. Especially in major injuries, since things may show up after the fact....

Hopefully you'll never need it again, but there are several BARF sponsoring lawyers - personally a fan of RiderzLaw....

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Oh shite.

What a crazy pic.

Really sad to hear about the insurance BS. That sux.

Good luck to bro on healing quick.

I hope you got some sk$n off the peeps that hit you.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
Lolocastsb
Wisdom Dog

AMA #3283370
Contributor +

Motorcycles: airplane or cloud
Name:
The experience with Progressive was not a positive one?
Lolocastsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
MSHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolocastsb View Post
The experience with Progressive was not a positive one?
I had to hire a lawyer for my brother to sue Progressive, they denied his claim saying he was out of luck since it was a hit and run. Even though it was caught on video by a security camera at a house on the corner. Progressive has the most amount of horror stories from people who've filed claims, this is just one more in that dictionary sized complaint list. I switched over to state farm, everyone here seems to have great luck with them.

I never understood why people put the bikes they sold on their profile, it's not yours anymore. Plus, if us old guys did that it would be a book.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #8
phocup
Veteran

Contributor + + 6.5%

Motorcycles: 09 SVS
Name:
That picture looks horrible .. I'm sure it's even worse in person .. hope he heals up quickly.

Re: Insurance. What kind of coverage did your brother have ? I think in general in CA that, it is not allowed to use uninsured driver coverage in cases of hit and run since technically they don't know if the other driver is truly uninsured or not. It's a dumb technicality but not just a Progressive being d*cks thing. The camera catching the incident on video doesn't really help your brother's payout if it proves its a hit and run. Did they finally agree to pay out after the lawyer got involved ?

Last edited by phocup; 02-24-2016 at 10:20 PM..
phocup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:16 AM   #9
Jackson
Show me the way

Motorcycles: 04 XR650R, 03 RM250, 00 VFR 800, 16 XCF-W 350
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phocup View Post
That picture looks horrible .. I'm sure it's even worse in person .. hope he heals up quickly.

Re: Insurance. What kind of coverage did your brother have ? I think in general in CA that, it is not allowed to use uninsured driver coverage in cases of hit and run since technically they don't know if the other driver is truly uninsured or not. It's a dumb technicality but not just a Progressive being d*cks thing. The camera catching the incident on video doesn't really help your brother's payout if it proves its a hit and run. Did they finally agree to pay out after the lawyer got involved ?
Nice try Progressive.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #10
carries an axe
meat bone meat meat meat

BARF Moderator
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++++
The Roast in the Shell

Motorcycles: bone meat meat bone
Name: meat
Why is it always in X 5? Heal up Op!
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms - Thomas Jefferson
carries an axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #11
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Wow. Best of luck dealing with this.
I have Progressive and i think I will cancel them.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #12
RT_Russ
Half Fast at best......

Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Super Adventure, 01 R1100S
Name: Russ
My hopes for a full recovery to your brother. Mending is not fun but it beats not being g around D to be able to mend......

Hawk
RT_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
MSHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by phocup View Post

Yeah it was quite funny how they denied everything right up until the point when the lawyer sent them a letter. Suddenly they "wanted to help" but still didn't want to cover the cost of the bike or the physical therapy. That took an actual court appearance. The judge forced a payout of 20k, and all physical therapy costs. He's pretty jacked up, but is getting better. He's now able to squeeze up to 3lbs of force, and move his wrist about 30 degree angle.

I have moved EVERYTHING to state farm. I was at a body shop with a friend the other day, the guy at the body shop said "Oh god yes! Progressive is one of the worse, also avoid Nation wide, and General. They're just as bad." Not that I would go with one of them, but it's good to know. Especially since they're a progressive recommended shop. If a shop that is "on progressive's side" tells you they're horrible, that DEFINITELY speaks volumes about their service.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #14
Gawernator
Read only user

AMA #: 3223595

Motorcycles: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Name: Andrew
I have Progressive through USAA and have had good experiences and low rates so far... sorry you had such a bad experience
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
MSHax

I was digging deep in my family tree to find ANYONE that would qualify me to get USAA